Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A New Level of Human Disgust

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar

A New Level of Human Disgust

I cannot believe people. I cannot believe people still shock and disgust me.

Every year, the Federal Government does the Combined Federal Campaign where you can choose to donate to one or more of a million charities. I think they run TV commercials, so you may know of it.

Every year, I am my facility's POC. I'm supposed to do something fun to drum up enthusiasm amongst my peers and raise money. Well, people don't get excited. They hate to be bothered, and I hate to nag them to donate money. And it's not like we don't have a million other things going on right now - Toys for Tots, we're doing a Holiday decorating competition to raise money for Sandy victims, plus school fundraisers and church things...

So I don't put too much into the CFC. Generally, I send out emails reminding people of it. This year, however, upon my boss' insistence that I do something more, DH and I spent a good $50 to fill up a Costco Relish jar with Hershey minis. I counted them, made fliers, and put a BIG note on the jar saying "Make a guess for CFC!"

I leave earlier than others in the office, so every night the secretary locked up the candy when she left. She must have forgotten Friday because I came in this morning, and a third of the jar was gone. It's either the cleaning crew or my co-workers. My bet is on my co-workers. There's a reason we stopped the coffee fund.

These air traffic controllers make over $150k/year and they stole candy clearly marked for charity.

I am so pissed, I can't think straight.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me. WillSauger's Avatar
    Deep breath. Hold, count back: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... exhale.

Yeah, it still amazes me how unhelpful and inhumane people can be.

I really don't know what to say here. What can you say?
    Don't Fear Failure.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Echo View Post
    Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.
    I'd go for public shame.

Put out a memo and put it up in plain sight that this was NOT candy for eating, but for a charity contest. And you're going to leave the empty jar there so people can donate plain old cash, whether or not they took candy or not.

There's always one Christmas idiot in every office who doesn't think...

This space for rent
    Stay calm...

Buy more candy...

And laxatives

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    It might have been one idiot who reached in and scooped out a bunch of candy and pocketed it.

As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")

It really irks me when someone takes the time and their own money to run something to help others, and some idiot comes along and in some way spoils it.

Thankfully there are many more good people than bad in this world.

The colors! THE COLORS! leahzero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stormie View Post
    As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")
    Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.
    UNTEACHABLE
    BLACK IRIS
    CAMGIRL - 2015
    Untitled Book #4 - 2016-ish

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.

Quote Originally Posted by stormie View Post
    I love it! That is an awesome idea!

Quote Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
    Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.
    That is true. But it's just so aggravating!

Months ago, my Director told me that things were being moved around in her office overnight. Blinds that were down were up. Things she had in one place were missing, until she found them somewhere else. It was really, really odd.

There are no cameras up here, and only a handful have keys to her office. Whoever was doing this was taking the operational floor manager's key on the midnight shifts and breaking into her office just to f with her, I guess.

She lied to the union rep and said, "We have the video. We haven't watched it yet. I won't watch it if you talk to the employees and this doesn't happen again."

It never happened again.
    T.H Lawrence

You could also add a string attached to a surveillance camera "So we can photograph your happy smiles when you donate!"
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird
    You be a baaaaaad man.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
    This. My mom used to work in an office that had a coffee fund. Every month, it made a bit of extra money, so they used it to provide treats for the office.

Later, their department was downsized and combined with another recently-downsized department.

Suddenly the coffee fund was losing a bit of money every month instead of making extra. When someone from the original staff commented on it, one of the newly-added employees grimaced and said, "Yeah. Our coffee fund lost money too. Guess our thief survived the job cuts."
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

At my very first white-collar job, I came on during the holiday season. I saw that the big boss had left a neat Russian Tea mix at every break station, so I brought in some fancy hot chocolate mix for everyone and left it there, too.

So stolen! The very first day. This was not a big department. My naivete was crushed, I tell you !

It really is awful. Much later on at a different IT department and different company, I had a problem with someone stealing my pain meds any time I had to leave the room. People can suck, definitely.
    It's Woman, by Kraft. All your favourite classic flavours like virgin, whore, damsel, black widow and now all-new feminazi! Extra spicy!
    --
    BunnyMaz

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
    -- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
    Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
    And he raved of saving me

Please donate or volunteer: http://www.karmakrew.org/Home_Page.html

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    That's just messed up...

I don't know what to say. The public shaming seems like a good idea.
    Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 30 June 2015)
    I also have a website where I can be hired as an editor! How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud' (waiting to be edited)
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey (is it finished yet?)
    The Little House of Flames (writing)