• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Genius Book Publishing

ajtkat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the cooler. I think it's a great source of information. Thanks to all who participate.
I have a question about a publisher. I received a positive response to a query from Genius Book Publishing. They requested my full MS. Has anyone heard anything about this publisher? I can't seem to find anything .
Thanks!
Adam

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They look like a respectable small/POD press with no obvious red flags. But if all you want is a publisher accepting queries there are a bazillion of them, and many would have lower cover prices and wider distribution.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Yes, this is the link to that publisher: http://geniusbookpublishing.com/

I found them just by Googling fiction publishers accepting queries. Have you heard anything about them, good or bad?

No. They don't look like a bad lot - no glaring red flags. I probably wouldn't put them at the top of my list to query, just because neither of the two staff members appear to have a great deal of experience in trade publishing. Steven Booth has done book layout, but I don't know if he's done that professionally; Leya Booth though has apparently worked as a freelance editor and lists some pretty good authors she's worked with. It's a good small press website - miles ahead of some I've seen - but it's still a small press.

I like the fact that their query form says "Our job as publishers is to say “No” to authors. Please take this into consideration as you write your query. You job is to give us a reason to say “Yes.”" (Well, other than the typo. The attitude is about right.)

I'm not terribly enamoured of the cover designs, but again, they're not hideous.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some of their recent titles are selling okay on Amazon--not gangbusters, but better than a lot of comparable presses.

ajtkat

Registered
Reaction score
That's great information. Thank you all for responding and checking for me. I'm still pretty lost in this whole new world!

Vermithrax1

Registered
Reaction score
Genius Book Publishing (RED FLAG)

Hi, all.

After getting dozens of rejections from agents I decided to search for publishers that take direct submissions for action adventure novels. Genius Book Publishing was one of the names that came up. I know there's another thread on here regarding this publisher but it was from way back in 2012 and no one commenting in that one indicated any red flags. Well, here's a major red flag: I sent my query to them this afternoon and quickly got an e-mail reply back saying thanks and that they were reading it now and that they'd get back to me in a day or so. Then "Steven" wrote back a short time later asking if my novel was professionally edited or self edited. Self edited, of course. He then wrote back again an hour or so later and said he had a rather unique proposal to offer me and asked if I could call him, which I did. He proceeded to say that he really liked the idea of my novel but that it was quite obvious that it was self edited. So, he offered to contribute $200.00 toward having his professional editors edit it for me in exchange for him getting first refusal on the book. I would have to pony up about $300.00. Bear in mind that I only sent him a synopsis and the first 25 pages of my book so why he would be so enthusiastic without reading more of it at this point sent alarms bells off in my head. When he brought up the editing scheme that pretty much made me go to Red Alert. So, I told him no thank you, I'd been approached with this kind of offer before. If anyone else has any interactions with Steven Booth at Genius Book Publishing, whether negative or positive, let's hear them.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, he offered to contribute $200.00 toward having his professional editors edit it for me in exchange for him getting first refusal on the book. I would have to pony up about $300.00.
So, he liked it so much he wanted to make this 'unique' offer - you pay to have his editors edit it, then, he gets first refusal? Come on, if he really liked the book, he could accept it now, then have his editors work on it, which I believe is the normal route.
And, why isn't he reading the whole thing before making any kind of an offer? A synopsis and 25 pages is usually followed by 'send the full manuscript', not an offer-that-isn't-really-an-offer.

Also, from your description it all seems strangely rushed: you submit and hear back from them in hours, then Steven contacts you and is making this 'unique' offer within hours? Why wouldn't he take a little longer and ask for the whole manuscript? If nothing else, it sounds like they have a lot of time on their hands, especially if he's offering you the use of his editors. Why aren't they busy with other authors' other books?

Vermithrax1

Registered
Reaction score
What I found funny is that when I called him there was some noises going on in the background. He apologized, saying he was making lunch for his wife. Yeah, not much goin' on there. LOL

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Always a red flag when a publisher wants to steer you towards their editors and you have to pay. Sounds like they split with the editor. And the total of 500 is not that great for a professional editor as most are going to cost over 1,000. If this is a husband and wife team, and the wife was a previous freelance editor, this maybe a secondary money maker for them...?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As of Feb '18, focusing on True Crime.