don't quit your day job

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I work as a freelance editor.

sorry if this is overly personal, para, but don't you have law qualifications? What made you want to be an editor rather than a barrister/solicitor?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhh ... What does this have to do with YA? *bitter unemployed person*

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I was a student and then I was an intern. And then I ran out of money before I could get enough experience to get the job. :(
Now I'm looking for part-time anything anywhere.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I work in retail merchandising with teen girls & women's/misses apparel (been doing that the longest--eleven years at the same company). I also work as a direct sales consultant for a food company. I love ALL of my jobs, including "author."

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! You're my new best friend... hehe..

You like editors? :D

sorry if this is overly personal, para, but don't you have law qualifications? What made you want to be an editor rather than a barrister/solicitor?

Yep! I got a law degree, but went into publishing instead of law for a number of reasons. I wasn't willing to commit yet more time and money to the further training you need to qualify as a solicitor. It's highly competitive, and if you don't get a training contract, you don't get to even take the final exams. Law was never a passion of mine, whereas publishing is much closer to my real interests. And after three years of studying law, I was sick of it. :tongue

edit: Why freelance editing specifically? Because it's pretty close to being a full-time writer. I get the fun of editing fiction and the freedom of setting my own schedule. :)

Last edited:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an editor too, but it's corporate nonfiction stuff (snooze).

But in all honesty, it's cool. I get to fix people's writing all day.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Marketing at a non-fiction science publisher. The subject content can be a bit yawn, but I love the company. And being able to sneak into BEA every spring. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a technical writer for a big software company, and a freelance magazine journalist. I'd love to trade in the tech writing job and keep the freelance journalism and fiction writing. But nothing pays the bills like tech writing!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a test proctor at a community college. Before I applied (many years ago now) I had no idea that was a thing. It's an interesting job, though. :)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Writing *is* my day job.

I also do office work 10-12 hours per week for my father-in-law's business (which hubby also works for, full time). But I consider office work to be the bill-paying hobby, while writing is my career and calling.

And I have two teenage daughters. Sometimes they're more work than everything else combined. LOL

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Teacher, 15-19 yr olds. So basically the same age group I try to write for.