Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Dunked in a barrel of bleach water

  1. #1
    Simplify. frankiebrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    962

    Dunked in a barrel of bleach water

    So I understand that being dunked in a barrel of bleach water would be highly dangerous and uncomfortable (red skin, burning, rashes). But what would it do your hair? Would that have basically the same effect as bleaching your hair blonde? Or would it make your hair fall out? Make it dry and brittle?

    Thanks for any feedback
    "To a worm in horseradish, the world is horseradish."
    Blog last updated 12/7: On Pacing

    on twitter: @frankiebrown25
    Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

  2. #2
    practical experience, FTW neilfriske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    105
    if it was pure bleach it would hurt like a bitch and your hair would go blonde. I don't think it would fall out.

  3. #3
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,253
    It depends - you knew I was going to say that didn't you?
    Depends on how strong the bleach is, how long the subject is in the bleach and whether they get to rinse it off soon after. Is this industrial or domestic bleach?
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

  4. #4
    Simplify. frankiebrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfriske View Post
    if it was pure bleach it would hurt like a bitch and your hair would go blonde. I don't think it would fall out.
    No, not pure bleach.

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    It depends - you knew I was going to say that didn't you?
    It always depends, lol

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Depends on how strong the bleach is, how long the subject is in the bleach and whether they get to rinse it off soon after. Is this industrial or domestic bleach?
    Let's say domestic bleach, reasonably strong (strong enough to cause an incredibly strong chemically smell and strong enough to give you a rash) but not strong enough to kill you. Think heavy-duty disinfectant. The character's in the water for about a minute total, completely submerged for approx. twenty seconds.
    "To a worm in horseradish, the world is horseradish."
    Blog last updated 12/7: On Pacing

    on twitter: @frankiebrown25
    Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

  5. #5
    Feeling lucky, Query? jclarkdawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    9,447
    Clorox recommends a ration of 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, or a ration of 1 part bleach to 256 parts water for disinfecting. When cleaning stock tanks, I dump a gallon of bleach into 125 gallons of water, or a ration of 1:125. Usually clean the sides of the tank and bottom by sticking a sponge into the water with my hand and swirling it against the sides and bottom. I end up smelling of bleach, prefer not to splash myself, notice sort of a greasy feel to the water, but other then that, no harm, no foul.

    If you're talking a standard barrel, you're talking 55 gallons. (Sixty if you stuff it to the brim.) If you dump a gallon in, this is about double what I work with or four and a half times Clorox's recommendation. Might turn your hair white but probably not, will feel a bit funky, will stink a lot, but probably not that harmful.

    Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Clorox bleach. It's a PDF file that will download onto your computer. Even a 100% mix seems to only cause minor irritation.

    Best of luck,

    Jim Clark-Dawe
    EQUINE LIABILITY: WHAT EVERY HORSEOWNER NEEDS TO KNOW Published 2002 sold through

    GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

    THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

    THE PICTURE Might be my next project.

  6. #6
    Simplify. frankiebrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by jclarkdawe View Post
    Clorox recommends a ration of 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, or a ration of 1 part bleach to 256 parts water for disinfecting. When cleaning stock tanks, I dump a gallon of bleach into 125 gallons of water, or a ration of 1:125. Usually clean the sides of the tank and bottom by sticking a sponge into the water with my hand and swirling it against the sides and bottom. I end up smelling of bleach, prefer not to splash myself, notice sort of a greasy feel to the water, but other then that, no harm, no foul.

    If you're talking a standard barrel, you're talking 55 gallons. (Sixty if you stuff it to the brim.) If you dump a gallon in, this is about double what I work with or four and a half times Clorox's recommendation. Might turn your hair white but probably not, will feel a bit funky, will stink a lot, but probably not that harmful.

    Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Clorox bleach. It's a PDF file that will download onto your computer. Even a 100% mix seems to only cause minor irritation.

    Best of luck,

    Jim Clark-Dawe
    Superbly helpful, as always, jclark. Thanks so much.
    "To a worm in horseradish, the world is horseradish."
    Blog last updated 12/7: On Pacing

    on twitter: @frankiebrown25
    Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

  7. #7
    God of the Oceans
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Oceans
    Posts
    2,991
    In times past I worked in a yarn dye house, and there were a variety of nasty substances around, but there was no chlorine bleaso I can't speak to that, but ammonia and lye were used for bleaching, and either will kill. Touching some was no problem, but one day someone spilled some amonia and passed out for the fumes. No one ever put a hand into a vat of boiling lye solution that bleached the excess dye from equipment. If you are setting it in an industrial setting, the you might want to change the chemical.

  8. #8
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    275
    When my father had a serious infection, they soaked his leg in the whirlpool in Dakin's solution - which is basically diluted bleach. (and yes, it works.)

  9. #9
    Impractical Fantasy Animal sunandshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    4,708
    If the character's eyes and nostrils get in the bleach that seems like it would be a much bigger problem than the hair.

    I've bleached my hair and it took 10 minutes to go pale yellow with a mix of bleach strong enough to cause eye damage if one were clutzy enough to get it in their eye and not rinse it immediately.

  10. #10
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,253
    I'd be worried about eyes, nostrils and other mucous membranes.
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

  11. #11
    Allegedly Gullible StormChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Staring at the sky
    Posts
    704
    The hair would go blonde and maybe become more brittle, but it won't all fall out. Their eyes would be more worrying. They'd probably go blind if any of the solution got in their eyes - the eyes would at least be damaged, and they'd have difficulty seeing clearly for a while.
    Am I too stupid to care, or just too bored to think?


    I would be a merry wanderer of the night, but my city has curfew laws.


    I'm not really crazy, I just like exploring all possibilities in things. If that happens to include angry flying bicycle catfish, that's not my problem.

  12. #12
    Benefactor Member WeaselFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Floral City, FL
    Posts
    2,307
    Duration?

    I use straight bleach from the bottle for cleaning infections and drying up poison ivy. No lasting effect on skin, no burning, rash, etc. I have worked with barrels of disinfecting bleach solutions, arms fully submerged, with no change to skin of feeling.

    Stings in the eyes, smells and is hell on my jeans, but no real medical effects.

    Jeff

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search