Happy July 4th!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Word Count Woes

Azarath Metrion Zinthos AshleyEpidemic's Avatar

Word Count Woes

Most people suffer from too many words in their fantasy novels, but I am having the opposite issue at the moment. Currently my WIP is hovering around 50k words, with probably another 30-35k to go. That will leave it at about 85k. I am terrified that for a fantasy that will be too short.

There is other material that I can draw from, as I plan for it to be a series. I don't want to exhaust the majority of the twists in this one series. Not to mention, the next chunk of material doesn't connect well to the tone of this chunk.

Is 85k really okay for an adult fantasy? Or should in my first revision should I focus on adding an additional subplot?
    So, I have this blog. It's here
    and a book blog
    I tweet too.

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    You're fine. Many push upwards of 100,000, but it's not required.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Adult fantasy may trend longer, but 85k is still a novel. Most publishers say their range is 80-120k; the highest I know of is Pyr, which says it doesn't accept fantasy under 95k. In general you're going to be fine: don't damage the story to aim for a target that won't matter much to most people.

Cubicle Quest - the game about escaping work to follow your dreams

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    85k isn't drastically short. The book in my sig was hovering around 90k when I subbed

Might depend on sub genre though - epic fantasy tends to run longer for instance, but you're not outside the realms of possibility.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Keep writing, another complication for your MCs will occur to you.
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Beth Raymond's Avatar
    I anticipate that mine, when all is said and done, will be on the shorter side as well (around 85K). I'm not worrying about it too much, now, because I tend to write more as I edit. Also, as Waylander said, I can always add another conflict if I want, and weave it back through, as necessary.

But if it ends up at 85K, it is what it is.
    Read my completed fantasy serial, Secrets of the Conclave, online at JukePop.com.
    bethraymond.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter! @Beth_Raymond
    Facebook Author Page

Get it beta read. It might be fine, or there might be some holes in the world building that another set of eyes can catch for you. I had the latter problem with my novel -- it was too short because I hadn't fleshed out the universe enough.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Beth Raymond's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    I had the latter problem with my novel -- it was too short because I hadn't fleshed out the universe enough.
    This is a good point. Most of my adds-while-editing is done to better describe the story's world, and I've found that a little world building scattered throughout can ramp up the word count pretty fast.
    Read my completed fantasy serial, Secrets of the Conclave, online at JukePop.com.
    bethraymond.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter! @Beth_Raymond
    Facebook Author Page

Stuck in the great swampy middle
    The other thing to keep in mind is the cutting that usually comes as part of editing. I tend to be verbose, so losing 10% in editing is a good target for me. Hopefully you are tighter
    Hopefully the world-building supplement will counteract that, though . . . .

Trained by the soft master
    I find that I usually grow the story quite a bit in the rewrite. My first draft on my current wip was just around 75,000 words. I'm anticipating breaking 100k on the second pass.

So, if all else fails you can always do a word by word/ scene by scene rewrite.
    Cavalry by the grace of God

Azarath Metrion Zinthos AshleyEpidemic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by annaka View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is the cutting that usually comes as part of editing. I tend to be verbose, so losing 10% in editing is a good target for me. Hopefully you are tighter
    Hopefully the world-building supplement will counteract that, though . . . .
    My writing does tend to be scant on the first attempt. When I do pad areas for clarity I tend to get too wordy. Truthfully, editing is the bane of my existence and I burn out before I get through enough passes.

It is good to know the word count isn't a deal breaker.
    So, I have this blog. It's here
    and a book blog
    I tweet too.

Make teh semester stahp Little Anonymous Me's Avatar
    I'm right in the same boat (check out my sig), and I'm trying to find areas where I can expand without bogging down. My plot is tight, and it has enough going on that more would be absolute overkill, so I'm focusing on the world building. Sneaking in a paragraph here and there is helping me along. I think some of us just tend to be rather compact in our wordage.
    #1: 63K
    #2: 110K
    #3: 105K

#4:

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer BRDurkin's Avatar
    My advice would be to just keep writing the book. Get it finished before you start worrying how long or short it is. Sure, it's good to have a general word-count goal, but I wouldn't get too worked up about needing to add or take out stuff until you're done with the first draft. If you're only at 50K and already worrying about length, I think you're jumping the gun. These nagging little worries can sabotage a project before it ever gets finished. I know from experience!
    Latest Blog Post - Finally! (01-27-14)

Twitter

WIPs:
    Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle

practical experience, FTW TroyJackson's Avatar
    I pay no attention to word count until maybe the end when I'm curious. My advice is to not worry about it. Just write however much it takes to get your story the way you want it, whether that's 75k, 85k, 100k+.
    Come visit me at:

http://www.tempestworks.com

Also on:

Facebook

Twitter

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    A handy NaNoWriMo trick: If your main characters are Sargath and Jilla, rename them to something like this:

Sargath Sei Gargleroth and Jilla Jo Jeen.

Instant word count boost!

Or just make sure those 85K words shine and give the market a chance to decide.
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth