Hey there guys :D

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi :) I'm 20, I'm from Portugal, yeah our economy isn't that great.

I'm going to be explaining how I am now, where I came from and where I want to go, this maybe long, TL;DR in the end :)

I'm unemployed, I have a Technician degree in IT but there are few if any jobs around here, and no one will hire me because I have no experience, both in IT an other areas.

I always loved reading even though I usually didn't have the possibility to do so, I always lived far away from the city so I didn't have access to a library and my parents didn't have a lot of money, however I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter. The Sherlock Holmes books that I read were around 30 years old, my grandparents had bought them for my dad when he was a teenager. I love old books, the yellowish pages, the cracks on the cover, the dents on the corners of the pages and stains tell a story by themselves.

Now with internet I've done a lot of research, J. R. R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Arthur C. Clarke and recently George R. R. Martin have become some my favourite writers, though I haven't read much of their work, I use glasses and try not to read too much on my laptop and I don't want to read translations or their work, now that I speak English, I don't have much money so I can't buy the books (though I saw all the LOTR movies and look forward to watching The Hobbit trilogy as well. I also watched the Narnia movies and watch the Game of Thrones series), but to read about their writing processes and who they were, it amazes me and inspires me.

About where I want to go... My dream is to create a company in domotics, I want to make intelligent houses, the kind that you can talk to, and if I had founding and a good team I believe I could make a prototype in a about one year and a half, I have hundreds of systems and thousands of schematics in my head and have though about them from the tiniest detail to the overall design and UIs.

But my hopes of realizing that are diminishing and I don't see how I could make the company.

When I was a kid I loved to read, as previously mentioned, but because I couldn't read a lot I usually wrote a lot of stories as well, most of them few pages long, sometimes I would have ideas for books and started to write them, but I had a lot of troubles in my upbringing and still do now, and I never finished the books.

I've had a depression for over 5 years, but now I really want to finish writing a book, several books actually.

So right now I'm writing 3 books at the same time, a sci-fi novel, a novel and a teenage drama/romance, I'm thinking about starting to work on a fantasy universe too and I want to do it the Tolkien way, minus creating whole languages.

So yeah, that's who I am and what I'm doing.

TL;DR: I'm 20, I'm unemployed and I'm trying to write 3 books at the same time and I think I'm going to had a 4th soon.

I hope I didn't bore you too much, thank you for reading :)

PS: Why is Tolkien marked as a mistake?! -.-

EDIT: Took out the description of the progress of my books, going to make new post.

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi goshirn!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Your spell-check just might not know Tolkien as a word. It varies. Firefox doesn't have a problem with it unless it's in lowercase.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I've always wanted to visit Portugal!

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes :)

Welcome!

I've always wanted to visit Portugal!

Well, if you want to I could be your guide in my city :) Though visit in the summer, we're also not a very expensive, in the tourist areas to the south you may pay a little more, but that's really it xD

Though visiting and knowing what you're looking at is a must, Portugal is a country rich with history and if you don't tie that history with the monuments it's just cool instead of amazing xD

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you're pretty ambitious. Three books at once. I've never tried that before.

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you're pretty ambitious. Three books at once. I've never tried that before.

Yeah, the teenage romance/drama is much more lightweight writing, the sci-fi will be kind of heavy, because I'm going to talk about immortality and what it means to the human race and it will be a journey about what makes us human, it will be as a journey for the reader as it is for me, because I intend to through writing that book, find what I believe in.

The drama is just going to tear my heart out to write, I've described it in the past to a friend as lots of people that have suffered the worst in their lives will suffer more, some will be pushed to the limits of existence, others will touch insanity, some may even die, it's a story of horrible suffering, a story of tears and injustice, but also a story about connection and how someone can change your life by just interacting with you for mere seconds.

It's going to be very very complex, one of the characters is a kid in Ethiopia called Asnake *btw this name has a meaning, I did research before choosing :3* he and his village have to be without food for 2 days almost every week, because the food is distributed by a cartel, the kid is going to suffer so much more that what he already does... it will be almost unbelievable, almost, that's the trick.

I really can't wait to share my books with you guys, look forward to it, because I'm eager to see what you guys say about it :D

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hello to you, and welcome to AW. If you don't have too much money, I'd suggest you get an e-reader from Amazon. They're under 100 $ now, and you can put hundreds of books on them. And better: you can buy books for free on Amazon or sometimes for only 2 or 3 $. I know how it is to be unemployed, I've been for years too (I live in Belgium and am a teacher). Writing is a good thing to do then. I wrote my two first novels when unemployed (at least had the time for it!). Good luck in finding a job!

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to you, and welcome to AW. If you don't have too much money, I'd suggest you get an e-reader from Amazon. They're under 100 $ now, and you can put hundreds of books on them. And better: you can buy books for free on Amazon or sometimes for only 2 or 3 $. I know how it is to be unemployed, I've been for years too (I live in Belgium and am a teacher). Writing is a good thing to do then. I wrote my two first novels when unemployed (at least had the time for it!). Good luck in finding a job!

Thanks for the tips, I've been thinking about getting a kindle, a paper white would be preferable, but any would do, my problem is that in Portugal people don't use credit cards much, more debit cards, so I don't have one neither does my father or anyone close to me. And with it being more than 20 euros it's already very expensive for me, we are four and live with about 400 euros per month so :/ but I do want to get one so I can read more :)

Edit: Also used ones are completely out of the question, there are people here trying to sell old kindles for 65 euros! Those are the cheapest ones, if I wanted to buy some of the new models used it would be much more expensive than new ones :/

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Welcome to the forum! Sometimes you can get refurbished Kindles directly from Amazon which can knock some money off the cost.

I wonder if a local library might be a better option for you, though. Are there any nearby?

My book "Dragon Tamers" was released in Portugese and I got to speak to a lot of lovely people from over there. I hope to visit one day! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

goshirn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcomes :D

I wonder if a local library might be a better option for you, though. Are there any nearby?

My book "Dragon Tamers" was released in Portugese and I got to speak to a lot of lovely people from over there. I hope to visit one day! :)

Cool :3 and not really, there isn't a library near me, I would have to go to the city and I don't want to read Tolkien translated, because well it's translated and just out of respect, also I like to read in English more and because I write in English it would help me more too.