MG Science Fiction book recomendations please?

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I remember loving THE SUPERNATURALIST by Eoin Colfer! Been a while since I've read it, but I seem to recall it bring like Blade Runner for kids (Androids secretly living in a world where they're outlawed).

... Then again, I may be confusing it for a YA idea I had roundabout the same time. Either way, I recommend it!

Dave

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I think this question came up recently, maybe there's an older thread around here somewhere.

Earlier this year I read A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix, which was really good. Maybe closer to YA.

The True Meaning of Smekday is hilarious.
Larklight by Philip Reeve
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (amazing)
Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow by Nathan Bransford

There are a lot of chapter book series with aliens (Animorphs, Space Brat, My Teacher is an Alien, etc).

Enzero

Registered
Reaction score
When you reach me, by Rebecca Stead, if you count time travel as science fiction. Parts of it are set in 1979, though, obviously, not all.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Much of what I think of might be better classified as fantasy, but I think their is a basis of science in Escape From Witch Mountain. Madeleine L'engle's books may also be better classified as fantasy though one is mentioned above. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH comes to mind too.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
The hard part of your request is present day or very near future. Most sci-fi books take place in the future.

Even stuff like A Wrinkle in Time, which starts out in the present, quickly moves through time.

I recently finished The Transall Saga, it starts out in the present, but moves to the future.

if you are just looking for contemporary Sci-fi, then The Supernaturalist would be a great place to start!

ChristineJ

Registered
Reaction score
Feed, by M.T. Anderson, although it might be considered YA. I started it a couple of years ago and didn't get very far -- I'll have to dig it out again.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feed, by M.T. Anderson, although it might be considered YA. I started it a couple of years ago and didn't get very far -- I'll have to dig it out again.

Feed is YA, no question, but it is a good sci-fi recommendation and definitely worth reading.