Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Onion Does it Again

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar

The Onion Does it Again

OMG, this is hilarious.

Apparently, China's paper People's Daily believed an Onion report and made it big news.

Kim Jong Un - Sexiest man alive! Who in their right minds would disagree???

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Accidental misunderstanding... or a subversive at the paper who knew full well the original article was satire and decided to have a little fun?
    I wrote a blog.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
    The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
    The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Either way, it's pretty hilarious. Especially Onion's write up. So over -the- top and ridiculous. I love it.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Echo View Post
    Either way, it's pretty hilarious. Especially Onion's write up. So over -the- top and ridiculous. I love it.
    I agree, but you know me... I'm rooting for the subversive.
    I wrote a blog.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
    The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
    The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Unban Opty now, m'kay? Rufus Coppertop's Avatar
    Yep! Either way.
    Situation not optymum. Missing the pure, undiluted awesome.

Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    "With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true. Blessed with an air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side, Kim made this newspaper's editorial board swoon with his impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and, of course, that famous smile," it said. "He has that rare ability to somehow be completely adorable and completely macho at the same time,"
    Oh come on! This description... Kim Jong Un's actual appearance... State media stupidity!

But I bet Kim's got a print of the original Onion article pinned above his bed. Then again, he's got his own state media to kiss his ass.

Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    One prior sexiest man alive was the Unabomber. Why didn't that ring any bells?

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    "Pyongyang-bred heartthrob."

I am so using that as my user title...
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Three words: Dubai Ports World

Entertainment Ronin
    This isn't the first time the revered People's Daily has run with a piece from The Onion. I don't know anyone who works for the Daily personally, but I'm beginning to believe they're a bunch of dimwits.

hahahahahahaha!!!!
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

practical experience, FTW drzimo's Avatar
    I want to know the government official who is in charge of Googling "sexiest man alive".

practical experience, FTW
    Well humour and satire doesn't necessarily translate well into other languages more lost in translation than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    Well humour and satire doesn't necessarily translate well into other languages more lost in translation than anything.
    True, but it doesn't make this any less funny. Not to me, anyway.
    T.H Lawrence

True, but it doesn't make this any less funny. Not to me, anyway.
    Me neither! Thanks for posting this, it really made me laugh!
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    Me neither! Thanks for posting this, it really made me laugh!
    Yay! You are welcome, my dear.
    T.H Lawrence

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    The real creepy thing is no one will ever tell Kim Jung Un it was a joke.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    The real creepy thing is no one will ever tell Kim Jung Un it was a joke.
    Would you?
    T.H Lawrence

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    I bet he's having a statue commissioned of himself on that horse as we speak.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Three words: Dubai Ports World