Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Most people suffer from too many words in their fantasy novels, but I am having the opposite issue at the moment. Currently my WIP is hovering around 50k words, with probably another 30-35k to go. That will leave it at about 85k. I am terrified that for a fantasy that will be too short.

There is other material that I can draw from, as I plan for it to be a series. I don't want to exhaust the majority of the twists in this one series. Not to mention, the next chunk of material doesn't connect well to the tone of this chunk.

Is 85k really okay for an adult fantasy? Or should in my first revision should I focus on adding an additional subplot?

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Adult fantasy may trend longer, but 85k is still a novel. Most publishers say their range is 80-120k; the highest I know of is Pyr, which says it doesn't accept fantasy under 95k. In general you're going to be fine: don't damage the story to aim for a target that won't matter much to most people.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Keep writing, another complication for your MCs will occur to you.

Beth Raymond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethraymond.com
I anticipate that mine, when all is said and done, will be on the shorter side as well (around 85K). I'm not worrying about it too much, now, because I tend to write more as I edit. Also, as Waylander said, I can always add another conflict if I want, and weave it back through, as necessary.

But if it ends up at 85K, it is what it is.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Get it beta read. It might be fine, or there might be some holes in the world building that another set of eyes can catch for you. I had the latter problem with my novel -- it was too short because I hadn't fleshed out the universe enough.

Beth Raymond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethraymond.com
I had the latter problem with my novel -- it was too short because I hadn't fleshed out the universe enough.

This is a good point. Most of my adds-while-editing is done to better describe the story's world, and I've found that a little world building scattered throughout can ramp up the word count pretty fast.

annaka

Stuck in the great swampy middle
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind is the cutting that usually comes as part of editing. I tend to be verbose, so losing 10% in editing is a good target for me. Hopefully you are tighter :)
Hopefully the world-building supplement will counteract that, though . . . .

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
I find that I usually grow the story quite a bit in the rewrite. My first draft on my current wip was just around 75,000 words. I'm anticipating breaking 100k on the second pass.

So, if all else fails you can always do a word by word/ scene by scene rewrite.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
The other thing to keep in mind is the cutting that usually comes as part of editing. I tend to be verbose, so losing 10% in editing is a good target for me. Hopefully you are tighter :)
Hopefully the world-building supplement will counteract that, though . . . .

My writing does tend to be scant on the first attempt. When I do pad areas for clarity I tend to get too wordy. Truthfully, editing is the bane of my existence and I burn out before I get through enough passes.

It is good to know the word count isn't a deal breaker.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm right in the same boat (check out my sig), and I'm trying to find areas where I can expand without bogging down. My plot is tight, and it has enough going on that more would be absolute overkill, so I'm focusing on the world building. Sneaking in a paragraph here and there is helping me along. I think some of us just tend to be rather compact in our wordage. :tongue

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
My advice would be to just keep writing the book. Get it finished before you start worrying how long or short it is. Sure, it's good to have a general word-count goal, but I wouldn't get too worked up about needing to add or take out stuff until you're done with the first draft. If you're only at 50K and already worrying about length, I think you're jumping the gun. These nagging little worries can sabotage a project before it ever gets finished. I know from experience!

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
I pay no attention to word count until maybe the end when I'm curious. My advice is to not worry about it. Just write however much it takes to get your story the way you want it, whether that's 75k, 85k, 100k+.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
A handy NaNoWriMo trick: If your main characters are Sargath and Jilla, rename them to something like this:

Sargath Sei Gargleroth and Jilla Jo Jeen.

Instant word count boost!

Or just make sure those 85K words shine and give the market a chance to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.