Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: How long should/could a query letter be?

practical experience, FTW

How long should/could a query letter be?

I just re-did my query. It works a lot better now but it's a lot longer - 420 words. Too long?

The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me. WillSauger's Avatar
    Don't Fear Failure.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

resident curmudgeon
    One page. Query letter or the novel itself, you have abut 250 words, tops, to grab an agent or editor. And with a query letter, you'd better be able to do it with one sentence. Far, far too many query letters are nothing more than this happens, then this happens, and then this happens.

One really good sentence has a much better chance of selling a query than five hundred words of synopsis.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    One page. Query letter or the novel itself, you have abut 250 words, tops, to grab an agent or editor.
    Do you mean 250 words for the novel synopsis?

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    merlot, all your questions on queries and synopses can be answered in the Query Letter Hell subforum in the Share Your Work forum (password: vista). I'm going to close this thread now.