Not open for further replies.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi guys,

Has anyone gone to RT and signed? I was planning on going to the conference and just doing the workshops and parties, but when I registered it offered for me to do a signing.

What's it like?

I'm ebook only at the moment and will most likely have a full length novel out by then (tentative February 2013 pub date) so I won't just be signing the novellas.

How does the ebook signing work there? Do I bring bookmarks/Swag and sign them or do they set up a kindlegraph type of thing? All the blurb said was they had a 3rd party vendor handle the ebooks.

The 2014 conference is in New Orleans!!! Now *that's* going to be a party! :partyguy:

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I was there last year, and honestly the eBook signing was more of a 'walk around and talk to authors/grab swag' type of event. We had cover flats to give to someone if they wanted to buy our book, but most of the signing etc was done on swag we brought in with us. I wouldn't worry about the length, with an eBook it's not like people are going to see a thin book and keep walking, know what I mean?

The third party that handled it last year was All Romance eBooks and they did a good job. You could offer Kindlegraph, but it would probably be better to just sign swag you bring with you.

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Thanks Ann.

What was the most popular swag? I was thinking of doing book marks or cover flats with QR codes and maybe jump drives with my website (depending on price). I was also thinking of making a bunch of earrings and have a sticker on the back of the earring holder with my website.

This will be my first convention and I was originally going to go to scout out the landscape and see what marketing stuff worked and what was left on the tables. But then things picked up for me :D and I didn't want to waste the opportunity.

Did you guys also advertise in the program?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Jamie, I can tell you that at the end of the convention there were loads and loads and loads of paper swag that people threw away. I saw this at all three conventions that I went to. In my thinking, and I'm sure others could argue other points, it is better to keep your paper swag to a minimum and focus on something more tangible that the reader will keep and look at. Something they could use in their everyday life, but no keep it in a deep dark closet because it's a water bottle with a pair of man titty's on it. Know what I mean?

So yes, earings would be nice, but do you know the AMOUNT of earrings you're going to need? Think close to 2-500. Seriously. You may end up with more than you need, but you can always give any leftovers to people you pass in the hall, get a table at swag alley, etc.

What you, once again IMO, need to think about is what swag would fit your books/brand, how you are going to make your name stick out(not just your stuff), and how much time and money you want to spend. Once you have that figured out, you can go swag shopping. There are a shit ton of places that sell just about every kind of swag out there. Everything from personalized mints, to dildos with your name on it.

Yeah, I know.

So do your research. I'm not saying don't get any kind of bookmark, coverflat, etc., but make sure that you have something shiny to draw people to your table so you can strike up a conversation. You being you is way more important than what you give away and it is what will make the reader remember you in the long run.

S

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
to dildos with your name on it.
:Jaw: LOL! "Say my name!!" How to be the unforgettable author at RT. . . heh. You know. I bet you get a lot of buzz for giving those away. ::rimshot::

Thanks Ann! Lots of good stuff to think about. :D Once things are a bit more finalized, I'm going to ask my publisher what they think too. I'll come back and share what I find.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The ebook signing is a separate event. IMHO it would be more worth it if you were actually selling the ebook. They have a system for you to do that if you can wrangle individual sales codes. Its a huge signing with score of tables. There is piles if swag there and honestly I doubt much of it makes much of an impression.

bookgirlac

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelacampbellonline.com
I haven't been to RT, but I had some friends who went last year and they were e-published as well. Our publisher supplied them with copies of their books on CD with inserts of the cover that could be signed. From my understanding, this was well received. As for swag, I have attended other conferences and bookmarks are probably the most common swag given out and also seem to be the thing most people toss in the trash. Sad, but true. In my experience, the best swag is something relevant to your story that's either a novelty or something that serves a purpose. For example, a friend distributed pet bandanas featuring her book title and author website printed on them; her book featured a dog as one of the secondary characters. Those were snatched up and a big hit. I saw another author give out keychains that had a flashlight on the end, with her author website printed on them. She writes mystery novels. Also a big hit. Hope those examples help.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Here in Chicago last April, the e-book signing was not a separate event. We could sell e-books via "cards" with a buy code on them through aRe. There were like a dozen of us from my e-publisher present and none of us sold a single e-book. The expense of getting the cards printed, etc., was of course all ours as authors. The publisher set up a nice display for us on the table, but the swag hall was a long, narrow, nasty place to be in, and I believe reader-attendees avoided it. I saw many, many more people in the public signing/shopping event, so my guess is that's where they preferred to be.

As far as swag, the best bang for my buck was with the mousepads with my covers on them. They went like hotcakes and I believe I gave something of value. Again, the expense was mine, but given a second chance, I'll do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.