The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweete Sinz Publishing (formerly Dark Storm, Phoenix Fire, Mystic Press, et al.)

Sweete Sinz Publishing (formerly Dark Storm, Phoenix Fire, Mystic Press, et al.)

Phoenix Fire Publishing came to my attention via a Tweet by Victoria Strauss, but I could not find a thread about Phoenix Fire or their previous publishing house, Mystic Press.

Phoenix Fire Publishing is Tabetha Jones's new publishing house. The blogs discussing problems and concerns are Phoenix Fire Publishing Owner Publishes Fake Customer Testimonials and Author Warns Mystic Press Reopening Under New Name.

websites:
    http://phoenixfirepublishing.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixFirePublishing

Wendy Hunyor (aka Morrigan Michele) and Brandy Peay opened Mystic Press January 2012, as stated in this blog entry. Tabetha Jones (aka Zoey Sweete) and her fiance Eric Henley came on board later that month.

Not only is she making our publishing dreams come true but has also offered The Sweetes a part in both of her companies, Mystic Press and Spotlight Marketing and Public Relations, which both of us are Co-Owners, and has turned all of our dreams into reality.
    In a friend's blog, Jones asserted the problems with Mystic Press were Hunyor's and Peay's fault.

Two months after taking over I had authors that had previously come to me asking me where their money was at. I had no idea what they were talking about. Through the help of their patience I finally found out the truth. The previous owners had taken hundreds almost thousands of dollars from these authors and never did a lick of work for them. And they were not the only ones that got conned. I was to be paid 1500 dollars for my work and never received a penny.
    websites:
    http://www.mysticpress.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/mysticpress
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Oh, boy. Thanks, Bicyclefish.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    This is a horrible example of what can happen when an amateur publisher wants "to make your dream come true". It turns into a nightmare.

Good lord.

Who has "I can make sure you never get published again" on their amateur epublisher bingo card?
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

practical experience, FTW JinxVelox's Avatar
    Just... wow.

And since they charge for their services, they cross that line from "small epublisher" to "vanity press", which is probably putting it nicely.

Either way, it is very unfortunate for anyone who got involved with Mystic Press, and was subsequently screwed over by them.

Ms. Jones did not do herself any favors in her attempts to defend herself. Every comment she made on those blog posts was completely lacking in professionalism. If she gets wind of this thread, then I am sure we will see yet another spectacular BR&BC meltdown.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    'Tis the season for this sort of publishing insanity.

This is what, the third or fourth this month? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    'Tis the season for this sort of publishing insanity.

And we haven't even got started on the eggnog!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    This is a horrible example of what can happen when an amateur publisher wants "to make your dream come true". It turns into a nightmare.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want a publisher who "makes dreams come true" - my dreams are weird

I want one who sells books to readers
    Last edited by Eriador117; 12-11-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: forgot a word

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Ms Jones seems to think you can become the official co-owner of a company and yet take no responsibility whatsoever for what that company does (or fails to do).
    Emily Veinglory

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace
    Jones is over at my blog making the usual hash of things. Two of the people leaving comments in her defense are using proxy servers to mask their IPs. I know this because I doubt they work for NASA, which is where the IPs trace back to.

Quote Originally Posted by cussedness View Post
    Jones is over at my blog making the usual hash of things. Two of the people leaving comments in her defense are using proxy servers to mask their IPs. I know this because I doubt they work for NASA, which is where the IPs trace back to.
    Well, if they did it would help to explain why we haven't sent a manned mission to Mars yet...

I found it odd that several of the authors writing on the PhoenixFire blog page have such similar voices, grammatical tics, etc. So I followed a little hunch.

At least one of the "Author Photos" on the PhoenixFire blog "Authors" page is an image either grabbed from an image website, or the author's photo has been stolen and placed on such a website. Check the image search results. That particular girl has several photos of herself up, in different poses and hair colors/styles.

The others seem to be legit, on further checking, but that one...

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Yes, my blog got a plethora of comments over this too.
    Emily Veinglory

Good God. Is there something in the water?

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Stacia, some of those images are the model from some of the Phoenix Fire covers, if I'm not mistaken. Since she's one of their authors, and since they're charging authors for covers, it's feeling pretty incesty to me.

And that's not even the worst thing about 'em.

Maryn, sighing over such folly
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

I thought it looked like the cover model, too, Maryn. Glad I'm not the only one.

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    This might be a little petty but wow their site is ugly. It looks like the phoenix is coming out of a butt, not a book.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    I had the same impression, Anarchic Q. I actually started laughing out loud, until I realized that wasn't what it's meant to be.
    Visit my website.

Oh, that's messy.
    Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    I found that phoenix's long lost mate! (NSFW)

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/201...enacious-D.jpg
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Q View Post
    I found that phoenix's long lost mate! (NSFW)

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/201...enacious-D.jpg

Tenacious D rock!
    Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    OK, I think we're getting a little off track here. I don't think long discourses about a logo are going to help authors make a decision on whether a publisher is a good choice for them.

Questions about royalty payments (or lack of), the transferability of contracts from one legal entity to another with or without the author's approval, the question of fees for editing, the question about the professionalism about such editors, the question about who owns or owned what and who did or didn't know what was going on at the first incarnation --- these are good solid questions to ask and follow up with.

Poking fun at their logo is a tad overkill (?) for lack of a better word.

I agree. While the website images do show a certain roughness, they are no worse than the logos and site images from some other established e-publishers. (Examples omitted to protect the guilty.) Poking fun doesn't help new authors make a decision.

The 'happy family' routine is never a good tactic, even if the publisher is exemplary in every other respect. It's a standard recruitment keyword for new businesses that can't offer anything else. I don't know if this is the case with Mystic/Phoenix Fire. Personally, this publisher doesn't meet my criteria for stability. I'm not willing to let someone learn on the job with my mms, and I don't want to be one of the 'kids' hiding upstairs when the principals have a big messy spat leading to divorce.

Everybody starts somewhere, after all, but some businesses start out on much better footing than others.

If this group is around in two or three years, I'll look at them again.

Not all who wander are lost SamanthaLehane's Avatar
    I find it disconcerting that they don't have their own domain name and established website. There doesn't seem to be a single advantage to this publisher over publishing elsewhere or even self-publishing.
    [Future spot for a tasteful yet impressive listing of SF/Fantasy novels along with website and banner. In the meantime, enjoy this photo of a unimpressed Tibetan Fox.]

She who must be obeyed Amanda R.'s Avatar
    The first thing that set off bells for me was that their website is a blogspot. That's not very professional.
    Amanda R.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast