How to respond to non-response

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here, please. Some time back I submitted a partial + query to a publisher, and within a week they had asked for the full manuscript. So far so good.

But I haven't heard anything back yet. Now, I know that they're busy, and I've been patient, but it's been very nearly a year now. I sent a couple of polite follow up emails (once at the six month mark, another more recently) saying "could you please check on status of sub" and so forth, but they have been roundly ignored. Total radio silence.

The sub has come from my grad school work, and supervisor says I should ring and ask the editor directly now - but I don't want to be a nuisance.

Is it reasonable to ring at this point, do you think, or should I flag this (reputable, long-standing and good-fit) publisher and try someone else?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you've sent them a couple of nudges I'd guess that that's it. You're not going to hear from them again.

Sorry, but I think this is a no. Move on. Submit elsewhere.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't ring, you're unlikely to get an answer other than 'we'll look into it', and then you'll be back into the same routine of waiting around with no further response.

As Old Hack said above, you've sent a few nudges and that should be all you send. If you haven't heard anything by now than the chances are you won't. But then again, in another year, you may. But don't hang around on the off-chance that happens. Send out your subs to somewhere else and hope you have better luck with them.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I know it's a hard nut to swallow, but I think this one's a pass. Move on by querying others.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could send a physical letter with a self addressed stamped postcard and ask them to tick the box of "rejected" vs "under active consideration" vs "haven't had a chance to look at it yet". No guarantee you'll get it back with a box ticked, but it might be worth the dollar or whatever in postage to give it a try.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it reasonable to ring at this point, do you think, or should I flag this (reputable, long-standing and good-fit) publisher and try someone else?
Uhhh... You sent it to ONE publisher and did nothing with it for a year? You are going to starve even more than the rest of us.

Always keep submitting to multiple agents/publishers until you either have a contract or have exhausted every agent/publisher on the planet. If the latter, write a better book and submit again.

Jeff