Child killed for not memorizing the Koran

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
In a video recording of her police interview shown earlier, the jury heard Mrs Ege say: "I was trying to teach him the Koran but he was not very good.

"I was getting more and more frustrated, if he didn't read it properly I would be very angry - I would hit him.

"We had a high target, I wanted him to learn 35 pages in three months. I promised him a new bike if he could do it.

"But Yaseen wasn't very good - after a year of practice he had only learned a chapter."

Mrs Ege, a university graduate who grew up in India before marrying British husband, Yousuf, 38, was becoming more and more frustrated with her son's inability to memorise passages of the Koran, the court heard.

She told officers: "I was getting all this bad stuff in my head, like I couldn't concentrate. I was getting angry too much. I would shout at Yaseen all the time.

"I was getting very wild - I use to beat him with a stick."

The court was told the defendant also hit her son with a hammer, a rolling pin and a slipper as well as repeatedly punching him.

The jury has also heard that she would also lock him in the shed, tie him to a door, and force him to do push ups.

The court was told that months after her son's death, Mrs Ege told a doctor that she felt "100% better" after he died, believing she been told to kill him by Shaitan - an Islamic name for the devil.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-20415188

I hope this woman gets locked away forever.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i say they quiz her on the koran and put a bullet in her head for every error.

Wulfric

Registered
Reaction score
Question: Can this Woman recite the Qur'an from start to finish?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I like Haskins' idea.

Although I have to say that's one way they could clean up the "No Child Left Behind" statistics. Get a passing grade or you won't be screwing up the curve the next time they're given. Preparation for "publish or perish" later in their academic life. :D

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Just one more sad example of a supposedly non-violent religion killing people in its name.

The devil made me do it. Yeah, I can see it...not.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just one more sad example of a supposedly non-violent religion killing people in its name.

The devil made me do it. Yeah, I can see it...not.

No, it's "just" one more sad example of one individual killing another and blaming someone/something else for it. The woman isn't the living embodiment and representation of her religion.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia, no, she is not the living embodiment of her religion. Rather poorly worded on my part but all the same, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the religious leaders accepted such an act.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Her religion is sort of beside the point isn't it? I mean, there is an Arkansas legislator pushing for the death penalty for children for simple disobedience.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/08/arkansas-republican-endorses-death-penalty-for-children/
“The maintenance of civil order in society rests on the foundation of family discipline,” he wrote, according to an excerpt published by The Arkansas Times. “Therefore, a child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents. The death penalty for rebellioius children is not something to be taken lightly. The guidelines for administering the death penalty to rebellious children are given in Deut 21:18-21.”

No sane person would ever claim that this was a characteristic of Christian religion.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia, no, she is not the living embodiment of her religion. Rather poorly worded on my part but all the same, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the religious leaders accepted such an act.

Would you cite the relevant texts that they would base their acceptance of harming and murdering your child for not memorising the Koran upon, please? Or link to some examples where a religious leader (do you mean an Imam? Or an Ayatollah? Or... ?) has said or done something similar, that you are basing your belief on?

(I hope you don't think I'm picking on you - you've posted in Politics & Current Events, and you're expected to be able to back up your statements. I'm interested in the evidence you have.)

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

Sadly, I immediately thought of this recent story.

A 7-year-old boy was beaten to death by his parents last week after he failed to read the Bible and do his homework, according to Metro Police.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Would you cite the relevant texts that they would base their acceptance of harming and murdering your child for not memorising the Koran upon, please? Or link to some examples where a religious leader (do you mean an Imam? Or an Ayatollah? Or... ?) has said or done something similar, that you are basing your belief on?

(I hope you don't think I'm picking on you - you've posted in Politics & Current Events, and you're expected to be able to back up your statements. I'm interested in the evidence you have.)

---

Yeah, you are picking on me and I'm upset! (Not, not really).

Okay, if you want examples of apostasy, check out the links in the Wiki (I know, every scholar's choice) article on "Apostasy in Islam". See #35, 36, 40-42 at the bottom for further links. Now, to be fair, most of the leaders of Islam do NOT condone killing anyone for apostasy, citing they'll be punished in the afterlife.

However, a number of prominent Muslim figures have been targeted or killed as they allegedly went against the tenets of Islam, Salman Rushdie, as a prime example. See the links and you'll find the names of the Imams who issued edicts. Depending on the branch of Islam, they may not be binding, but Rushdie is still in hiding, isn't he?

There have been other incidents of stoning a person to death, in Pakistan fairly recently, if I'm not mistaken. In one case, the woman was spared. In another, I believe a woman was killed.

As for parents murdering their children, which I consider to be more heinous than rape, I'll try to look for other sources and post later on. (Work calls).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You can't cite extremists of any religion as being indicative of said religion's mainstream ideals or philosophy.

(Am I reading that wrong, or did this child live with more than one parent while he was being abused?)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the boy was killed for not trying hard enough to learn.

in afghanistan, the taliban kill girls for trying to learn at all.

fun!

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
It's not apostasy for a child to have a limited capacity to memorize the Koran. As I read this story, the religious aspect seemed almost beside the point. This comes across as someone obsessed with control and self-image, who vented her frustration by abusing her child for any lapse from her standards of perfection.

I'd bet that if the mother had been raised as a first class musician, and had gained approval and status at the age of seven for that, she would have murdered this child for failing to play the entirety of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier perfectly by the age of seven. But I wouldn't expect Andras Schiff to approve, even if he is considered one of the leading authorities on Bach's fugues alive today.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
People like this exist all over the globe. They are monsters. But religion is not the causative factor, imo

They simply seek out and use whatever religion is in their culture as a template and structure to justify the sickness which is already present within them. If there were no religions they would abuse and kill anyway, using some other reason to do so.

It may well be that certain religions are more suitable for providing the template than others -- the more authoritarian the religion, the better it fits, i would think. But ultimately that's a pointless argument because that murderous mindset is already there, and any religion (or any other thing, for that matter) will do.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It may well be that certain religions are more suitable for providing the template than others -- the more authoritarian the religion, the better it fits, i would think. But ultimately that's a pointless argument because that murderous mindset is already there, and any religion (or any other thing, for that matter) will do.

As a case in point, anyone interested in this psychopathology should read Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer. With this caveat: If you like happy endings with warm fuzzy bunny cuddly stuff . . . maybe not.

caw

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was that it sounds like she might have had serious mental problems, and was possibly experiencing religious-themed delusions or hallucinations.

I think in some cases, religion can inspire and encourage abuse if people fall under the guidance of people who excuse it with religious teachings. But abusers are also inclined to justify their actions. I also think a lot of abusers have trouble moderating their own behavior. As much as I disagree with it, a non-abusive, controlled parent can generally spank their child without putting them at risk of serious physical harm. But I think a some abusive parents honestly don't realize how extreme they are.

In this case, I don't see enough to make me assume that her faith directly encouraged her to treat her son like this. We don't know if the imam she was trying to impress encouraged her to be harsh with her son, or if this pressure was all in her own head.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm with DancingMaenid on this one. I need more info before I can conclude this woman was definitely not psychotic. What gives me pause is that she told a doctor that the devil told her to kill her son, even while she was trying to make him learn the Quran. The fact that the two concepts contradict each other -- seemingly opposed to the devil and in thrall to the devil at the same time -- suggest to me a possibility of delusion, maybe even command hallucination. Or it could be just a garbled account of the events. I'm not ready to say that this was even religious extremism gone wild before I know more.

But it was definitely abuse and murder. That much I'm sure of. Just not of the motivating factor.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen kids abused and killed because they wouldn't potty train or because they wouldn't stop crying. I guess I should have realized that things like this are only done by scary brown people or sheeplike churchgoers.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think this was less about religion and more an over-controlling parent, wanting the child to shine so that he might reflect well on her. If they were secular, it might be his grades. Or sport.