Do You Have a Game/Battle Plan for Getting Pub'd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
You should be writing more books instead of sending them out one at a time, IMO. Publishers like authors who can produce more than one book and you should be writing while having one out on submission.

If a publisher accepts it within a few weeks it might not be a GOOD publisher, if you get my drift. Better to wait longer for a reliable publisher than get caught up in fast, but not good...

:)

Good point. I'm on week 12 of limbo land, so I was having an angsty moment :).

Yes, write while you sub is free therapy - I have 2 on sub at the moment and am about to begin pulling the next one out of my brain. For my first novel I sort off aimed for the stars ... and never heard back. Occasionally, I begin to forget that I'm on sub at all :p

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write, edit, beg/coerce people into critting it, edit again, to the point where seeing the MS makes me want to vomit. Start subbing.

That was my game plan. Now that I have an agent, the plan is: Try not to tear out all my hair while waiting for replies from editors. Work on a completely different project.

I'm doing okay on the second half of the plan. The first one...hmm. *Rushes off to buy Rogaine*

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Write, edit, beg/coerce people into critting it, edit again, to the point where seeing the MS makes me want to vomit. Start subbing.

That was my game plan. Now that I have an agent, the plan is: Try not to tear out all my hair while waiting for replies from editors. Work on a completely different project.

I'm doing okay on the second half of the plan. The first one...hmm. *Rushes off to buy Rogaine*

• Write amazing book.
  • Edit it until I can recite it from memory.
  • Edit it again Just To Make Sure.
  • Submit it to agents and/or publishers.
  • While waiting for response(s), write another amazing book.
  • Edit that one until my eyes are bleeding.
  • Get first one published.
  • Take a nap because I deserve it!

... good to know others do a lot of editing. I do, too, and sometimes wonder whether I'm losing my marbles for investing so much effort. I think or am deluded that my stuff is improved by revision and is more salable as such. But again; there are times when I wonder if I'm on a merry go round that's going round and round in circles, which wouldn't be so bad if there were wooden horses and ponies to ride on.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
When I first started getting serious about this writing thing, I got really busy with it, very dedicated --

... you're only a minute away from that level of productivity.
Anytime you like you can get back to that output.
Not that I'm one to talk. (Maybe we can hop, together?)

------------------------------------------

Thnx for the tip, Putputt vv :)

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think or am deluded that my stuff is improved by revision and is more salable as such.

When in doubt, ask/blackmail/bribe your most trusted beta readers to reread the MS after you edit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.