• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Booker Albert Agency

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Two agents broke off of corvisiero literary agency to make their own. They seem to be very young, one of them hasn't even finished her B.A. yet.

Here is the site:
http://www.thebookeralbertagency.com/

They opened to submissions yesterday so I figured it's about time for their own thread.

Otherwise I don't know a whole lot about them. Haven't looked into sales at all so I can't say if they are qualified or not.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Sounds like they have legit credentials. Though if they're brand new I'm guessing no sales yet. Also, found typos on their site: "We advice each author to read each agent's profile carefully before submitting to the agent indivually."

Hopefully they'll notice and correct this, but that kind of stuff gives me pause.

Just noticed another:

Do Not:
-Send the entire manuscript without an agent requesting it.
-Send an 'Dear Agent' email.
-Send to multiple agents in the same email.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is clearly a well-intentioned agency. However, I'm concerned by the agents' newness, and their lack of experience--basically, their only agenting experience is their brief time working for Maria Corvisiero.

I wish them all success--but I think from an author's perspective, a wait-and-see approach is wise, at least until they start showing they can build a track record of reputable sales.

- Victoria

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I agree. I think both of them are fabulous... just not fabulously experienced :)

There is nothing wrong with a brand new agent, but it's a little scary when that young agent is all on their own. I don't know a lot about agenting, but even in my retail job, there is A LOT you cannot learn in a year or less. I'm sure agenting is like this times 10. It takes time to learn it all, so can you feel confident commiting to an agent who has to figure it all out on their own? Maybe with your MS? It's a little scary.

I really, really, wish them all the best. But it's not a gamble I'd be willing to make just yet.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from Jordy. Was about 10 days for a response. Has anyone else queried them?

kimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Undercover! I just sent out a query to Jordy today. She is the first agent I have queried.
Was just looking at comments on querytracker and they are very positive about these agents, so guess I will just wait and see!

Last edited:

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I agree. I think both of them are fabulous... just not fabulously experienced :)

There is nothing wrong with a brand new agent, but it's a little scary when that young agent is all on their own. I don't know a lot about agenting, but even in my retail job, there is A LOT you cannot learn in a year or less. I'm sure agenting is like this times 10. .

I AM an agent I concur with this. I have not met them and don't know much of them beyond their website, but I've been an agent for three years, have sold seventeen books now, I had been published by 3 different publishers for 2 years prior to becoming an agent, and also interned, and even right now I would NOT consider opening my own agency because of how important every piece of publishing is-- there's too much you can "ruin" if you don't know what you're doing... and I'm skeptical that working so briefly for an agent who herself has only sold a handful of books, even less to the big 6, is enough experience.

Example-- every deal they do will be a brand new boilerplate with each publisher, since their agency wouldn't have that in place. How do they know what to fight for considering they haven't even seen the contracts at so many houses?

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I was looking in their recent sales on their website, and I'm not seeing much. A couple sales to RH's Flirt, which accepts non-agented submissions, and a couple publishers I've never heard of. I'm by no means an expert, of course. I know little of publishing. While the agents sound pleasant and hardworking, I do wonder if they have connections to make the agency work.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
I sent off a query last week to Ms. Booker. Wondering if anyone has any new news on this agency. Thanks!

JustAWriter1

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything else from this agency? I see they have been making sales to publishing houses, but most just look like ebook publishers.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I've subbed to them a couple of times and have yet to receive a reply to any of them. One dates back many months and had a polite nudge. I have no probs with this - a silent no is a just as loud as any other - but for an agency actively seeking subs eg through Twitter comps etc. and who don't state a non-response policy I found it a little disappointing.

yagerdelagrange

Registered
Reaction score
The Booker Albert Literary Agency

I noticed this morning on Publishers Marketplace that they made a "nice" book deal and I queried them. I received a response back within an hour requesting a partial. I just sent it to them and then looked them up here. I think PM said they made 5 deals in 2013 but I still have to look into that.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I noticed this morning on Publishers Marketplace that they made a "nice" book deal and I queried them. I received a response back within an hour requesting a partial. I just sent it to them and then looked them up here. I think PM said they made 5 deals in 2013 but I still have to look into that.

Good for you, "P"! That's a quick response.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Brittany has made a few sales (one to Berkley (penguin) so that's a good one) but I don't remember seeing any from Jordy.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
They have a lot of learning to do. Let them do it on someone else's book.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jordy is now my agent. So far, so good. Excellent communication and keeps on top of things. Not much else to say this far, we just signed about a month ago. I WILL say that when it comes to revising a manuscript before submitting, she seems to know her stuff (with a MA in English, I would hope so). She gave me a list of excellent notes that I am implementing now. She also has given me a brief plan of action, which was good.

Once we get to the submission stage, I'll let you know how it goes. She's very nice.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Jordy is now my agent. So far, so good. Excellent communication and keeps on top of things. Not much else to say this far, we just signed about a month ago. I WILL say that when it comes to revising a manuscript before submitting, she seems to know her stuff (with a MA in English, I would hope so). She gave me a list of excellent notes that I am implementing now. She also has given me a brief plan of action, which was good.

Once we get to the submission stage, I'll let you know how it goes. She's very nice.

Congratulations Christine! That's awesome!!! Best of luck :D

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Thanks! On Friday she sent me a copy of the pitch she was sending out, AND a spreadsheet with the names of the publishers she was sending it to, with the editor's names and contact information.

So far, she's doing her job and it's a giant step over my last agent.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So now I can tell! Finally!
Jordy Albert got me a 'nice' deal from Strange Chemistry Books! We made the deal in November, but we had to coordinate the announcement and with the holidays, it all came down to TODAY.

So yes, this agency makes deals. SCB is the YA imprint of Angry Robot, based in the UK but distributed in the US by Random House.

They are an agent-only (except during Open Door times), advance-paying, SFWA market-qualifying publisher.

Jordy did a great job with the deal and I am an EXTREMELY HAPPY CLIENT!!!