• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Market Listing] Duotrope

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Duotrope, which lists markets and stats, is finally moving to a subscription service. Considering how long they've been running it at a loss I don't blame them, though it's a still a shame. There's a lot of people asking why they haven't tried running ads or charging markets to appear; I'm not keen on the latter, but I'm surprised they didn't try the former.

When it says most services are going paid early, I think they mean all - I certainly can't see how the site would have much functionality for someone who hasn't paid. It's going to lose a lot of users, which could affect the stats.

I'm up in the air at the moment. It's not like it offers me anything I couldn't do myself, though it is more convenient. It's been a while since I've found any new markets that have been of much use to me (compared with markets I've previously submitted to) but I still use it to keep track of deadlines and anthology calls. So, yeah. I've always preferred duotrope to most of the other market listing sites, and it's not like it's that expensive, but I just don't know if it's a service I use enough to make it worth paying for regularly.

(thanks to the mods for the forum move - I wasn't sure it was important enough for BB&BC so I played it safe :) )

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I have to pay, I can find better market guides.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I use it intermittently for short story markets, but not enough to make much more than the 50 dollar a subscription would cost. So subscribing would make not financial sense for me.

Krazykat

Positivilly Movillis . . .
Registered
Reaction score
When you find them, please share them with us, James.

I just wanted to second this request. Or if anyone else can recommend another resource that's similar to Duotrope, I'd certainly appreciate it; I haven't found anything truly comparable yet, especially with regards to the search features they offer . . .

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I used Duotrope a lot when I was first starting out and didn't know where to send my stories. I still use them occasionally. I also donate, and I'll probably subscribe once the option to use Paypal is set up on Jan. 1. I don't mind paying for things I find useful.

It's a shame that the most useful aspects of Duotrope is the response times logs, which will become less useful once fewer people are using it.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame that the most useful aspects of Duotrope is the response times logs, which will become less useful once fewer people are using it.

Exactly this. I really like the combination of features that Duotrope has, but it does seem likely that they'll have a lot less data to provide when they move to this model.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope only for paid subscribers

Perhaps I've missed an earlier thread, but I just learned from their site that Duotrope will be available only to paid subscribers beginning January 1. (A mod please send this to any pre-existing thread on the topic, or delete if appropriate.)

So how does this now differ from, oh, say an agency charging a reading fee?

caw

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I sent my concerns to DT and they very kindly responded and allowed me to post on my blog. You'll find the conversation in the comments section of my blog below. Hope you find it useful.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Project Deadlight. I do fear they're being too optimistic about subscription rates, but I hope they're right.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Perhaps I've missed an earlier thread, but I just learned from their site that Duotrope will be available only to paid subscribers beginning January 1. (A mod please send this to any pre-existing thread on the topic, or delete if appropriate.)

caw

It's different because Duotrope is basically a big database. So you're paying now to use the database. You give them the $50 and you can access the searchable features, use their query tracker, find out response times, etc.

An agency charging a reading fee is not obligated to give you anything for your money. You pay the $20 and send in your manuscript, if they get busy they can just pocket the cash and all you get for your money is a rejection slip.

Duotrope at least provides a service.

Unfortunately, the $50 subscription seems a little too steep for me because I don't use it enough to warrant the investment. Although when you think about it Publisher's Weekly is $19.99 a month, IIRC so when you compare it to that it's a bargain. :: shrug ::

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I use Duotrope and have donated every year for several years, but $50 is more than I can afford. I wrote to them expressing my disappointment at the rate, but I doubt it will do much good.

For anyone interested, you can get information, reviews and links to literary magazines on New Pages.

http://www.newpages.com/literary-magazines/

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Really, to make it worthwhile a user has to get $50 or more wortth of leads a year from Duotrope. It's made me some money, and it's put me onto a lot of paying markets I've yet to crack, but I'm not seeing enough of a return to make it worthwhile.

(there's people commenting on the facebook announcements who've never made anything from their writing - the urge to tell them "start at the top" is strong)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I use Duotrope and have donated every year for several years, but $50 is more than I can afford. I wrote to them expressing my disappointment at the rate, but I doubt it will do much good.

For anyone interested, you can get information, reviews and links to literary magazines on New Pages.

http://www.newpages.com/literary-magazines/

I had forgotten about newpages. Thanks :)

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to pay the $5 monthly fee for a few months and see how it goes.

Me, too. I've donated in the past, though not fifty bucks in one year. That amount seems high. Then again, I'm reluctant to sign up for an automatically renewing subscription so I might just do a gift certificate to myself to get around it.

I track my submissions via Excel spreadsheets, so I wouldn't lose any information, but I still like using the tracker at Duotrope (partly because I have felt I've been helping compile stats that helped the whole community; if that changes, I may not ).

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com

caw

It's nothing like an agency charging a reading fee. Agencies typically make their money off of commission on what they sell. A market listing resource doesn't sell anything other than the resource itself. Duotrope charging is no different than Writer's Market charging for online access. It's the resource that is being sold.

Query Tracker does this better by charging only for expanded features but allowing tracking and data collection for free. But Duotrope isn't charging for expanded features they've recently added, they're charging for features that used to be free, which will no doubt dramatically reduce their user base and therefore make their statistics considerably less valuable, so paid subscribers will actually be getting less than when the service was free. Making a once free product less useful and then charging for it is not a very good marketing plan.

Sure, they have to make money somehow, but they ought to try advertising first (i.e. selling add space to authors and publishers). $50 a year is too high for a market resource, and the value of the data will be greatly diluted when a large percentage of users jump ship. I fear Duotrope is going to tank itself, unfortunately.