don't quit your day job

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I photograph couples in luuuurve for a living. Which is a nice way of saying I kiss the asses of many a bride and groomzilla and spend about 30 hours per wedding editing pictures
I always thought it was such a fun job! New people and new places every time. :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought it was such a fun job! New people and new places every time. :)

Heh, those are the reasons why I much prefer engagement shoots, where the couples are relaxed and I get to capture them just being in love with each other. But at weddings, things are often rushed, emotions are running high, and it doesn't take much to make anyone snap.

My last bride burst into tears when the florist sent over the wrong flowers. The groom from a previous wedding spent the morning arguing with the bride's mother and the rest of the day being grumpy and shooting mom-in-law dirty looks. Eesh.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had longer than 2 months being unemployed. Kinda wish I had, so I could get more writing done. Though I think I'd probably be most productive if I still at at least a part-time job to give me some structure.

I work as a corporate librarian/document control. The people I work with are nice, and it's a good company, but I don't find it my passion.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Financial Analyst.

And I'm not going to quit. I'm going to retire to write and travel - in 12 years when my kids are out of college.

It's me plan. I planned it.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I work for a major telecommunications company and my job title is Business Service Advisor. Which means in short sorting out problems so that other people can get on with their job of selling things.

I won't name the company as I make a point of keeping my personal/writing self and my dayjob/employee self separate - though it's not a secret that I write and I use my real name. No prospect of leaving the dayjob though in the foreseeable future. :(

GinnieHazel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a narcoterrorism analyst and I love my job. I'm not sure I could stay home all day. I'd go stir crazy! :)

That had me awfully confused until I figured out it meant narcotics. My brain went to narcoleptic and I thought you were a nightmare analyst. Or you lived in the world of science fiction.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
That had me awfully confused until I figured out it meant narcotics. My brain went to narcoleptic and I thought you were a nightmare analyst. Or you lived in the world of science fiction.

This made me laugh out loud!

I'm an assistant manager at McDonald's :] I've worked there since I was fourteen and I'm twenty-one now, so it's basically my second home. I'm transferring to other stores in our patch at the moment to train staff on the new computer system and basically help them out while my store is under renovation. I'm kind of a big deal in the local McD circles, haha :p

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm an assistant manager at McDonald's :] I've worked there since I was fourteen and I'm twenty-one now, so it's basically my second home. I'm transferring to other stores in our patch at the moment to train staff on the new computer system and basically help them out while my store is under renovation. I'm kind of a big deal in the local McD circles, haha :p

Time to ask for a promotion. :e2brows:

Beatlemaniac

Imma Mum-Mum
Registered
Reaction score
I have the two best jobs in the world: mom and writer.

They're both equal in my eyes: they equally drive me bonkers sometimes. :e2hammer:

But I wouldn't trade my kids or my "other babies" for anything. :D

teacherwelden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a middle school teacher....although I am on parenting leave at the moment while I care for my 3 children....I intend to do this much longer than my boss would probably like. I still work a couple of days a week at my old school as a relief teacher. This seems to work well for me as I don't have the other stuff to do that regular teachers do which would drain me mentally making writing impossible.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

That's really cool that you've stuck with the same job since you started working, and become it's overlord. :D When I got my first job working in cinemas, I loved the place and dreamed of rising to the top the same way -- it didn't work out, and for a few friends who it did work out for they found out the pay got no better, but that's cinema for you.

Now I work in IT and, while I never want to make management, I've found my niche as the most experienced person on the team and the one who's generally trusted to get things done and know how to fix issues. The responsibility's a nice feeling, even if it gets stressful some days.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
That's really cool that you've stuck with the same job since you started working, and become it's overlord. :D When I got my first job working in cinemas, I loved the place and dreamed of rising to the top the same way -- it didn't work out, and for a few friends who it did work out for they found out the pay got no better, but that's cinema for you.

Now I work in IT and, while I never want to make management, I've found my niche as the most experienced person on the team and the one who's generally trusted to get things done and know how to fix issues. The responsibility's a nice feeling, even if it gets stressful some days.

Haha, that's how I feel too! It can be SO stressful, being in charge of stuff. Especially when you have a boss who really believes in you and trusts you and you really don't want to let him down.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I moved from Massachusetts. So the cold didn't bother me but the permanent gray and rain really did (I figured out after I moved back that I have a touch of seasonal affective disorder -- a light box really helps with that). Southern Cali to England must have been one hell of a transition! Oxford is gorgeous though :)

We do have a lot of rain. A lot. But I live in Oxford now (note to self: update AW location info) and I love it. It's not as pretty as the rolling hills and peaceful little villages of Devon (cliche but true to where I grw up) but the buildings and the oldy-worldiness is lovely.
/derail

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
We do have a lot of rain. A lot. But I live in Oxford now (note to self: update AW location info) and I love it. It's not as pretty as the rolling hills and peaceful little villages of Devon (cliche but true to where I grw up) but the buildings and the oldy-worldiness is lovely.
/derail
Absolutely. And I love that it's beautiful and charming, yet seems like a pretty functional/practical town as well. I told my husband that if he ever makes us move back to England, we're going to Oxford.

Apologue

Pure heart, filthy mind
Registered
Reaction score
I work at a financial company. I used to do presentations, but recently switched departments and now my job is a lot harder to quantify. It involves writing, editing, and information design. It's a pretty sweet gig, pays the bills, and gives me time to write.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I work at Target, but I'm looking for something different. I'm in food services, and I don't mind most of the work, but it's not something that I could ever earn a living with. I'd love to find something that will at least allow me to move out of my parents' house but won't make me totally miserable.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I work at Target, but I'm looking for something different. I'm in food services, and I don't mind most of the work, but it's not something that I could ever earn a living with. I'd love to find something that will at least allow me to move out of my parents' house but won't make me totally miserable.

Haha, yeah, I feel you. I live at home, too. I would be able to afford to move out if I didn't have car payments. So it'll be a couple more years for me, I'm guessing.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, I feel you. I live at home, too. I would be able to afford to move out if I didn't have car payments. So it'll be a couple more years for me, I'm guessing.

I've already lived at home for two years (moved back after college graudation), and I have very few leads on good jobs. I'm definitely learning patience. :tongue

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
/derail

Cambridge is MUCH prettier ;) (Oxford/Cambridge rivalry surfacing...and that comment might give you a clue as to WHERE I am a student)

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, Becca, that place does seem like an amazing alien planet! And it's gorgeous. Oxford would seem faaar more boring in comparison :D

(Brief thread derail: how's your new NaNo WIP going? Dark reader that I am, I'm morbidly curious...)