Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Charlie Crist Now a Democrat

Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar

Charlie Crist Now a Democrat

Following in the footsteps of Arlen Specter, former Florida Governor Charlie Crist has joined the Democratic party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2260975.html

Do people think this is likely to become a trend for marginalized moderate Republicans?
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.

Now on Smashwords

practical experience, FTW neilfriske's Avatar
    The GOP is just going to have to adjust some of its domestic policies. That's all there is to it. As it is the GOP is a sinking ship.

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Yes, Richard. I was registered Republican forever (fiscally conservative, small government, socially liberal). But the past few years the Republican party has spiraled into this insane Christian Taliban trainwreck. When, at the national convention this summer, the Republican party adopted the official platform of no abortions for ANY reason, that was it. As Christie said in the article: "I didn't leave the Republican party, ... It left me."

The next time I went to town (30 miles away), I headed to the county elections office and changed my party. I'm sure nobody cares about my measly little protest, but it meant a lot to me.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

As much as he's been publically critical of Rick Scott over the past year and hinting that he wants to run for governor again, this comes as little surprise. Given the current state of the Republican Party, especially the way they bittely challenge the sane candidates in state and local primaries, he knows he can't win as a Republican and wouldn't have access to the funding as an independent.

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
    Following in the footsteps of Arlen Specter, former Florida Governor Charlie Crist has joined the Democratic party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2260975.html

Do people think this is likely to become a trend for marginalized moderate Republicans?
    Meh. Crist marginalized himself. This has nothing to do with issues or principles. Crist believed he had the Senate seat all locked up, that he was basically "owed" it. But Rubio beat him in the primaries, causing Crist's rather pathetic run as an independent.

Now he's switching parties because he just can't deal with the loss of power.

I think this type of stuff betrays just how stupid much of the voting public really is. Crist still has support from people down here, but for what? Again, it's not an issues thing at all. Crist is no crusader, no champion of this group or that group, just a typical say anything to get elected politician.

I think this story sums up Crist perfectly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1879084.html

The guy actually made a point of making the trip, just to get the same bear hug Obama got and get a picture taken of the "impromptu" moment. It's beyond pathetic. Yet, people still think this turkey can fly...
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Stars, Bars, and Symbols of the Past

Same-sex marriage and Southern heritage

That hairy-handed gent
    And, yes, there are times when I agree with robsie. Like on Crist. Medoubts this will revive his moribund political career even a single charmed quark. Florida Dems won't have any trouble finding candidates other than a retread has-been refugee from the bad guys.

caw

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Righto...Christie is a pathetic has-been. Somebody should tell him to just go back to the tanning salon.
    "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."
    James Madison, The Federalist No. 45

"Beware the greedy hand of government, thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry."
    Thomas Paine