Note-taking methods

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
So back in the Dark Ages, my college history adviser taught me his surefire system for note taking - one fact item written longhand per 3x5 notecard, with notations as to source and page number. Organize the cards by subject and store them in a shoebox. When it came time to write, just pull out the cards and write one fact at a time in order; footnote information was at your fingertips.

I modifed his approach, because I type faster than I could write, and used half-sheets of paper. These days, I'm wondering what other systems work for fellow NF writers who amass a ton of facts, dates, and sources. How do you keep your raw notes organized and then access them when it's time to write?

Deleted member 42

Scrivener works well for this kind of thing. Many people use digital index cards.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
I second scrivener. Microsoft's onenote is pretty awesome as well. Comes with Microsoft office, and I use it all the time.

GrouchPotato

Old dog, a few new tricks
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I had using Scrivener for notes is that many of my ideas occur to me while I'm away from my laptop. I've used small pocket notebooks for decades -- then, when I'm actually at my computer (or ipod Touch), I record those notes that still seem brilliant into Evernote. (I use Evernote's premium service, $5 a month, as it allows offline access.)

One of Evernote's most valuable features is the ability to quickly copy images and bits of text from webpages. Also, if I'm using EN on my ipod, I can record an audio note rather than pecking out text.

I've tried more note-taking software than I can possibly recall over the years -- Evernote takes the prize.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
One of Evernote's most valuable features is the ability to quickly copy images and bits of text from webpages. Also, if I'm using EN on my ipod, I can record an audio note rather than pecking out text.

You can do the same thing with onenote, just by copying and pasting. Any images in your selection get copied along with the text. You can record audio with onenote too. Probably doesn't have an ipod app though. But it also doesn't cost 5 bucks a month. Idk. I tried evernote for awhile, mainly for copying whole webpages. It worked fine, but I wound up just using bookmarks, and then I realized I would never use evernote instead of onenote, but maybe it's just because onenote is what I'm used to.