What goes into a query letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddog23

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into submitting my work to various agencies and many of them are asking for a query letter. Is there an industry standard in writing one? How in-depth should I go with the story? Do they care about my writing background at this point?? What exactly should I include? How long should it be? I just don't want to blow it by submitting something that would be deemed "incorrect" by the agency.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
like Katrina said, visit QLH

1. Read the stickies

2. Read a bunch of ongoing query threads as well, so you can see what sort of maneuvers are getting panned and a discussion of why

3. Critique. You need 50 posts for #4 anyway, and yes, you can crit even if you haven't written a query letter. You may even offer the "wrong" advice, if so someone will suggest it is against conventional wisdon/agent comments/whatever else, and why....you have a safety net in that, and you know enough to crit what appeals or does not, typos, etc. presumably, or you'd have never finished a book of your own

4. When you hit 50 posts (better if you crit to a couple hundred, but if you can't wait....) sub your query for others to look at

5. strap in and hold on :tongue (It is worth pointing out first-time crite tend to sting; someone just bailed last week over it. critiquing before you sub your own work can help you avoid some of the stinging mistakes, and also help bring home the point you aren't being "singled out" when your glowing work of art is called into thorough question. So hopefull you'll have some idea of the process by the time you get crits of your own work. In either and any case, if you see something you don't like, take a day or two to kick it around before you decide how to deal with it.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Find queries online that have actually convinced agents to take on manuscripts, and then change them to suit your needs. The main thing that goes into any really good query is brilliant, lively writing that's just as good as the writing in your novel. Just one original, perfect sentence can convince any agent or editor to look at the manuscript.

Too many query letters are nothing more than this happens, then this happens, and then that happens.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Find queries online that have actually convinced agents to take on manuscripts, and then change them to suit your needs. The main thing that goes into any really good query is brilliant, lively writing that's just as good as the writing in your novel. Just one original, perfect sentence can convince any agent or editor to look at the manuscript.

Too many query letters are nothing more than this happens, then this happens, and then that happens.

I agree with the rest, but be careful about the bold part--a lot of samples I've seen are old enough they show things that were "new" then and that are now so overdone agents actually complain about them in blogs and how much they dislike them....like rhetorical questions

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I would also check out Query Shark. It is agent Janet Reid. You can learn tips on what works, what doesn't, what to ensure you do, and what to avoid.

Like everyone else has been said, QLH is a great source too.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
...Blood. Sweat. Tears. Mix for three weeks on "torture", take yourself down to the crossroads, call upon the devil, sell your soul, and . . .

Oh, you mean like literally?

You want a short (one-page or three-to-four-paragraph) pitch. This should include a very brief synopsis and a hook all wrapped up into one. Don't forget title, word count, and genre. Don't be cutesy, but show a hint of your writerly voice.

And do try out the many resources here: there's plenty of help with queries to be had.

Seriously, though, selling your soul might work, too.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Query Letter Hell is a great resource. I also second the recommendation for Query Shark.

In addition, you might want to check out Writer's Digest's Guide to Literary Agents Successful Queries posts.

And, don't mind while I toot my own horn--ahem--but I just recently wrote a blog post to help with this very subject. :D

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

In 100% agreement. See Jess Haines Writers Digest query letter link the post before mine. Excellent Resource.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
...Blood. Sweat. Tears. Mix for three weeks on "torture", take yourself down to the crossroads, call upon the devil, sell your soul, and . . .

Oh, you mean like literally?

I though that was literal. Hmm...I must be doing it wrong, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.