Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oh good gawd -- who on earth thought THIS was a good idea????

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Aww....I LOVE the movie!!! You can bet I'll watch it, though, I don't think Carrie Underwood holds a candle to Julie Andrews. Much as I love her.

Kzordcid

I rite good
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, sounds interesting. The Sound of Music is my favorite movie, and while I wouldn't be a fan of a full scale remake, this just seems to be a recording of the Broadway show. Not sure how I feel about Carrie Underwood as Maria, but I'll give it a shot.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing. I bet if it's a live concert/show they'll even have Julie Andrews in the audience, she's awesome that way (though no pressure Carrie :) ).

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing. I bet if it's a live concert/show they'll even have Julie Andrews in the audience, she's awesome that way (though no pressure Carrie :) ).

Haha. I have to agree, though. I'd be upset if there was a full scale remake, but I'll watch this one. That would be cool to see Julie Andrews in the audience. She is so classy.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it some kind of "set-in-the-south" version? Because there's no way she's going to lose that twang.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing.

Ditto.

I tend to think of TV musicals more like wide-release stage plays. They don't bother me as 'remakes' because they're not really remakes. They're new productions with a new cast.

I'm still boggled by the casting, but I'm also intrigued enough to see how it works out.

The musical the *should* do is Wicked. The girl who plays Rachel on Glee looks and sounds so much like Idina Menzel, she's perfect for Elphaba. :D

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Every Christmas my fam gets together and watches The Sound of Music. Such a classic--Julie Andrews is wonderful.

Sure CU's got some pipes, but the movie's about so much more than just singing. I'll be a skeptic viewer, and like others have mentioned, I'm very glad it's not a full-scale remake.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto.

I tend to think of TV musicals more like wide-release stage plays. They don't bother me as 'remakes' because they're not really remakes. They're new productions with a new cast.

I'm still boggled by the casting, but I'm also intrigued enough to see how it works out.

The musical the *should* do is Wicked. The girl who plays Rachel on Glee looks and sounds so much like Idina Menzel, she's perfect for Elphaba. :D

Didn't Idina Menzel play Rachel's mother? I don't remember.

Beatlemaniac

Imma Mum-Mum
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I love Carrie Underwood (and I really do), there is no way I'm going to watch a version of The Sound of Music without Julie Andrews!

Some things need to be left alone...like Casablanca. I read somewhere there is talk of remaking that classic film (why don't they really tear my heart out and remake The African Queen into a slapstick comedy while they're at it...)

No, no, a thousand times no! How could anyone replace Bogie and Bergman? Please.

What the hell happened to originality?

Sorry for the mini-rant... :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't Idina Menzel play Rachel's mother? I don't remember.

Yep.

Some things need to be left alone...like Casablanca. I read somewhere there is talk of remaking that classic film

They're talking sequel, not remake. The exec's granddaughter has the script penned by Casablanca's writers, which was never filmed. Bogart's descendants are the main opposition.

I've always thought that one would be perfect for a remake. You can tell there are places the script wanted to be darker and grittier, but the censors wouldn't allow it (same with It's a Wonderful Life, of all things. Mr. Potter's comeuppance was cut out.) Remember, it was actually a stage play first, so the dynamics were a bit different. I'd love to see the story as the writer originally intended.

However, I retract that statement if the best they can do is another Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion. :flag:

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
As much as I love Carrie Underwood (and I really do), there is no way I'm going to watch a version of The Sound of Music without Julie Andrews!

so you would never watch a stage version of SoM without Julie Andrews?

I guess it really doesn't bother me since the movie is based on a stage show and stage shows are done by different actors, different directors, different visions, all the time and having another version gives the chance for a new audience to see it that may not watch Julie's original (I'm thinking of someone like my 15 year old sister who if it hasn't come out in the past 5 years thinks it's "old" and won't watch).

I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is right for the role of Maria, because I don't and it feels like stunt casting to me, but I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

Now movies, converted to stage shows, converted to movies THAT'S a totally different back ;)

Beatlemaniac

Imma Mum-Mum
Registered
Reaction score
Yep.

They're talking sequel, not remake. The exec's granddaughter has the script penned by Casablanca's writers, which was never filmed. Bogart's descendants are the main opposition.

I've always thought that one would be perfect for a remake. You can tell there are places the script wanted to be darker and grittier, but the censors wouldn't allow it (same with It's a Wonderful Life, of all things. Mr. Potter's comeuppance was cut out.) Remember, it was actually a stage play first, so the dynamics were a bit different. I'd love to see the story as the writer originally intended.

However, I retract that statement if the best they can do is another Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion. :flag:

A sequel, eh? Yep, you're right--I goofed on that one! I could have sworn what I read (in Parade Magazine) said it was to be remake of the original film, but I just double-checked and it said "sequel". Oops, my bad. :D

I can understand your comment about making things in the film darker and grittier, most definitely. But, I just can't picture anyone else (actor-wise) related to that movie but Bogie and Bergman.

The reason why I even made a comment in the first place is that I'm so sick of Hollywood just remaking movie after movie instead of doing something original. Yes, I know back in Hollywood's Golden Era, films were remade then too, but not at the frequency they are today.

A Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion? Oh dear God, I so hope not...

Beatlemaniac

Imma Mum-Mum
Registered
Reaction score
so you would never watch a stage version of SoM without Julie Andrews?

Honestly, I don't know. I so associate Julie Andrews with SoM, I'm not sure if I would. And it would also depend who's in the stage show as well. I mean, look at how many Broadway shows have a big name star while in New York, and then when it goes out on the road, the production suddenly has someone who's not in the caliber as the "big name star" and the whole thing gets cheesy.

And no, I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is cheesy either--like I said, I do like her music. The girl definitely can sing--hell, I voted for her on Idol (the only season I ever watched it, and that was because I accidentally came across her singing one night and thought she was terrific).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I think I must be the only one who despised the original, much as I like Julie Andrews' voice. Too treacly for me.

As for the sequel...pass.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tuzki-bunny-emoticon-048.gif
For the love of Dawg, why?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm fearing the day they remake Heaven Knows Mister Allison.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Honestly, I don't know. I so associate Julie Andrews with SoM, I'm not sure if I would. And it would also depend who's in the stage show as well. I mean, look at how many Broadway shows have a big name star while in New York, and then when it goes out on the road, the production suddenly has someone who's not in the caliber as the "big name star" and the whole thing gets cheesy.

And no, I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is cheesy either--like I said, I do like her music. The girl definitely can sing--hell, I voted for her on Idol (the only season I ever watched it, and that was because I accidentally came across her singing one night and thought she was terrific).

Interesting. I'm not that attached to SoM or Andrews role in it, so maybe that plays into it. I'm also a theatre person so...

I don't think I've ever seen a stage show that is "cheesy" without a big name attached, at least not a traveling show. IN fact I saw a production of Wicked without Idina or Kristen that I thought was in ways better. I've also seen two different productions of In The Heights without star/writer Lin-Manuel Miranda and I thought they were just as good. To me it's about the material not the star.

Now I've seen some bad community theater performances...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
tuzki-bunny-emoticon-048.gif
For the love of Dawg, why?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm fearing the day they remake Heaven Knows Mister Allison.
---

You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea.:D

That was a great movie and I couldn't really see anyone else in Mitchum's role. Kerr's either, for that matter.