The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicity] Mass Media Distribution

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Publicity] Mass Media Distribution

Has anyone used a company called Mass Media Distribution? My book "A child Has No Voice" was released today and I'm considering this company to distribute my press release.
    https://www.createspace.com/3967162

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Linda, I'm moving your question to BR&BC where someone may be able to answer your question.
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link: http://www.massmediadistribution.com/

How many books have you bought as the result of an MMD press release? Have any of the people you know?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Readers don't buy books because they've read press releases. They buy books because they've read good reviews of them, or because their friends have talked to or Facebooked them or whatever about those books.

Newspapers and magazines don't write stories about books because they've been sent press releases: they write news stories because they've been sent press releases which have told them about news stories.

That books are being published is not a news story on its own. "Local author published!" might be; "book about something!" is not.

Newspapers and so on don't write reviews because they've received press releases: they write reviews because they've been sent press packs--which are far more than press releases--about books which they know will have a decent readership waiting to find out more.

I don't see much that such a service could offer a writer. A good publicist would be more use, but with a book only available on CreateSpace, you're going to struggle to find many sales. Perhaps you should focus on getting your book available through plenty of different channels, and in as many formats as you can cope with, instead of spending money in this way.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    If you want to distribute a press release (and I agree completely with Old Hack; it's one of the least effective of all book promotion strategies), use PR Web. It's free.

I occasionally get press releases from companies like this, because I used to write book reviews. Their lists are not opt-in--they harvest addresses from the Internet. I consider such emails spam, and I'm not alone.

Here's another reason not to use a press release distribution service (or at least, not to pay for one): this "success story" on Mass Media Distribution's website.
    On the same day as the press release was distributed, I received a phone call from the Special Guest Coordinator of The Balancing Act, a morning television show that airs daily on the Lifetime channel. They are considering me for appearing on their show to reach their audience of women, approximately 2 million. It's not "official" yet, but I am extremely hopeful.
    What's not mentioned here: The Balancing Act requires its guests to pay an appearance fee of nearly $6,000.

- Victoria

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Ye gods. No wonder they didn't mention that bit...
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I assumed the testimonials were fake, since they're either nameless ("An Author") or last name only ("Mike K.") But the Balancing Act testimonial suggests some of them are real--not in a good way.

- Victoria

Thank you, much appreciation.

This group is too kind, thanks everyone for your help.