Child inventor wows MIT...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XOLOLrUBRBY

This is a beautiful child with an incredible mind.

For those who can't watch the video, it's about a young man named Kelvin Doe, from Sierra Leone. At fifteen, he built a radio transmitter from parts he found in the garbage. He powers that transmitter with a generator he built the same way, and runs his own socially-conscious radio station as "DJ Focus." His hope is to engage and unite his community, creating a dialogue that can help solve some of the issues they face.

Thanks to a nonprofit, was able to briefly visit MIT, where people were both inspired and impressed by him. He was excited to have access to good materials. He got to hold a power drill for the first time. For the first time in his life, whatever he needed was at hand... except his family.

He's not necessarily reaching for an opportunity to come to the US permanently. As hard as things can be there, Kelvin's heart is in Sierra Leone, and he intends to go back there and spend his life making things better.

The world needs more people like this.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think he sounds like a wonderful young man. It's nice to hear about people like him. I'm not sure at this point in time why it matters that Romney was impressed by him, but whatever.

Yes, that last part is a joke.

;)