• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] Front Porch Romance

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It looks like another self-publishing expansion deal. IMHO, I would wait to see if she can sell her own books from this platform before jumping on board.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
According to the FPR website the only named member of staff is Madison Connors:

Madison Connors, owner/CEO/publisher, has many years in the publishing industry and has decided to open her own e-publishing house. She has worked with hundreds of authors over the years and has completed her first historical western romance series, which will be sold through Front Porch Romance.
http://66.147.240.170/~frontpo5/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70&zenid=102oamnkc5e43gmp3o1mqe0ij7

It would be helpful to know exactly what experience she has in publishing and in what capacity she's worked with "hundreds of authors". Google turns up a couple of interviews in which she's described as a "marketing guru", for what that's worth, but nothing else.

There are umpteen categories listed but only three books so far, all of them by...Madison Connors. There are no extracts and I can't find any of the books on Amazon, but Ms Connors has provided some information about them:

Kate Winslow has loved Rome Sterling, her brother's best friend, since she was a teenage girl. Unfortunate for her he has never noticed her, except to give her a hard time. Over the years, Rome has ridiculed her and hurt her feelings, but one morning Kate learns why Rome has always been so resilient of her affection.

I'd be so much more interested if Kate had loved Rome since she was a teenage boy. And..."resilient of her affection"?

Postmistress Joslyn Manning will always be considered the town spinster at the ripe old age of twenty-four. Never had a serious beau or any proposals in her life, she has given up on ever marrying. Her days are spent sorting mail, listening to gossip and feeling envious of her best friend Sarah Browning who remarried recently and gushes of happiness.

Newcomer Preston Cutler settles in Sheridan Valley hoping to recover from a his injuries acquired during the war. He's a solitude man not looking for friendship, let alone love, but when he lays eyes upon Joslyn, he is instantly smitten with her. Shamed by his physical scars, Preston feels no woman would ever be attracted to him, let alone fall in love with him.

"Gushes of happiness" sounds a bit strong for a sweet romance. And don't rush into anything, Preston - there's nothing wrong with being a solitude man.

Widow Sarah Browning has spent the last year trying to keep her homestead and ranch running, but not without obstacles ranging from no money to local ranchers trying to 'steal' her 500-acre land with marriage proposals and outright thievery. But this mother of four refuses to give up or give in. She's determined to prove every man from the Mississippi River to the foothills of the Colorado Mountains that she is a survivor and needs no man in her life to endure hardships. Although a little assistance to keep the local men at bay isn't out of the question.

Drifter Clint Houston will never allow another woman to blindside him, just as he'll never forget the child he lost to a woman's selfishness. Still mourning his son, Clint heads west in search of a new life and land to start over. He's expecting to find government land ready for the taking, what he doesn't expect is finding Sarah in dire straits with four young'uns who need a fatherly figure.

Did you notice the missing word? I had to read this blurb several times before I caught it. And I still can't quite work out whether Sarah can endure hardships without a man or doesn't need a man with whom to endure hardships. I may be over-thinking this one.

If the actual books are as poorly-written as the blurbs I'd give Front Porch Romance a miss.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Ye gods. I didn't think it could get worse than the malapropism in the first one.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very wary of the fact that the only listed staff member, Madison Connors, is publishing her own books through Front Porch Romance. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

As for her experience, Bing says that she was an acquiring editor with Prism Book Group. You will, however, have to look at the cached page, as the one in the search results redirects to a 404.

Edited to add: LaylahHunter pointed out that the link between Madison Connors of FPR and Madison Conors/Conners of Prism Book Group is tenuous at this time.

Last edited:

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very wary of the fact that the only listed staff member, Madison Connors, is publishing her own books through Front Porch Romance. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

As for her experience, Bing says that she was an acquiring editor with Prism Book Group. You will, however, have to look at the cached page, as the one in the search results redirects to a 404.

That may or may not be the same person, even; that page uses the spelling "Connors" once, but "Conners" the rest of the time -- unless the Madison Connors of FPR confirms that she is one and the same, I would call that link potential but uncertain.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I've just noticed this:

I love the wide ranges of genres that erotic romance offers as I used to work for a GLBT publisher, but I feel the mainstay of romance is always going to be in demand.
http://romancemarketplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012_11_01_archive.html

I would have thought it unlikely that anyone would work for both a GLBT publisher and a publisher of mainly inspirational/Christian romances such as Prism Book Group, but the Madison Connors of Prism "especially loves historical westerns" - which is exactly what the Madison Connors of FPR writes.

Last edited:

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That may or may not be the same person, even; that page uses the spelling "Connors" once, but "Conners" the rest of the time -- unless the Madison Connors of FPR confirms that she is one and the same, I would call that link potential but uncertain.

Nice catch. Thanks! :)

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
This new pub actually emailed me a few weeks back, letting me know they were opening a pub. They saw I mainly have erotic but wanted to let me know if I ever wrote sweet (which I have some coming out soon I hope), that they'd love for me to submit.

I bookmarked them. But after having been burned by a few pubs, I am very wary of new houses.

maddiec

Registered
Reaction score
Just stopping in to answer some of your questions (concerns) about Front Porch Romance.

If I miss anything throughout my post here I will gladly check back in a few days/a week to reply. I know many authors have been burned by publishers. I have witnessed this first hand. Not as an author, but as a promotions person I have seen what authors have gone through- losing royalties, inadequate sales and other assorted issues. So I can appreciate authors being leery of yet another publishing house starting or even contacting them directly about submitting.

Many new publishing houses start out with their own personal books for sale, which I have also done on FPR. The only difference being, I used my name not a pen name to sell the novels. Many publishers sell their own work on their 'new' publishing house website but use a pen name.

Yes, I have one book for sale currently as the official kick-off date was January 7, but I also have five books under contract (with the editor) and the cover work is complete for two of these novels from already published and aspiring authors- not including any more of my work.

One month ago when this post began, I was the only staff member listed. But, if you check now, you will see a cover artist and editor position have been filled. In early to mid-December I was still hiring (and testing) potential staff members. I have proofreaders and have to turn down three cover artists and two other editors for the time being.

As for not being on amazon yet. That is something that I am in the stages of rectifying now. I have the information and account, but I am also hiring a PR person to handle the loading of the products as they are released. I do have our first book for sale on ARe and sales have been very steady since being released on January 7.

I have been in the industry for almost three years as a promotions executive for two publishing houses... and yes, that was my name on Prism books as an acquisitions editor (but is not one of the two publishing houses I worked for that I am referring to here). I chose to leave the company (Prism) due to personal reasons. Thank you for noticing I was there, but the webmaster had my last name misspelled.

The two publishing houses I worked for prior to opening FPR are also new to the industry and I started in promotions with them from the beginning and both those houses have won awards across the board from P&E to the LRC Awards for the last two years. I left those houses to start my own as I have knowledge behind the scenes and wanted to expand the sweet/mainstream romance genres as erotic has overtaken the market.

I hope this answers your questions, but if not, please feel free to post here or email me at FPR. And for WolfeMama, I hope you still have our website guidelines bookmarked.
Madison

ViariRose

Registered
Reaction score
So your working on getting back on Amazon, my question is this you list Bookstrand as a distribution third party site. How do you plan to do that with only 3 titles? As Bookstrand won't even consider a pub house without at least ten titles?

maddiec

Registered
Reaction score
So your working on getting back on Amazon, my question is this you list Bookstrand as a distribution third party site. How do you plan to do that with only 3 titles? As Bookstrand won't even consider a pub house without at least ten titles?

I will be adding Bookstrand by late February when I have more than 10 books for sale on the website. We will have 6 books up by the first of February and I have more manuscripts I am currently reading and reviewing.

Remembering we are a new publisher, we will continue to add more releases and information to the website. This is all a step process.
Thank you for asking about Bookstrand

Last edited:

maddiec

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Madison, welcome to AW!

Just curious, why do you not have excerpts of your published books on your site? Most readers (IME) want to check out a sample before buying.

Hi Stacie- I am working on the website every day and adding more information, including a tab for excerpts. It is a matter of this- I am building this website solely and with only 24 hours in day and doing it via html coding, it is just taking some time. I have an excerpt up on ARe though and will have one on Amazon also when I get the amazon account settled. Thank you for inquiring.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying that you plan to release books by the end of February that you haven't even contracted yet? That seems like an awfully fast release time to me. I'd think editing alone would take more time than that.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
AJ Orchid, welcome to AW! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Since you're working with this publisher, perhaps you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, to give us all some more information on what authors can expect?

Is the sample chapter you've posted online before or after edits; is it the final version which will be published?

How quickly did the editing process go--is it completed now?

Was it an edit (as in, for story, character, etc.) or a line edit/copyedit (sentence structure. grammar, punctuation)? Both? How many editing rounds did the book undergo? Did more than one editor work on it?

Do you know if review copies have been sent out/reviews solicited?

Any information would be helpful to authors considering submitting to Front Porch Romance, so thanks in advance! And of course, please do check out the other areas of the forum; there's a lot of information here, and lots of friendly people. :) I hope to see you around.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
In your website updates I hope you'll expand the "About Us" page to tell potential authors the publishing experience you have.

Also, you'll want to adjust your categories under "Historical" A. J. Orchid's book s definitely not Victorian era. I'm not sure how Action/Military fits under the heading. It should be its own category.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Hi Stacia,
the sample chapter on Goodreads was written long before I submitted to FPR. Any mistakes, typos, flaws etc. you've spotted, anything you dislike, are entirely down to me and nothing to do with the publisher!

Oh, no! Please don't think I was asking because of any sort of "dislike." :) My questions weren't a value judgment on your story, simply a desire to clarify and get more information.

You may want to add a line to your excerpt that states it's a pre-edited version, and the final published version may vary slightly. It's not a necessity, just a good FYI for readers. :)

The editing process was intense, the editor at FPR went through it with a fine toothcomb for both structure and grammar, punctuation etc. Then it went backwards and forwards between us. It's now with a proofreader.

So it was content and line edits, and it's now in copyediting? So at least two rounds (it seems like you're indicating more but I don't want to presume). How much time were you given to address the editorial notes, or was it left open-ended? Was your release date scheduled before edits began, or after?

Again, thanks for the answers! Best of luck with your book; it's a fascinating historical period.

Stacy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, is there any recent news on this publisher?

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Madison -- free webdev advice if you check back here :): you need to convert your background image to a lower resolution. Currently, it causes the page to load painfully slowly the first time someone visits the site.

You (& regular visitors) may not notice, since your web browser will likely have cached the image locally, and thus it will load more quickly. But first-time visitors will be frustrated by it, and may click away.

GIMP is a free program that will let you do this. You might want to scale it down to about 10% of it's current size and let it tile, and/or increase the compression ratio.

This is going to be true almost any time you buy a cool background image: the default size and resolution are high, so that the image can be manipulated and used effectively in print -- but it will need to be reduced for use as a web background.

JE9Lizle

Registered
Reaction score
Front Porch Romance

Hi, is there any recent news on this publisher?

I`ve been told by a lot of people to share my story. Even though I was reluctant, I realized that there are writers who need to have this information to- if nothing else- make an informed decision.

After the founder of the publishing company (Front Porch Romance) and one author of theirs bravely defended the e-pub, I thought at the time that I`ve made the ‘right’ choice to have signed with them. Yes you read right, I had already signed with the publisher when I stumbled on this thread. But because from their emails it sounded like (though they were still starting out and small) they would be able to give their attention to my book. (And I know that there are small presses who actually do this, they are extremely selective & make sure what they put out would ensure they build on a good reputation that`s founded on quality.).

First of all, the author`s comments on editing. I joined FPR in April 2013. I was given a tentative date in July 2013. Because they were still starting out, I didn`t have a problem with this. I`m a newbie author, overzealous when it came to my writing, so I was willing to put in the work in the timeframe. I was led to believe that there would be a stringent editing process that my book wouldn`t see the light of day unless it’s gone through this process.

In June I got my first edit from their editor (I only refer to one since I only dealt with one editor from FPR). I was told I could contact said editor for any questions, etc. The first edit was a line or copy edit. At the time I didn`t know this. I worked on the book, sent it back and waited for the next round of edits. None came.

The end of June loomed and still no edits. For some reason (fate) I went on their website just to see what it was doing. And there was my book being advertised! My heart stopped. I checked the date and saw that it was for the end of June. My mind raced.

I`m not in the US, I`m on the other side of the world, so it was the middle of the night when I saw this: my book advertised to come out at the end of June with no cover. And to top it all off, the end of June was actually the next day! Imagine that. Your book`s going viral and you didn`t know about it. Your book`s going viral with no cover. Your book`s going viral after only one line edit! Yeah I freaked out!

I emailed the editor, then the owner of the e-pub and then one of the author`s who was also scheduled to come out on that day. I needed to know if they were aware of the release date.

I`m still waiting for that editor to get back to me. Seriously. If only to ask: If she knew there was no way she would get back to me after one edit why be all cutesy in her emails like she was my best friend? Yeah I`m still annoyed.

The owner got back to me that night via Facebook. I asked her why the book was going viral without my knowledge and there`s no cover? She told me about a library deal that they got and that due to that the dates had to be pushed up. And that was also the reason why there wasn`t a cover. I expressed my unhappiness with the situation. She agreed to move the date back to mid-July. I was so relieved that I didn`t even think of more editing etc. I was put into contact with a cover artist who was supposed to start (emphasis on start) the cover for my book. As it turned out there was already a worked on cover because it was sent to me minutes after I was told that the cover artist would contact me. Remember this was all happening in the same night!

Needless to say, I didn’t like it. I objected after being told via email (I still have record of that) that I could have final say on the cover. But then I raised some issues and I got a snooty attitude from the artist and was told that the owner had okay-ed the cover already anyway so I should just accept it as it was. As you can guess, at this point I was fried, raw & pissed off! The artist acted like I was being a temperamental, overly sensitive author. And then to top it all off, it looked like the owner and the artist didn`t seem to communicate well. Either that or they were trying to give me the run around. I suspected the latter.

I suggested I`d get my own cover designer. I`ll pay for it. Then I was told I had to pay the artist for the work they`ve put in already. At this point I was way beyond caring and just said that so far I`ve been a trooper in spite of their lack of consideration. And that we wouldn`t be having this problem if work for the book was done in the time frame given. They backed off on that and I was reassured that we would work on the cover together.

Then I got this crazy random email from a man I`ve never dealt with in regards to Front Porch Romance, also emailing me about the cover, stating that they would accommodate me. Then minutes after this email, comes another one, but this time it`s a lot less friendly and basically threatening me that if I want to take my book and go then I should just go.
I`ve spent 48hrs without sleep.

This email came around 4 in the morning. At this point I was done. I closed off my email. I went to bed. I was officially done. I`ve been running on stress-filled adrenaline, I needed a break. When I got up, I was clear headed. But I needed guidance so I did something I should have done a long time ago. I started asking questions and I was advised to take my book & run!
And that was what I did. I replied to the man and my contract got removed with them.

As a new author, new to the writing world I`ve placed too much faith in people and their word. I didn`t want to be a ‘nagging author’ so I didn`t ask questions even when I felt in my gut that something wasn`t right. In the end I got my voice back.

Who wants their book to be released after just one line edit? What author wants to be on the out on what`s happening with their book and its cover?

Like I`ve mentioned before I`m not from the US which means I have to apply for an ITIN to get my royalties. Front Porch Romance didn`t mention anything about this or send forms so that I could apply for this.

This begs the question: would I even have gotten paid? Would there have been constant back and forth`s about payments or maybe not even receiving any payment for years?

These questions came back to haunt me. Yes I got my rights to my book back. I literally got snatched from the fire but I still have chills running down my spine when I think of what could have been.

*sigh*

This is my story. I can`t speak for anyone else. I just hope that this helps to make an informed decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
It sounds like you've had a bad experience on all counts. At least with your rights back you can start subbing again; a book that's been accepted by one publisher can be accepted by others.

The ITIN thing is something I see new publishers stumble over time and time again, and it really pisses me off because you shouldn't be running a business without being able to keep your taxes in order, and knowing that hiring people outside the US impacts that.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Who wants their book to be released after just one line edit?

That alone would be a dealbreaker for me, let alone the debacle with the cover. Sounds to me as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there.

I'm glad you got the rights to your book back.

Stacy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing

I`ve been told by a lot of people to share my story. Even though I was reluctant, I realized that there are writers who need to have this information to- if nothing else- make an informed decision.

After the founder of the publishing company (Front Porch Romance) and one author of theirs bravely defended the e-pub, I thought at the time that I`ve made the ‘right’ choice to have signed with them. Yes you read right, I had already signed with the publisher when I stumbled on this thread. But because from their emails it sounded like (though they were still starting out and small) they would be able to give their attention to my book. (And I know that there are small presses who actually do this, they are extremely selective & make sure what they put out would ensure they build on a good reputation that`s founded on quality.).

First of all, the author`s comments on editing. I joined FPR in April 2013. I was given a tentative date in July 2013. Because they were still starting out, I didn`t have a problem with this. I`m a newbie author, overzealous when it came to my writing, so I was willing to put in the work in the timeframe. I was led to believe that there would be a stringent editing process that my book wouldn`t see the light of day unless it’s gone through this process.

In June I got my first edit from their editor (I only refer to one since I only dealt with one editor from FPR). I was told I could contact said editor for any questions, etc. The first edit was a line or copy edit. At the time I didn`t know this. I worked on the book, sent it back and waited for the next round of edits. None came.

The end of June loomed and still no edits. For some reason (fate) I went on their website just to see what it was doing. And there was my book being advertised! My heart stopped. I checked the date and saw that it was for the end of June. My mind raced.

I`m not in the US, I`m on the other side of the world, so it was the middle of the night when I saw this: my book advertised to come out at the end of June with no cover. And to top it all off, the end of June was actually the next day! Imagine that. Your book`s going viral and you didn`t know about it. Your book`s going viral with no cover. Your book`s going viral after only one line edit! Yeah I freaked out!

I emailed the editor, then the owner of the e-pub and then one of the author`s who was also scheduled to come out on that day. I needed to know if they were aware of the release date.

I`m still waiting for that editor to get back to me. Seriously. If only to ask: If she knew there was no way she would get back to me after one edit why be all cutesy in her emails like she was my best friend? Yeah I`m still annoyed.

The owner got back to me that night via Facebook. I asked her why the book was going viral without my knowledge and there`s no cover? She told me about a library deal that they got and that due to that the dates had to be pushed up. And that was also the reason why there wasn`t a cover. I expressed my unhappiness with the situation. She agreed to move the date back to mid-July. I was so relieved that I didn`t even think of more editing etc. I was put into contact with a cover artist who was supposed to start (emphasis on start) the cover for my book. As it turned out there was already a worked on cover because it was sent to me minutes after I was told that the cover artist would contact me. Remember this was all happening in the same night!

Needless to say, I didn’t like it. I objected after being told via email (I still have record of that) that I could have final say on the cover. But then I raised some issues and I got a snooty attitude from the artist and was told that the owner had okay-ed the cover already anyway so I should just accept it as it was. As you can guess, at this point I was fried, raw & pissed off! The artist acted like I was being a temperamental, overly sensitive author. And then to top it all off, it looked like the owner and the artist didn`t seem to communicate well. Either that or they were trying to give me the run around. I suspected the latter.

I suggested I`d get my own cover designer. I`ll pay for it. Then I was told I had to pay the artist for the work they`ve put in already. At this point I was way beyond caring and just said that so far I`ve been a trooper in spite of their lack of consideration. And that we wouldn`t be having this problem if work for the book was done in the time frame given. They backed off on that and I was reassured that we would work on the cover together.

Then I got this crazy random email from a man I`ve never dealt with in regards to Front Porch Romance, also emailing me about the cover, stating that they would accommodate me. Then minutes after this email, comes another one, but this time it`s a lot less friendly and basically threatening me that if I want to take my book and go then I should just go.
I`ve spent 48hrs without sleep.

This email came around 4 in the morning. At this point I was done. I closed off my email. I went to bed. I was officially done. I`ve been running on stress-filled adrenaline, I needed a break. When I got up, I was clear headed. But I needed guidance so I did something I should have done a long time ago. I started asking questions and I was advised to take my book & run!
And that was what I did. I replied to the man and my contract got removed with them.

As a new author, new to the writing world I`ve placed too much faith in people and their word. I didn`t want to be a ‘nagging author’ so I didn`t ask questions even when I felt in my gut that something wasn`t right. In the end I got my voice back.

Who wants their book to be released after just one line edit? What author wants to be on the out on what`s happening with their book and its cover?

Like I`ve mentioned before I`m not from the US which means I have to apply for an ITIN to get my royalties. Front Porch Romance didn`t mention anything about this or send forms so that I could apply for this.

This begs the question: would I even have gotten paid? Would there have been constant back and forth`s about payments or maybe not even receiving any payment for years?

These questions came back to haunt me. Yes I got my rights to my book back. I literally got snatched from the fire but I still have chills running down my spine when I think of what could have been.

*sigh*

This is my story. I can`t speak for anyone else. I just hope that this helps to make an informed decision.

Hi, thank you very much for sharing. I received an offer from this publisher and I debated for awhile. I rejected them before seeing this post. I had some misgivings namely I could not find any information about how they would market my work. I knew I would do a lot of work in getting myself out there, but I started to feel as if it would be all on me. I also received some information from another of their author ...and she was not impressed with their service. I could have been wrong but I decided to follow my gut even though my head was screaming " are you crazy...you are a newbie and dying to be published."
I am sorry for what you went through. I can only imagine how nail biting and stressing it must have been. I am glad you got back your rights. very glad. and very happy that you shared. :Hug2: