Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So today I noticed the Wii U is in stores. Anyone bought one already? What do you think? Heard anything about it?

Here's what I've heard:

There will be a tablet to go along with the controllers, and this is where all the perceived problems lie.

1. Things happen on the tablet screen sometimes, which means you now have 2 screens to pay attention to when playing games.

2. Apparently you can only use 1 tablet per Wii U at a time. So this effectively ruins in-home multiplayer. I've heard you can still do multiplayer, with 5 players actually, but it's a case of 1 person gets the tablet and the rest get controllers. It seems the person with the tablet would have an entirely different role in the game than the other 4 people. I foresee many arguments regarding this.

So yeah, that's how much I've heard in my limited browsing.

Anyone got anything else to add? I've always been a Nintendo person, but I don't know... The reviews seem to indicate the Wii U is Nintendo's version of Windows 8, without actually coming right out and saying it. Great for some people, not very good for a lot of people.

I'm hesitant to condemn it, as I haven't used one yet. Hence opening this thread.

:)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it actually looks pretty good. I've seen a bit of ZombiU and the new Super Mario game and both seem to play well, look good and have good controls. As for how multiplayer works, you're right, the person with the pad will generally have a very different role in the game than the person/people with the controller(s). But, they can just take turns or whatever.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
And if I recall correctly, it's backwards compatible, so all your old Wii games will work on it still. So that's good.

Might have to check out some Wii U videos on youtube...

So... do you think it's worth the money? Or maybe people will wait till there are more games for it?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, checked out some videos...

The graphics look pretty good to me. As in, better than on the Wii, but without doing what a lot of high-tech graphics seem to do today, which is annoy me by making it harder to distinguish between one thing and the next. If that makes sense.

I was actually pretty happy with how the tablet was used in Wii Sports. I like Wii Sports, and the tablet seemed to make the gameplay easier. Instead of needing to look at 2 screens frantically, it seems you can line something up etc. on the TV, then use the tablet to fine-tune the actual delivery. Only saw Baseball and Golf iterations, though, so I'm not sure how Bowling and Tennis will fare (my 2 favourites).

The video I saw for ZombiU looked like it'd take a fair bit of getting used to, but there were comments about the way the story works that I thought showed great ingenuity.

So okay... That makes a few videos in favour of Wii U, and a few reviews against Wii U, on my end.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting. New hardware is okay, but it's the games that matter. So far as I've seen there's nothing close to a must-have game for this system yet.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping they do a new Donkey Kong game, actually. I love Donkey Kong so much. I found it a lot better than Mario on the SNES and N64, but don't have either on the Wii.

Isn't the DK game on the Wii just a reboot of Donkey Kong Country from the SNES? That's what I was told, anyway, which was disappointing...

So yeah, hopefully the Wii U will bring a new DK adventure. Hopefully more in line with the SNES games than the N64 game, though I loved both.

ETA: Notable exception is Mario Kart. That game rocked my socks.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... those narrators are annoying.

I'm still not holding my breath for Mario games. They just don't interest me on a gameplay level... (The exception being Mario Kart, of course, which is made of win. :D)

I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled, but DK really defined the side-scroller adventure of my childhood. It's hard to not compare Mario to DK.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Hi all.

My partner came home with a WiiU the other day, but it's going to collect a lot of dust between now and March when the new Monster Hunter game comes out (we both still play MH3:Tri every night on the Wii). I've looked at the lists of current and announced titles, and there's just not much out there. Probably Pikimin 3. Definitely Mario Kart (if only that had been a launch title!!).

I've played some of the games on Nintendoland, which came with the console, but they're of limited interest. I'm just not a fan of mini-games, and as potentially useful as the handheld is, it's also freakin heavy. If I could lay it on my lap that would be fine, but you have to keep it tilted up to see the screen and it really gets tiring after a while.

I've also spent way too much time creating Miis, including four characters from my current novel. It's an extremely silly thing to do, but I can't seem to resist. :D

So is everyone else waiting until after the holidays? Until better games come out? I was surprised to see consoles sitting on the shelf at Walmart yesterday. When the Wii came out you couldn't find one anywhere, for months!

Civic

Isosceles Triangle Expert
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be buying one eventually but I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fanboy so that will be the time when I buy.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
The tablet is super, super light. Like probably weighs less than my 3ds.

I bought the New Super Mario Bros game, which is a /lot/ of fun, especially co-op. We also got Ninja Gaiden 3 and ZombieU but I haven't had a chance to really play them yet.

Some games do allow you to use multiple tablets, and some games do have things happening on both screens (i.e. in ZombieU your inventory is on the tablet, and the game is on the screen, but I've played games before that don't pause when you go to your inventory so this seems a bit better and more 'realistic).

Super Mario Bros has one person using a tablet, and someone else using the controller, and both are very fun roles. Same with Nintendo Land. Just because you're not using the tablet doesn't mean you're having less fun, it just means you're playing in a slightly different manner.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I might get one eventually, but honestly, I felt so burned by the Wii that it will probably be a long while yet. That thing just sat on my shelf and collected dust until I finally sold it. The tablet controller does look interesting.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Just went into some local game stores to check out prices. For how much the WiiU costs, I could buy an XBox360 and a few games to boot...

The question then becomes: will the WiiU be good enough to tempt me away from the 360, which has some great games I'd love to play? When I bought my Wii a few years ago, the XBox360 was about double the price, so I went with the Wii. Haven't had a huge amount of use out of it, to be honest.

I'll keep checking up on the WiiU, anyway. And it's not like I can afford either right now, nor are they high on my priority list.

Has anyone heard anything about new versions of the PS or XBox coming out soon? Maybe it's time to branch this conversation out to comparisons between systems?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Has anyone heard anything about new versions of the PS or XBox coming out soon? Maybe it's time to branch this conversation out to comparisons between systems?

They've both been working on them for quite some time. Speculation says either might be announced at the next E3, but then they said that last year. Sony & Microsoft both have so much money invested in this console generation that they're trying to squeeze it for every last dime before moving on. It's almost like they're daring each other to go first at this point, because once one of them does the other is sure to follow.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Okay, thanks. :)

I'm still pretty amazed at what price the 360 I saw today was. It's about 3/4 what it was 1.5 years ago, which I guess doesn't sound like much, but in Australia electronics can be quite expensive. Coupled with how much the WiiU is... Yeah, if I had the money to spare, I'd go with the 360 at this point in time.

I'm sure when the next generation comes out, they'll be ridiculously expensive (here at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.