Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Canadian mandatory minimum laws to be challenged

Canadian mandatory minimum laws to be challenged

Recently the Conservatives passed an omnibus crime bill. It has raised much ire and includes many things, including the revoking of the decriminalisation of marijuana possession. Also included is a series of new mandatory minimum laws. The Quebec Bar Association will be taking this to court.

The Quebec Bar Association has announced its plan to contest the constitutionality of minimum sentencing in the Conservative government's omnibus crime legislation.

The controversial Bill C-10, the Safe Streets and Communities Act, was passed last March in the House of Commons and lays out tougher jail sentences and mandatory minimum sentencing.
    CBC News

Even if Bill C-10 is struck down piece-by-piece, it falling apart will likely be a huge blow to the Conservatives.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Good. That law combined with the "foreign criminals" law made for some obviously questionable motives on the part of the Conservatives.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    Good. That law combined with the "foreign criminals" law made for some obviously questionable motives on the part of the Conservatives.
    Oh, so that is why children of refugees born in Canada are being deported to countries they've never been to?

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    Oh, so that is why children of refugees born in Canada are being deported to countries they've never been to?
    Mandatory minimums would result in a lot more Canadians (permanent residents are supposed to be covered under the Charter) being removed from the only country they've known.

Harper not only wants to stop immigration, he wants to get rid of existing immigrants, any way possible.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.