• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Online Writing Groups - Different Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have and don't want a Facebook account. I don't want to visit Facebook. I don't want Facebook to know I live on this planet. I am anti-Facebook - for myself. If y'all want a Facebook group, why do you need it to be tied to AW? Just asking.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have and don't want a Facebook account. I don't want to visit Facebook. I don't want Facebook to know I live on this planet. I am anti-Facebook - for myself. If y'all want a Facebook group, why do you need it to be tied to AW? Just asking.

Um, nobody is saying you have to join Facebook. I'm merely suggesting that if some group members want to create groups and chat on Facebook, they can have at it. For those who wish to chat via e-mail, no problem. I don't understand why you think we "need it to be tied to AW"? AW is where writers hang out so this is where we make contacts with fellow writers. If anyone then wants to use the FB platform to create a closed group, I really don't understand the problem. That's not to say the e-mail groups will go away.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Speaking of chat, I've used AOL's Instant Messenger chat thingee to hash stuff out in a group project; main problem with chat is that it tends to confine everything to two-line thoughts.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of chat, I've used AOL's Instant Messenger chat thingee to hash stuff out in a group project; main problem with chat is that it tends to confine everything to two-line thoughts.

I'm not fond of the IM type chats. The one good thing about the FB groups is the format, IMHO. I belong to a closed poodle group and it's an easy way to have discussions. I'm happy with the e-mail convo's as well though! :)

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy with emails, facebook and IM ^_^ but then I like to be immediate when it comes to brainstorming. I'd rather have a conversation than wait hours between messages, I lose my train of thought.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy with emails, facebook and IM ^_^ but then I like to be immediate when it comes to brainstorming. I'd rather have a conversation than wait hours between messages, I lose my train of thought.

E-mails and FB groups are great because you have a record of the conversation in case you want to revisit something. I forget what was said on IM the minute I close the little box! LOL

Vikingessa

Tangled...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vikingessa.com
I would like to join the Horror group, please. Haven't been as regular like as I used to be years ago, but in my defense I have no personal computer yet...although I will have one in a few days. I have a mentee who sometimes brainstorms with me and asks simple questions, which always helps. Maybe this will help, especially when I can't reach her.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to join the Horror group, please. Haven't been as regular like as I used to be years ago, but in my defense I have no personal computer yet...although I will have one in a few days. I have a mentee who sometimes brainstorms with me and asks simple questions, which always helps. Maybe this will help, especially when I can't reach her.

I need your e-mail address, please.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve noticed lots of people have issues with facebook. I don’t care for it myself, but what about setting up a private yahoo group? Anything sent to the group remains in the archive. (So there’s a record) and since it would be a members only group the archive would be locked to outsiders? So the posts are only viewable by members of the group.

I run several yahoo groups, so I just thought I’d make the suggestion in case someone is interested in doing it that way.

It would be a way to say hey to everyone all at once, do an intro and get to know each other as well...one email sent to the group goes to everyone. Or you can choose to send emails to individual members. It’s just a suggestion.

That sounds much better than Facebook to be fair. I would organise it, but I'm not a group leader >.>

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Updated!
Groups will be limited to approximately 10 members. If there's enough interest, new groups can be added for each genre.

YA: - CLOSED
Bing Zabriskie
Ellielle
Trisha
Krissy Reynolds
A. C. Thomas
Rowan
ThatKnight64
Mike_Gasaway
Holy_Shiitake
ConnieBDowell
Almondjoy
BarbaraSheridan
HatTrick

Commercial/Mainstream:
Bushrat
Bing Zabriskie
Hankleton
Holy_Shiitake
I_Love_Coffee
chloecomplains

Mystery/Crime Drama/Police Procedural:
Rowan
Bushrat
Chase
Hankleton
ConnieBDowell

Urban / Paranormal Fantasy:
Rowan
benluby
French Maiden
WriterWho
L. Blake
Pinkclaw
chloecomplains
Satori1977

SciFi / Fantasy:
JayD
WriteMinded
Reziac
phantasy
Elielle
simonalexander2005
Michel_Cayer
PinkClaw
TMCan
HatTrick
AshleyEpidemic
Mecegirl
JFitchett92
Keyaroscuro

(Below listed members: Please let me know which group you prefer--SciFi/F or UF/PF.)
Xaenyth
Ergodic Mage

Children's Literature (MG):
A. C. Thomas
ThatKnight64
HatTrcik

Romance:
Hankleton
NewKidOldKid
WriterWho
Allison Kelsey
HatTrick