(Not So) Newbie, Needs Hugs

ScotsGirl

Love Forever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm technically a newbie in that I just signed up, but I've visited the AW boards for years, read almost all the FAQs and tips, and found them so so helpful. Even though you all don't know me, I feel like I know you! Thank you for allowing me to lurk anonymously for free for all this time. My official sign-up and humble contribution today is long overdue.

Even though I'm relatively social, since I write for a living, I tend to avoid writing at all for fun. I'm terrible at Facebook, Twitter, and I can ignore email like nobody's business. (I love to read it all though!)

What led me to finally take the plunge here now is that today was horrible. The kind of rip-your-heart-out horrible that only other writers could understand. I've been a published writer for years, I've had success and failure, but sometimes the rejection just feels *so* personal.

In short: I need hugs. Hugs from people who understand how it feels. In return, I promise to stop hiding and hug back.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Huge hugs to you. Everyone who does this for a living totally knows where you're at right now. Hang in there, though, okay?

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

:Hug2:

:)

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ScotsGirl,

Welcome as an official member - from a new Newbie.

A hug from from 12,000 miles away and may the hugs keep coming to put a smile on your face.

Eric

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, such a request cannot be denied:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2::Hug2:

hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Scotsgirl!

Welcome to AW!

Read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Write_Askew

Registered
Reaction score
*huge bear hug*

Welcome! You've done the right thing. You already know, I'm sure, this board is full of some of the most caring, compassionate writers you'll ever meet.

Don't let the rejection get you down. You're a writer. You're published. From my point of view you've already done so much. You should be proud of yourself. Rejection is part of the business. It is heart breaking. It hurts. Fortunately, you're a talented word-goddess and you are in command of your own part of the writing universe. You're going to be okay.

In the mean time, get all the hugs you can and if you like, go tour the rejection and dejection thread. It always makes me feel a little better. I suppose its a misery loves company thing, but its nice to feel like you aren't the only one.

It gets better. It does. You wouldn't be published if you weren't already recognized as a wonderful talent. I have faith in you.

*hugs again*

Centaurus

Into the fray of the query process
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry ScotsGirl. Sending all of my warmest hugs your way

ScotsGirl

Love Forever
Registered
Reaction score
*huge bear hug*

Welcome! You've done the right thing. You already know, I'm sure, this board is full of some of the most caring, compassionate writers you'll ever meet.

Thank you all so very much! Your words of encouragement meant the world to me. I think I'm ready to go back and tackle this project again!