Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Fantasy or something else?

Fantasy or something else?

I am not sure either the story I'm planning right now is a Fantasy story or not.

The setting is a fictional world. Basically, a kind called X (didn't think of a name) comitts genocide against the people living in the land they desire. All the Onyxes are wipped off by the X's. Thing is the Onyxes are magical people, who are able to canalize the powers of the gods they believe in by a stone attached to the skin of the back of their hand when they are young.

The X's realize this and simply cut off their arms before killing them in concentration camps. MC #2 is the only Onyx who escaped (with a arm missing, therefore she can't use her magic), because she wasn't as dependent of her magic.

Fast forwarding to the beginning of the story, all the Onyxes are dead for five years and the weather grows colder. MC #1 is a Doctor who is struggling with the beggining of what seems to be a plague. The Xs believe in a god too, and all MC# 1 does is pray for the sick and clean corpses.

The story is basically MC# 1 and MC# 2 meeting and discovering what is the embryo of science in their world. There are no gods, only the power of the stone the Onyxes used. Somewhere in the story MC #1 receives the power of the Onyxes by carving a stone to his arm, btw.

So it is fantasy because of the stone, right? Even though the story revolves around science?

S.O.S?
    Sci-fi novel: The Golden Age

Final draft ~ Done, revised, edited and put together. Off to beta readers and professional ortographic revision!

Steampunk novel: The one who knows better

Outlining stage

Also not sure if "carving" is the right verb. They attach the stone to their flesh by a ritual surgery-like. Just to clarify.
    Sci-fi novel: The Golden Age

Final draft ~ Done, revised, edited and put together. Off to beta readers and professional ortographic revision!

Steampunk novel: The one who knows better

Outlining stage

Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    Alternate world, Gods, magic. Sounds like fantasy to me.

Definitely fantasy.
    -- Myrea

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
    Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

practical experience, FTW
    Sounds like Fantasy to me too.

Agreed - fantasy. Sci fi doesn't have actual magic, other than the sense of 'advanced technology seeming like magic'.

practical experience, FTW Tezzirax's Avatar
    Sounds like fantasy to me...I think what really seals the deal is that the characters believe its magic and gods, at least until they begin defining the actual science. Even magic can have a science behind it, and vice versa.
    My Blog: Thomas Cardin
    My books, The Final Warden, City of Thunder, Lord of Vengeance

WIP: The Fire of Falraan

Erotica.

Just kidding. Fantasy.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    It's fantasy, although you might be able to call it science fantasy, which is a hybrid of science fiction and fantasy. However, it's a better fit to call it just plain ol' fantasy.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

I'm with jjdebenedictis - you can have both fantasy and science and still lean more toward fantasy.

Think Star Wars! It's perfectly sci-fi with ships and space and light-speed travel... but the basis (at least for the three original ones) is this power that is pretty much magic and unexplained.

Your case sounds similar except with less overt science. SO, if you're introducing it to anyone, I'd definitely say fantasy - if you want to be more specific, science fantasy is a definite conversation starter.

practical experience, FTW RobertEvert's Avatar
    I'm say fantasy as well. Sounds interesting. Love to read it.
    "In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." -Elwood P. Dowd

AUTHOR OF "RIDDLE IN STONE" NOW AVAILABLE!!!

The first chapter is available here

My Blog:Neurotic Novelists of the World Unite!

Facebook New friends always welcome!

Never have the "Star Wars is Science Fantasy" debate with an ardent fan.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
    Without getting too specific on who the culprit was, I once saw a talk given by a rather famous science fiction writer who spent about ten minutes arguing that point to the audience, even though no one had asked, and it didn't have anything to do with what his talk was supposed to be about.

And then he went off on a tangent about the superiority of the old Star Trek movies, because the new movie had apparently messed up his pet theory for why Spock's father married Spock's mother. Which was also not what his talk was supposed to be about.

I finally just gave up and snuck out.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    If it is correct in your world that there are no gods and the stones work by physical means not metaphysical/magic, it could go either way. AU (fantasy) or alien world (SF).

Quote Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
    One of the classic blunders.

Also - Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein