I don't know if I should be excited or nervous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This started as a thread for "The History Maker."
From post 98, it is devoted to "Angel of Death"

Hi everyone,

Putting my self-published experience here for all to see, all the good, bad and the ugly parts!

NOTE: I am throwing out everything that I have done/will do in an effort to promote my book. I am in no way attempting to advertise my novel to you guys here on AW. My aim is to help my fellow self-pubbers, and if anyone can take a tip or two from my experience, then this guide will be worth it. I am a link in the chain, where we pass on our knowledge to each other.

A quick note on my novel:
It is a romantic suspense novel. I started writing it in Jan 2010, after it sat idle for nearly five years as a screenplay. I set myself a goal in 2010- start and FINISH a novel. Thankfully, February of this year, I achieved my goal.

I was in no hurry to query it off to agents or publishers, so I let it sit for three months while I started on a second novel and a few short stories. Since May, I have put it through a number of re-writes/edits and as of today, I have 165 paperback copies sitting in my house.

I am publishing the paperback version with Createspace and the eBook version on Kindle from the 8th December.

On Createspace: To anyone planning self-publishing, even if it’s just digital, I strongly recommend printing a proof copy on createspace. Depending on delivery, they cost approx $10-20.
The benefits of holding a paperback version in your hand should not be underestimated.
Firstly, the buzz of having a physical copy of a novel you created, whoa!
Secondly, for revision. You have been looking at the on-screen version of your book for months, years, whatever. Reading the actual printed version casts a whole new light on your work, mistakes with spelling, grammar, plot, etc. are a lot easier to find.
Also, the physical copy reminds you that what you are doing (writing and publishing a novel) is really a big deal. Many people have said “I really want to write a book.” And while they may do it in the future, give yourself a pat on the back and realise that you actually have done it.

It wasn’t all plain sailing with CS. There overseas number didn’t work, and I sent many an angry email about their delivery date estimates. In the end, I can’t complain with their service.
- Back to the Self-pub experience….

Marketing and placement:
I am stocking my book in 7 local stores and 3 bookstores.
I created a Facebook author page.
- So far, 280 ‘likes’.
- I also created an ‘event’ for my launch.
I created a website, with short stories, poems, and soon, the first two chapters of The History Maker.
I am running a draw for a free copy of my book for everyone who clicked ‘like’ on my page.
Debating whether I should extend the competition to raffle a Kindle (Would cost me approx €90).
I wrote one free article in countywide free magazine, will do another three over next month.
I am charging €12 for my book.
In January, I will be placing a few free copies in local libraries to generate interest for future work of mine.

Planning, over the next few days/weeks:
I am not involved with goodreads, but I see it mentioned in every second thread. Going to get on that.
My twitter account is weak. I have a connection with an Irish celebrity so gonna play that card in middle of December.
Formatting the Kindle version and uploading.

Having a launch night in a Bar where I am manager:
Local postmen agreed to deliver 500 flyers with post next week to advertise my launch night.
I will be selling copies at the Launch.
I have an arrangement with a local bus operator to provide buses for the launch, should there be numbers to justify it. (I live 15miles from where the bar is).
I bought an advert in local magazine which cost me €30.

At the moment, I have 165 copies of The History Maker sitting in my office. Two months ago, I would have aimed for 70/80 sales. But, recently, word has gotten around locally that I’ve written a book, and so that’s the reason I’ve jumped up in numbers.

@annjoyce: You gave me confidence about ordering books. Before I read your SP experience, I looked at paperback copies as a short term investment. The thought of having copies left over after Christmas didn’t sit well. Following your thread, I’ve realized that having 50 copies in January is no big deal. Thanks for that.

Over the coming weeks, I will put up my costs if anyone is interested.

In a nutshell, if I sell the 165 copies I have, and hopefully another ten or so eBook versions over the next two months, I’d be over the moon. Fingers crossed.

The day is coming close, on the 8th of December I will be a published author.

Nervous and excited :)

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Back to the Self-pub experience….

At the moment, I have 165 copies of The History Maker sitting in my office. Two months ago, I would have aimed for 70/80 sales. But, recently, word has gotten around locally that I’ve written a book, and so that’s the reason I’ve jumped up in numbers.

@annjoyce: You gave me confidence about ordering books. Before I read your SP experience, I looked at paperback copies as a short term investment. The thought of having copies left over after Christmas didn’t sit well. Following your thread, I’ve realized that having 50 copies in January is no big deal. Thanks for that.

The day is coming close, on the 8th of December I will be a published author.

Nervous and excited :)

Wow, Spell-it-out, No one can accuse you of sitting on your laurels waiting for it to happen. Your marketing ideas are very ambitious!

If you have 165 copies sitting in your office now, I would say you're already a published author. But, I'm sure you're referring to your e-book version. Congratulations on all of it. You're right...there's nothing quite like holding that first print copy in your hands.

I'm happy I was able to offer you some inspiration. That was one of the main things I hoped to do with that thread. I will be giving my weekly report for sales on Sunday, but between you and me, I'm at 83 as of today. I still have a couple of hundred in stock, but for some reason, I'm not worried about that. Even if the rest move out slowly, I'm ready when someone wants one. It works for me!

I wish you well in all that you put your hand to. All each of us can do is give it our best shot. I will be looking forward to your updates. I'm excited for you. Here's to success! :D

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess you are right about me being a published author actually. Need to make that first sale on Saturday week and then it's set in stone.

Thanks very much Ann for your comments, and I wish you continued success.

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
Congrats!

I just recently published my new novel, The Elementals, in all three formats (hardcover, paperback, and ebook). But like you said, there is no better feeling than having a physical copy in your hands. It feels...real. :D

We are all in this together, and bouncing ideas off of each other always helps. I have not started to hit up local stores or anything yet, but ideas are always welcome. I've poked around on the internet and don't see many local bookstores anymore. Just the big behemoth (B&N), who likely won't blink an eye at an indie author (though they are happy to have my book on their website!).

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
Who did you publish your hardcover through? Were you happy with them?

So far, VERY happy. I did it through Virtual Bookworm (http://www.virtualbookworm.com), and they have easily met and exceeded my expectations. I must say that with any POD you will get nervous with the quality of the hardcover and paperbacks, and I was...until last week when I finally held one in my hands. Here's me in all my dorkiness with it:

http://www.tempestworks.com/1/post/2012/11/reality-sets.html

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

I just recently published my new novel, The Elementals, in all three formats (hardcover, paperback, and ebook). But like you said, there is no better feeling than having a physical copy in your hands. It feels...real. :D

Congrats!

Where are you selling your HB and PB copies?

I went to three local bookstores here in south-west Ireland, and 2/3 took them no problem (with 25-30% commission, no worries), the last store wanted me to go through an amount of hurdles to get set up as an independent supplier, which I will do in time.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

The excitement is slightly ahead of the nerves at this moment, 60/40 I'd say :)

Collecting 500 flyers from printers soon and getting postmen to deliver them on Monday. Also, printing posters for launch this afternoon and placing them in local stores.

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
Congrats!

Where are you selling your HB and PB copies?

I went to three local bookstores here in south-west Ireland, and 2/3 took them no problem (with 25-30% commission, no worries), the last store wanted me to go through an amount of hurdles to get set up as an independent supplier, which I will do in time.

Thanks...

As with most indie authors, I don't expect to see hardcover or paperback copies in brick-and-mortar stores. I will likely have to peddle them myself locally (as you have), but the chances of them taking any are probably pretty slim. My problem is that I have not purchased any copies myself yet to peddle. Money is a wee-bit tight right now.

Mine are available online via Amazon, B&N, and ebook (i-book, Nook, Kindle). That's pretty much how Print on Demand works.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just the big behemoth (B&N), who likely won't blink an eye at an indie author (though they are happy to have my book on their website!).

As with most indie authors, I don't expect to see hardcover or paperback copies in brick-and-mortar stores.

Troy, read the self publishing room's guidelines, please, and pay particular attention to the section on "indie publishing". Thanks.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Spell-it-out,

Also, completely off-topic but please say that your tagline next to your avatar is related to Vinnie the Fox's panda?

Yeah the tagline is from the Fox's panda advert, love them adverts :D ...and compare the market meerkats!

Thank you so much for checking out my page, a few people have told me they came away slightly depressed after 'Emily Davis' - Sure, gotta evoke emotions eh!

Robert Gonko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robertgonko.wordpress.com
Hoping to get my first novel, 'The Inheritance,' e-published through Smashwords next year. I'm not going to mess with print right now even though I would love to hold a hardcopy in my hands. I just can't afford it. Maybe down the road I can do it.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love writers that can do that with their work and leave things a little ambiguous. I know I am probably not explaining myself properly - So I am just going say great story and I am looking forward to reading The History Maker.

Hi again,

Haha I do get what you mean, and thank you for the compliment, blushing here! I like to leave more than a hint of ambiguity in most stories I write, just as I'd like to see it in other writing, films, etc.

Oh, excellent cover on 'forgotten' IMO!

Will it only available in paperback or will there be a kindle edition as well?

I ran through my Kindle version yesterday, one last check for flaws. So, within the next few hours it should be live on the various Amazon sites. I am also selling a paperback version on Amazon.

On a broader note, I delivered 64 books to local bookstores and shops today ahead of my launch tomorrow evening.
I will keep you all up to date with how that goes.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping to get my first novel, 'The Inheritance,' e-published through Smashwords next year. I'm not going to mess with print right now even though I would love to hold a hardcopy in my hands. I just can't afford it. Maybe down the road I can do it.

Hi Robert,

Money is a problem for most of us unfortunately! I must admit to scraping the bottom of the barrel over the last few months in an effort to save money for the createspace copies.

But, if in the future, you can keep aside a few dollars/euro, grabbing a physical copy of your book from CS is an unreal feeling.

Best of luck with 'The Inheritance'.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Launch done and dusted

FINALLY:partyguy:

Whoa, a crazy few days.

165 books delivered from Creatspace last week.

I delivered 64 books to 12 bookstores and local grocery shops on Friday.
I had my launch night on Saturday, and to say it went well would be an understatement.

With a number of free books given away, as well as a few sold personally, I had 77 books to sell... and I sold out :hooray: Took orders for an extra 11.

On the launch itself:
The most nervous that I have ever been, without doubt. A friend of mine provided finger food, and I stuck with my easy listening playlist on my iPod :D I had considered hiring a singer for the night, but it would have been too costly.I did not read any passage from the book, but I did say a few thank you's at the end of the night. The well wishes [and sales] were over-whelming.

Great news yesterday - one of the local shops sold out [13 books] and I had top re-stock them this morning. Another local store has sold 8/10 as of this afternoon. I have no clue to how the other books are selling in the other 10 stores.

- So, I can confirm that with 9 free/competition winners/gift copies, and having sold 115 books, it's a total of 124 books since Friday. I could not be happier.

Oh, and two sales from Amazon Kindle - assuming you were one ShadowCat :Hug2: ... And one paperback as well.

Just at this moment, a neighbour has walked in and purchased one - 125 now. I have a delivery of 30 books coming tomorrow, so it will bring my total ordered to 195. I think that I'm going to leave it at that for now.

So, I can say now that I am well and truly a self-published author.

I will continue to post about my progress over the coming weeks, as well as passing on any experience I gain from my adventure.

Thank you all for the support.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Those are great numbers, SIO. I hope your sales continue at this level. You've already sold more print copies than many self publishers ever manage to move, and deserve to be proud of yourself.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Very impressive numbers, Sio. I'm so happy for you. I believe you just might be our new rising star...congratulations! :hooray:

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Those are great numbers, SIO. I hope your sales continue at this level. You've already sold more print copies than many self publishers ever manage to move, and deserve to be proud of yourself.

Hi Old Hack,

Thank you so much. I am amazed at the great start, I have been very fortunate that the people in my locality and online, here and on facebook, have been so helpful.

Absolutely buzzin' at the moment :)

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling great, thank you all.

Very impressive numbers, Sio. I'm so happy for you. I believe you just might be our new rising star...congratulations! :hooray:

Ann,

Thank you!

I think the great start could be partly attributed to me being known locally, but I'll take it any way it comes now.
The numbers may hit rock bottom over the coming weeks, but the feeling I have had over the last number of days will keep me going for some time yet.

SIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.