Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Avatars overdone?

Help! I need some advice.

Iíve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of ďavatarĒ is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

That hairy-handed gent
    Absolutely. The movies (shudder) were the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that word. Invent something more original.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Not responsible for bitten fingers Shadow_Ferret's Avatar
    Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

Think of another word for the proper use of the word indeed! That's just silly.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
    Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

I agree.

practical experience, FTW
    Don't worry about it. Probably by the time your book comes out, people will have forgotten those movies. When I first started showing my WIendlessP to people, it was about the time of the LOTR movies, and everyone was saying, oh, you can't use magic rings.

Pbbbt, I say. Pbbbbbt.

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down. Melanie Dawn's Avatar
    stick with it, those are poor examples of the word. You're on the right track!
    My Blog
    http://melaniedawnmcgreevey.wordpress.com/
    Beautiful Tragedy (vol 1)
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/melanie-mcg...B42E30BD938A39

Butterfly- A Beautiful Tragedy 26,521/?????? (Erotic Romance) on hold

Current Project #2: Unnamed romance novel 57,109/?????? first draft

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    What Da Ferret said

IIRC, Babylon Steel (by AW's Broadswordbabe) makes use of avatars in the sense you are talking about and calls them that. Because, well, because that's what they are I assume..I never once thought of the cartoon while I was reading - though in the cartoon wasn't the avatar the divine entity reborn or somesuch?

Don't call your rabbits smerps, or your avatars bingley beeps.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post

Yes please! Take the word back for those of us who know what it was supposed to mean.
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

The Pudgy Ninja Weighs In

Oh, yes, please take back the word from people with only a shallow popularized concept of what it means. There are some other words we could take back, too...
    Blog: Blue Night, Black Iron, Golden Rope
    My art on SaatchiArt online

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere acockey's Avatar
    @OP if the word makes you uncomfortable enough not to use after the above advice, consider using the term "Surrogates" i.e. that cool Bruce Willis movie. Maybe your piece could trendize (not a word) that term

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy

Though I agree with the general consensus, I wouldn't recommend using the word avatar in the title. That's where you'll get people associating it with the films. People who can't get past other things when the word is used in context probably aren't part of your target audience anyway.

I'd say stick with it. If a publisher wants you to change it down the line, then maybe, but I wouldn't worry about it. Avatar has the original meaning, and the meaning William Gibson gave it.

Call it what you want, but don't feel you have to change it because of blue cat people running around in loincloths.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

The Micah Grey Series:
    Pantomime - February 2013
    Shadowplay - January 2014
    Masquerade - 2015

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads

I agree with the majority. You are actually using the word for what it was meant to be used for.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughtful replies. This does ease my mind on the subject.

Often misses his target BabySealWriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marniy View Post
    Help! I need some advice.

Iíve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of ďavatarĒ is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
    It really depends on your use of the word. I haven't read anything but you description leads me to believe that you are using the word by its textbook definition. I think it is more than ok for you to use it. Critiques are great but it is still your book. If you feel comfortable keeping it then keep it.

The Kingfisher Books
    Book 1-
    Beneath the Shadow of Long Wings (Completed)

Book 2-
    Within a Nest for Shattered Kings
    (50,000- ???)

Book 3-
    Hold the Kingfisher's Gifts to Bring(???)

The Self Righteous ( 87,000- 80,000- Shelved)

Cathedral's Calling (Sci-Fi 10,000-???)

all hail zombie babies! CrastersBabies's Avatar
    I also think you're okay. Avatar (the movie) is something completely different than what usually comes to mind when I think of "avatar."

Never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender or whatever it was (movie or television series).

I think of gods inhabiting human form. I have the same concept in my book (though it's part of the mythology, not the present story). I called the original vessels "avatars." It's what they were.
    "That is hoity-toity nonsense." ~ Bufty

practical experience, FTW Tezzirax's Avatar
    if you absolutely have to stay clear of the word 'avatar', manifestation has worked for me.
    My Blog: Thomas Cardin
    My books, The Final Warden, City of Thunder, Lord of Vengeance

WIP: The Fire of Falraan