A New Level of Human Disgust

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot believe people. I cannot believe people still shock and disgust me.

Every year, the Federal Government does the Combined Federal Campaign where you can choose to donate to one or more of a million charities. I think they run TV commercials, so you may know of it.

Every year, I am my facility's POC. I'm supposed to do something fun to drum up enthusiasm amongst my peers and raise money. Well, people don't get excited. They hate to be bothered, and I hate to nag them to donate money. And it's not like we don't have a million other things going on right now - Toys for Tots, we're doing a Holiday decorating competition to raise money for Sandy victims, plus school fundraisers and church things...

So I don't put too much into the CFC. Generally, I send out emails reminding people of it. This year, however, upon my boss' insistence that I do something more, DH and I spent a good $50 to fill up a Costco Relish jar with Hershey minis. I counted them, made fliers, and put a BIG note on the jar saying "Make a guess for CFC!"

I leave earlier than others in the office, so every night the secretary locked up the candy when she left. She must have forgotten Friday because I came in this morning, and a third of the jar was gone. It's either the cleaning crew or my co-workers. My bet is on my co-workers. There's a reason we stopped the coffee fund.

These air traffic controllers make over $150k/year and they stole candy clearly marked for charity.

I am so pissed, I can't think straight.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Deep breath. Hold, count back: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... exhale.

Yeah, it still amazes me how unhelpful and inhumane people can be.

I really don't know what to say here. What can you say?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.

I'd go for public shame.

Put out a memo and put it up in plain sight that this was NOT candy for eating, but for a charity contest. And you're going to leave the empty jar there so people can donate plain old cash, whether or not they took candy or not.

There's always one Christmas idiot in every office who doesn't think...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It might have been one idiot who reached in and scooped out a bunch of candy and pocketed it.

As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")

It really irks me when someone takes the time and their own money to run something to help others, and some idiot comes along and in some way spoils it.

Thankfully there are many more good people than bad in this world.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")

Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

I love it! That is an awesome idea!

Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.

That is true. But it's just so aggravating!

Months ago, my Director told me that things were being moved around in her office overnight. Blinds that were down were up. Things she had in one place were missing, until she found them somewhere else. It was really, really odd.

There are no cameras up here, and only a handful have keys to her office. Whoever was doing this was taking the operational floor manager's key on the midnight shifts and breaking into her office just to f with her, I guess.

She lied to the union rep and said, "We have the video. We haven't watched it yet. I won't watch it if you talk to the employees and this doesn't happen again."

It never happened again.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
You could also add a string attached to a surveillance camera "So we can photograph your happy smiles when you donate!"

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This. My mom used to work in an office that had a coffee fund. Every month, it made a bit of extra money, so they used it to provide treats for the office.

Later, their department was downsized and combined with another recently-downsized department.

Suddenly the coffee fund was losing a bit of money every month instead of making extra. When someone from the original staff commented on it, one of the newly-added employees grimaced and said, "Yeah. Our coffee fund lost money too. Guess our thief survived the job cuts."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
At my very first white-collar job, I came on during the holiday season. I saw that the big boss had left a neat Russian Tea mix at every break station, so I brought in some fancy hot chocolate mix for everyone and left it there, too.

So stolen! The very first day. This was not a big department. My naivete was crushed, I tell you ;) !

It really is awful. Much later on at a different IT department and different company, I had a problem with someone stealing my pain meds any time I had to leave the room. People can suck, definitely.