Conflicted on which genre to focus on in submitting this story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Red_Wing

Registered
Reaction score
I originally thought this story would be considered literary fiction, but as it developed I incorporated some sci-fi/futuristic elements into it. As a result, it's not "hard" literary or "hard" sci-fi. I'm afraid literary publishers will reject it for being a genre story and sci-fi mags for not being sci-fi enough.

What type of magazines should I submit the story to?

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried posting the story in the SYW section or let a beta reader look at it? That would be the easiest way. If you don't want to go that route, you're going to have to be your own judge.

Sight unseen, I would suggest sending it to the sci-fi markets. Not being 100% hard sci-fi is no guarantee for rejection.

It's really hard to give that type of advice without actually seeing the story.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The SFF markets don't exclusively demand hard SF, although there are some that lean more that direction--like Analog. Your best bet is to look at the guidelines for some of the places you want to submit to.

Ellie LaTraille

Registered
Reaction score
Also, consider submitting to a lit mag anyway. You'll find that the editors don't care if it's got "genre" elements so long as it's good writing!

Now, what people consider "good writing"...that's a different story, and totally dependent on people you'll probably never meet, so just make sure it's a solid piece of work and submit away.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I have had several stories published in literary magazines that had fantasy elements. Just make sure you know your market. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.