The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Editorial Freelancers Association

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Noman's Avatar

Editorial Freelancers Association

They advertise themselves as, "The Editorial Freelancers Association is a national, nonprofit organization of self-employed professionals in publishing and communications."

On November 17, 2012 I wrote to them on the subject of qualifications.
    "I am looking for an editor. I discovered EFA, but could not find what qualifications a member needs for acceptance. Before beginning a search on EFA's site, I would like the following answered.

I found that 'Any adult who affirms that he or she contracts his or her services as an editorial freelancer or is professionally qualified to do so may apply for membership in EFA by submitting a written application.' In my profession, education, training, the passing of a licensing test all contribute towards my being able to identify myself as a member.

What are EFA's standards? What does membership mean in terms of actual qualifications?

It would also help if the Member Directory search indicated fiction genres. In my search for science fiction, a number of people surfaced who were not skilled or interested in that area.

This is my second attempt to get this question answered. Without some reply, I'm left to assume that there are no standards other than hanging out a shingle."

As of 12/2/2012 I received no answer. What is to be made of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Noman View Post
    As of 12/2/2012 I received no answer. What is to be made of this?
    A hat? A brooch? A pterodactyl? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Adding a link: http://www.the-efa.org/

I'm not sure they have any qualifications, other than self-identification. (And paying a fee.) That doesn't mean it's a scam. I did a search of editors in my state and found that there were plenty with decent qualifications for the type of work they do.

But since they have to self-identify, YMMV.

And they should have replied to your queries.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Noman's Avatar
    UPDATE FROM AN EFA MEMBER:
    When EFA how they qualified writers, they didn't respond. I sent the question twice; twice no response.
    I wrote to an EFA member who recommended "the experienced professionals at http://www.the-efa.org (the Editorial Freelancers Association)."
    She said, "They're a volunteer organization... and anyone can check the public resumes of the members. Generally speaking, people are busy. You have to do the legwork."

So, they are not vetted by EFA. It only serves as a dispatcher. Caveat emptor.