• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Books written in first person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
English Passengers. The Historian. Time Traveller's Wife. Fingersmith.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Election by Tom Perrotta.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you read historical fiction, some great ones I recently encountered, by A.L. Berridge: Honour and the Sword and In the Name of the King (both set in the 17c) and Into theValley of Death (19c).

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Was my copy of Gatsby missing some chapters, or do I just not remember it corrrectly?

The opening words from the Great Gatsby:

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

Though many people never really noticed Nick much. That's why I call him a "camera" narrator.

Gemma James

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what genres you read, but I really enjoyed On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. She alternates between two first person narrators.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Hi,
Could I get some recommendations for books written in the first person by more than one character (in the same book). I know there are tons of them but I'm currently drawing a blank.
thanks

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Though many people never really noticed Nick much. That's why I call him a "camera" narrator.
And I don't see this as an example of what Dante was looking for. Gatsby is written in the first person from Nick's perspective alone.

Centaurus

Into the fray of the query process
Registered
Reaction score

Yea, he's a camera narrator sure (a la in the Brothers Karamazov), but the story is told from his vantage point, no?

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Simple Plan
The Quiet American

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz - two first-person narrators plus a third viewpoint in close third.

Dark Eden by Chris Beckett (SF novel with about eight first-person POVs, two main ones with the others having a few or in some cases just one chapter each. Not entirely sure it works myself, though the novel has had some strong reviews.)

The Ant Colony by Jenny Valentine is a YA novel with two first-person narrators

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is YA SF. The first volume, The Knife of Never Letting Go has one narrator, The Ask and the Answer has two and Monsters of Men has three.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
How to Eat a Cupcake - Meg Donohue

I can think of a bunch of chick lit examples.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Help
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.