Google Apps for Domains - Not quite so free anymore.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
From ZDNet

Perhaps better explained on the enterprise blog

So, individual accounts are still available, small business gets folded into regular business accounts ($50 per user per year)

Please note this change has no impact on our existing customers, including those using the free version. And as before, Google Apps for Education will be available as a free service for schools and universities. Also, as the first cloud productivity suite with FISMA certification, we’ll continue to offer Google Apps for Government for $50 per user, per year.

Deleted member 42

Honestly, even if it cost me $50.00/year (I'm grandfathered in) I'd use Google Apps on servers I admin just for GMail alone.

Mail is one of the heavier burdens on a server with users. It's a PITA, not only in terms of support but in terms of the constant warfare against spam with malware, spam without, spam that's a phishing attempt . . . GMail has demonstrably reduced spam and User support issues on every domain I've associated with Google Apps.

UCLA is saving thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands a year (my guess knowing the costs of local email service and Outlook for Exchange costs), just on currently enrolled students' email after paying Google for universal UCLA access to Google Apps.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Gmail, docs (now in Drive-- docs, spreadsheets, forms, etc.) are Apps.
:)

And yeah, I know you already knew that. But some folks might not... Yet.

(Google spelled sideways is "Borg")

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Please note this change has no impact on our existing customers, including those using the free version. And as before, Google Apps for Education will be available as a free service for schools and universities. Also, as the first cloud productivity suite with FISMA certification, we’ll continue to offer Google Apps for Government for $50 per user, per year.

Key sentence there. I'm with Medievalist. That business expense is pretty much pennies compared to the world of self-host email. ::rocks in a corner, whispering Exchange and Blackberry, over and over again::

ereadergold

Registered
Reaction score
I was sad to see this, one of the first steps I always take when setting up a new domain is to register it for the Free Google Apps.

Of course all my existing ones are still good.

Google seems to be on a mission to remove all their good free stuff, they also stopped the custom backgrounds last month. Silly feature really but I liked it!

Bill

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Gmail, docs (now in Drive-- docs, spreadsheets, forms, etc.) are Apps.
:)

And yeah, I know you already knew that. But some folks might not... Yet.
Actually, I did not know that. I guess it's time to move all my WIPs out if docs and find some new location and to migrate away from gmail.

I already don't use G+ much.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
My understanding is the personal use web apps (mail, Drive, etc.) are still going to be there, SF. This is a change to the small business model.

I do have a couple of domains where I'm going to have to write the check. It's still more than worth it.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
To clarify, if you were a small business, you used to be able to get an account to use the gmail system with your own domain (rather than @gmail) as long as you had no more than ten users. They already lowered it to 10 from, I can't remember how many earlier.

I have a feeling that for many small businesses, they'll just end up with a gmail.com address.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Just to try and make it clear: this change only affects users of 'Google Apps for Business'. If you use GMail, GDocs etc for personal use (e.g., an @gmail.com or @googlemail.com address) you don't need to worry about this change.

It's a shame, because it was the free service that got me hooked to Google Apps. But I agree, $50 a year is tuppence for the quality of the Apps.