Hi

crispatu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I'm Chris (awkward AA meeting situation?)
I love the writing world (not exactly every aspect of it) and I like being in the presence of writers.
I've been reading this forum for a while now and I was amazed by the warmth with which every newbie is received.
The reason why I'm here is complicated for me and very simple for you - hopefully.
Newbie questions alert!
1. I've reached a point where I don't know whether to continue writing fiction like a hobby or dedicate myself entirely to it.
I'll wait for the 50th post to share some short stories even though I don't want criticism. I'd like something like : "You should do something else, son !"
I fear three words: pretentious, clicheic and naive.
2. I started writing my book with the idea of having a movie made after it. Should I write scripts ?

A lot of "I"s and Comic Sans. Bad combination. Thank you!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

1. The SYW sections is mostly used to critique and help others better their writing.
You can say, "I only want you to tell me if this is good enough." But the problem is, writing isn't automatically good or bad. Writing is highly subjective and its one thing that can be improved upon most definitely.
Someone can tell you that the writing sucks... but why wouldn't you try better after that?
If I listened to my inner-editor 8 years ago, I wouldn't be writing today.
Writing take time, practice, hard work to craft something, and then you need to refine it down into something that shines.
If you're going to post in the SYW section, do it to better yourself and your writing. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. Dunno.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

We have a screenwriting forum that may give you some answers.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome, Chris. :welcome:

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy! Nice introduction...

If you're hoping someone will say, "Do something else, son," then I'm hoping you've already been bitten by the writing bug and cannot stop. At least I hope that's the case, and I equally hope you enjoy the roller coaster ride we call writing.

crispatu

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.
-WillSauger. I feel like talking to God.
Writing is definitely subjective but an experienced writer/critic can tell if you have a certain quality that is needed to be a good writer.
I'm sure I'll get better at it but my dilemma is what type of writing is beneficial for me: hobby or "profession".
My inner-editor is bipolar.
I enjoy the process of writing but what I enjoy the most is actually liking a page I finished.
From all the arts, writing is imo extremely close to sculpture. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'll look at a page and see only two uncut words.
-Nickie, PorterStarrByrd, regdord, thehairymob,muse. Howdie
-writingismypassion. Glad you liked the intro. It wasn't a bug. It was ChewBigfoot. For me it's like bungee jumping.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chris!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!