Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Seeking beta for experimental magical realism

Seeking beta for experimental magical realism

Dear board,

Book is narrated in pseudo-conversational style, features a bevy of complex plots and wild feats of magic; also a deranged shark god, and hordes of insane, mystically empowered Central American Freemasons. The story received high accolades from a number of agents, but nevertheless no bites. Please help.

My novel is 115,000 words long.

Thank you.

Regards,

Richard
    Last edited by richcapo; 12-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

If this is for the work quoted in your Sig, I'd stick a sample up in SYW - in fact, I'd do that anyway - so people can know what they are getting into.

No, different story.
    Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

practical experience, FTW gell214's Avatar
    I'm interested but as Theo81 says, better get an except up in SYW so we can have an idea before committing.
    Through your dreams, my sleeping children, you had a passenger and you never knew. -Neil Gaiman

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
    Le FaceBook.
    Le Twitter.

Wielder of the Witchblade Rowan's Avatar
    Here's my suggestion to all potential beta readers: start with a sample. Beta reading is a serious commitment, especially a 80K+ word manuscript. Whenever I'm considering a project, I always start with 1-3 chapters or 30-50 pages before committing to the entire MS. It's pretty simple and so far, nobody has objected.

Not everyone wants to post their project in the Share Your Work forum (for a myriad of reasons) and I respect that. So, if you're interested in richcapo's project but are uncertain as to whether or not you want to commit to critiquing 115K words, consider asking him to share a partial with you so you can test the waters. This will also give richcapo an idea as to your ability to offer a constructive critique. After all, beta reading is a two-way street.
    "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey." - Lord Byron

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

Thanks, Rowan. I'd be happy to issue partials to any interested party.
    Richard

Poetry and Jest

Thanks Rowan, this helps me too.

So, richcapo, interested in what he said?
    Oh, I am looking for a swap, BTW. So we can swap samples if you like.
    Through your dreams, my sleeping children, you had a passenger and you never knew. -Neil Gaiman

Le g+.
    Le FaceBook.
    Le Twitter.

I'll swap, sure. Partial or full works for me. Thanks.
    Last edited by richcapo; 12-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    Richard

Poetry and Jest

Wielder of the Witchblade Rowan's Avatar
    I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gell214 View Post
    Thanks Rowan, this helps me too.

So, richcapo, interested in what she said?
    Oh, I am looking for a swap, BTW. So we can swap samples if you like.
    "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey." - Lord Byron

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I fixed it for you.
    Of course you're a she -- you do wield the Witchblade after all.
    Richard

Poetry and Jest

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I fixed it for you.
    Oh gosh! I'm sorry!

Le g+.
    Le FaceBook.
    Le Twitter.