Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Medical question

practical experience, FTW

Cool Medical question

Hi all. Is there a system in human anatomy that is similar in appearance to the fibrous root system of trees? The closest thing I've found is where the nerve filaments meet the spinal cord. I want to draw an analogy and I'd prefer something with a bad connotation - a tumor or something similarly unhealthy would be perfect. Thanks a bunch!!!

The circulatory system with the branching arteries and arterioles. The branching of the arteries is sometimes called the arterial tree.
    The bronchi and bronchioles in the lungs.

Health writer
    In leprosy, infection can travel through the nerves, from the skin to the spinal cord. Time frame: months/years.

Cancer metastases spread either via the circulatory or lymphatic system to various distant organs and lymph nodes. Time frame: weeks/months.

In shingles (1 min video), infection travels from ganglia near the spinal cord to the peripheral nerves and skin; usually only one, but occasionally more peripheral nerve branches are involved. Time frame: few weeks

Infection (pneumonia, a skin boil (furuncle) caused by Staphylococci bacteria, etc.) can enter the bloodstream and causes sepsis (blood poisoning) that can potentially affect all body organs. Time frame: hours.

Quote Originally Posted by boron View Post
    In leprosy, infection can travel through the nerves, from the skin to the spinal cord. Time frame: months/years.

Cancer metastases spread either via the circulatory or lymphatic system to various distant organs and lymph nodes. Time frame: weeks/months.

In shingles (1 min video), infection travels from ganglia near the spinal cord to the peripheral nerves and skin; usually only one, but occasionally more peripheral nerve branches are involved. Time frame: few weeks

Infection (pneumonia, a skin boil (furuncle) caused by Staphylococci bacteria, etc.) can enter the bloodstream and causes sepsis (blood poisoning) that can potentially affect all body organs. Time frame: hours.
    Don't forget Rabies virus - travels from the peripheral nerves up the tree to the CNS.

Health writer
    Quote Originally Posted by lbender View Post
    Don't forget Rabies virus - travels from the peripheral nerves up the tree to the CNS.
    Don't forget that originally I have one thought, now I have 64 of them and if I don't stop, it will become unhealthy...so the OP can use this example as well.

Smile

Thanks Guys. When I make a million off my first novel and retire to a palatial estate on Tahiti, you each have a personal invitation for a visit. Thanks again.

Airfare included?

You might want to consider the network of blood vessels that grows inside a cancer tumor - without that network, the tumor dies of starvation. (In fact, cancer cells grow in our bodies more often than you'd think; it's the ones that acquire the ability to feed themselves and avoid apoptosis that become dangerous.)
    "Crazy visions you got. Come with me to barber, we bleed you, you see right, everything good. I buy for you first leech."
    - The Wrong Sword

And Read The Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by lbender View Post
    Airfare included?
    LOL. I'm sorry. I budgeted that money for my pool and cabana girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Ted View Post
    You might want to consider the network of blood vessels that grows inside a cancer tumor - without that network, the tumor dies of starvation.
    Thanks Ted. That works great.