Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Coalition gets trashed in Rotherham

Out to lunch

Coalition gets trashed in Rotherham

Well, byelections are funny things, but last night's results in Rotherham make for sober reading.

Sarah Champion (Lab) 9,866 (46.25%, +1.62%)
    Jane Collins (UKIP) 4,648 (21.79%, +15.87%)
    Marlene Guest (BNP) 1,804 (8.46%, -1.96%)
    Yvonne Ridley (Respect) 1,778 (8.34%)
    Simon Wilson (Cons) 1,157 (5.42%, -11.32%)
    David Wildgoose (Eng Dem) 703 (3.30%)
    Simon Copley (Ind) 582 (2.73%, -3.58%)
    Michael Beckett (Lib Dems) 451 (2.11%, -13.87%)
    Ralph Dyson (TUSC) 261 (1.22%)
    Paul Dickson (Ind) 51 (0.24%)
    Clint Bristow (ND) 29 (0.14%)

The Tories took a drubbing, even for Rotherham. The xenophobic right had a good evening, with the unpleasant UKIP in second and the despicable BNP in third place. But the Liberal Democrats came 8th, behind even the English Democrats, whoever they are. Extinction beckons, I reckon.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. AW Moderator Torgo's Avatar
    Bye bye, Lib Dems! Don't let electoral oblivion hit you on the arse on the way out.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.
    You British are always so proper. Voters on the other side of the pond apparently don't mind all that much. Our liars typically see a 90% + reelection rate.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

In Time-Out For My Sins
    To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.

I intend to vote Monster Raving Loony next time I get a chance.
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Are they still about? I thought they'd packed in when Screaming Lord Sutch died.

Out to lunch
    To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.
    The Lib Dems' combination of leftish sanctimony and letting Thatcherites gut the welfare state is horrible. They back Osborne as he destroys the Health Service and then make a stand against the Tories on...the Leveson Report.

Truly, truly pathetic. Even the English Democrats couldn't be that bad. Whoever they are, as I think I've said before.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Yes well..... Any party with 'English' in their name should put 'Little' in front of it.

Are they still about? I thought they'd packed in when Screaming Lord Sutch died.
    They had a candidate in my constituency last election. Matt "Bananamatt" Fensome, according to Wikipedia.
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

In Time-Out For My Sins

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Let's not pretend this means anything on a national scale. The turnout was way down - typical mid-term protest vote. When the next general election comes around it'll be the usual suspects occupying the top slots.
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

the Juggernaut of Imperfection crunchyblanket's Avatar
    Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
    Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.
    Almost every poll and byelection for the last couple of years has suggested the Lib Dems have lost between a third and a half of their support. I think they have. They think they have as well.