John Lennon

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
...died 32 years ago today, shot in the back as he walked into his apartment building on NYC's Upper West Side. He'd been away from music for a while, staying home to help raise his second son, Sean. He and wife, Yoko Ono were returning home after doing some final mixing on John's first album in four or five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon

But use this thread to celebrate his music and his life, talk Beatles, talk post Beatles, rehash the Lennon v. McCartney debate. Please post links, Beatles. Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, or by any other relevant artist.

Off John's last album, "I'm Losing You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KKH1Ce4Rw

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Bebop, I'm going to be checking out your different links. I love, love, love the Beatles. To me, they are the best and greatest group of all time. (And I will fight over this.)

I still miss John. I was a freshman in high school when he was killed. Such a sad day, a terrible waste. He was a genius, pure and simple.

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote two years ago giving a few of my thoughts about him: http://www.storyrhyme.com/jcsblog/files/c2e430412a4f9fe4e6bcf00b14c80c5b-195.html

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Bebop, I'm going to be checking out your different links. I love, love, love the Beatles. To me, they are the best and greatest group of all time. (And I will fight over this.)

I still miss John. I was a freshman in high school when he was killed. Such a sad day, a terrible waste. He was a genius, pure and simple.

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote two years ago giving a few of my thoughts about him: http://www.storyrhyme.com/jcsblog/files/c2e430412a4f9fe4e6bcf00b14c80c5b-195.html

McLesh, I will read your blog post shortly. Thanks!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, McLesh. One of those songs we've all heard a thousand times. But when I haven't heard it for a while, like now, it feels like the first time.

Got any favorite Lennon or Beatle songs? Any era that you prefer over others? I'm kind of partial to the Beatles' middle years, maybe Rubber Soul and Revolver are my two favorite Beatle albums. And for Lennon's solo stuff, though his final album has some great ones on it, I probably prefer Imagine and Plastic Ono Band.

Isolation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZzXg0qYoAo

It's Only Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv46hTWP7uk

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Just read where it's Japanese phrase meaning, "the plot thickens".

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Definitely, McLesh. One of those songs we've all heard a thousand times. But when I haven't heard it for a while, like now, it feels like the first time.

Got any favorite Lennon or Beatle songs? Any era that you prefer over others? I'm kind of partial to the Beatles' middle years, maybe Rubber Soul and Revolver are my two favorite Beatle albums. And for Lennon's solo stuff, though his final album has some great ones on it, I probably prefer Imagine and Plastic Ono Band.

Isolation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZzXg0qYoAo

It's Only Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv46hTWP7uk

Ooh, I just saw this. Good question. Very tough question too. I have favorite Beatles albums. The best I can do is narrow them down to three: A Hard Day's Night, Sgt. Peppers, and Abbey Road.

When I want something to just make me happy, I'll listen to Meet the Beatles when their music was still so fresh and new. It was all about the possibilities. One of the things I love about the Beatles/Lennon McCarthy is their evolution; the way you can listen to a song and peg it to a time period. They were always evolving, changing and progressing.

A favorite John Lennon song of mine is Jealous Guy. It's so honest, poignant. Beautiful.

Sigh.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how their early British releases had slightly different tracks. Hard Days Night for eg, the entire second side is different (I think)- wasn't I'll Cry Instead on Meet The Beatles over here? And I know for Rubber Soul, Drive My Car was on the British release, but not It's Only Love.

I so agree with what you say about their evolving on every album. They were always growing. I've read where that was a conscious effort, not just with the three songwriters but with George Martin, too.

There are only a few artists that I love where you can listen to an entire album without wanting to skip a track, and the Beatles are one.

I finally got to see a Beatle live. Caught the McCartney show a few years ago. I had a contact that got us right down front, and I'll tell you, I was floored by the generosity of the performance. He still gives a damn, which I don't know why I should be surprised, but I was a little. Over three hours of back to back great Beatle music, Wings music, and his solo stuff. One of the best I've ever seen. I have a brother who's a guitarist in NY, and he's recently got to know Paul a little, as he comes into one of his gigs. Paul sat in with the band a few times, and that was a big rush for my brother who's always loved Beatle music as much as I have. On occasion, Paul has sat down and had a few drinks with the guys and my brother got to ask him all the musical questions he's always wanted to ask a Beatle. He was a little hesitant, but believe it or not, Paul was happy to talk about the Beatles' process.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Your brother sat down with Paul? Wow. That must be close to meeting God. (I'm only half joking.)

I saw him back in the 90s when he was on tour with Wings. Linda was still alive. Great concert. Loved the way he turned Hey Jude into an audience participation thing. The highlight was his mini Beatles concert within the show.

Way back--don't remember the year--I saw Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band play at the Greek. Levon Helm, Billy Preston, Dr. John, and a few other greats I can't remember right now. That was just a fun concert all around with each performer getting to do a couple of their big hits. I think the highlight for me was Levon Helm singing The Weight.

Love Rita too! (It may be my favorite actually.) Every song on Sgt. Pepper's is perfect, even Within You Without You and its sitars; I wouldn't change a thing.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, he sat in on a few jazz standards, and then had drinks with at the table. It was right before he put out his recent album of standards. Funny the title of that album, "Kisses on the Bottom", which is a line from "I'm gonna sit right down and right myself a lettet," a great tune, btw. But Paul, as it turned out, did not want to do that album, and saw it as his kissing their ass (hence the title). He had made a deal with the record co. that he had to live up to. He came to LA and did a small show of his standards and I hate to see this, but it was bad. You could see that he really didn't want to be there. A lot of rock guys don't make that transition, and vice versa.

I think Linda was an underrated singer, btw. Yoko, well, I hear she can paint.

Billy Preston was great on the Beatle stuff. Also, I've read where they just wanted Billy's positive vibe around to keep them from killing each other. For me, the number one thing that makes them stand out is their sense of melody. There is a reason why they're the most covered rock band of all time beyond their huge popularity. Their tunes are strong, and translate to other artists and styles so well.

Ringo's solo shining hour. I think written by George.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZfAik7wP8U

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
That one isn't my favorite Ringo tune. For me, it's Octopus's Garden. Love, love, love that one. (And octupi really do live in little caves and surround themselves with shiny objects.)

I'm not such a big fan of rock guys crossing over; I'm not surprised it wasn't good. Paul may be a musical genius, but that doesn't mean he needs to do it all. ;) (Rod Stewart singing the old standards -- ouch.)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I agree on Rod Stewart. Meanwhile, he's sells a ton of that stuff. Can't call it. Few rock guys can do it. Charlie Watts has a little jazz combo that's not bad at all. 'Course, Charlie doesn't dare sing and neither does Mick.

Sting has done it well. He conceptualizes the tunes in his way, seems to have total respect for them, and surrounds himself with great jazz players, such as the late, great Kenny Kirkland on piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkJoMNFPEA

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... enjoyed their animated cartoon movie. Saw it years back.
Great group. What amazes me is that they all had solo careers as well.
And they put out some great tunes. Wings was awesome.
John was very artistic and explorative. Rare combination.
There was that album cover with 50 million people on it.
And then there was that one that was just plain white.
Some contrast!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when Double Fantasy came out. No single had been released or announced yet, so the radio stations (or one I listened to in Atlanta at the time, I forget which one) played a couple of different tracks from it, including the mellow and heavenly "Beautiful Boy." As soon as "Starting Over" was released/announced, I never heard any of the other songs again (until or unless one of THEM was released as a single), confirming my cynicism of top 40 radio.