Are Mobile Internet Devices for Laptops Worth It?

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a plug in mobile internet service for my laptop. They say it is three megabites and will be all the time we need to use the internet unless somebody is hooked on games. No one is but I have no idea just how much use this would give us. Can anyone give me any idea?

We can get this for around $30 a month where a regular internet service will be much more expensive than that since it's for a business.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The hardware or the software are not the issue. USB keys that hook you to the cellphone networks are reliable.

For US$30/month, you are allowed a maximum amount of data which is usually something like 100MB for the month. It's enough for emails and a few google searches. But anything multimedia (YouTube / Facebook) sustained for long sessions and you'll bust that limit easily. This is where the data plan will cost you far more than US$30 a month. I've seen people bark when they check their monthly bills and it ran in the hundreds if not in the thousands of dollars. No kidding.

-cb

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, cb. That's something like what I was afraid of. We went ahead and sprung for regular internet.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Also your screwed if your area is not covered by the cel plan.

One family member got the mifi from verizon. She doesn't travel much and only wanted it to connect to the internet with her ipad at home. Turns out, while Verizon covers Denver, there is a specific pocket in the Denver area that Verizon doesn't cover.

Guess who lives in that pocket?

And they sold it to her anyway and she's locked into a two year contract.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Our area is on the fringe of the seven county area the plan covered, so we would not have had extended coverage at all but it would have coverage at the main location. I hate the way they pull people in and don't tell them things like that. It might be that your sister could get in touch with the utilities commission in your state and get a reversal on the contract. We've had to do that in the past, and if Verison misrepresented the plan, they'll be more than glad to back down when the utilities commission questions them.

We hate long term contracts. That's what the main problem was in finding an internet supplier here. Everyone wanted three-year commitments. I'm not sure what I want to be doing that far ahead, and if a chance comes to sell our business, I want to do it without all the commitment crap. We finally worked out an arrangement with the phone company for a one year commitment at a reasonable price. When they realized we were not going to meet their out-of-reason demands, they made us a deal.

Good luck to your kin.

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't like the deceptive practices described above, and they are way too common. But remember, you get 30 days to try it out.

USE THEM! Invent places you MIGHT go, make sure it works, and bug the hell out of Customer Service to make sure you know how much data you've used and what it's costing you. If data usage doesn't show within 24 hours, it's a fair bet that you roamed, and that's a hit on the cost.

As for the data limits, I think it's a bit simplistic to say they're all low-limit. Cricket Wireless has a $35/month plan with a 2GB limit. T-Mobile doesn't have a data limit. Not technically. They slow your bandwidth WAY down, though, if you go over 2GB. Virgin Mobile rides on the Sprint network, and provides the same no-GB-limit service that Sprint offers.

Those low-usage plans *do* exist. I just don't see them as quite the norm that was previously suggested.