• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brayer Publishing

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing we haven't seen before.

There are so many of these publishing companies that exist primarily or solely to publish and service the publisher's own work. Can we come up with a name for them, like YADS for display sites?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Nothing we haven't seen before.

There are so many of these publishing companies that exist primarily or solely to publish and service the publisher's own work. Can we come up with a name for them, like YADS for display sites?

YAAP: Yet Another Author/Publisher?

(With apologies to Mrs Yaap, my beloved high school journalism teacher.)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
We should probably distinguish between the ones that are just DBAs (doing business as) for a self published author and don't pretend to publish other authors and those that are pretending to be markets.

DBAs can be useful for busines and tax purposes and shouldn't be confused with someone setting up a site and claiming to be a publisher open to submissions.

Disclaimer: I have such a DBA (Achronal Press) for my self pubbed books and software.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
We should probably distinguish between the ones that are just DBAs (doing business as) for a self published author and don't pretend to publish other authors and those that are pretending to be markets.

DBAs can be useful for busines and tax purposes and shouldn't be confused with someone setting up a site and claiming to be a publisher open to submissions.

Agreed. There is a distinct difference. The only reason I posted this one is because they claim to take submissions of other people's work, even if it is by invitation only.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. There is a distinct difference. The only reason I posted this one is because they claim to take submissions of other people's work, even if it is by invitation only.
That is the big distinction. It's not a problem if self-published authors have their own imprints. All they can do is screw up their own books, which are their own property and their own look-out. It's when they solicit other writers' work, and undertake to publish it, that we take an interest in them.

Open submissions and submission by invitation only are both solicitation. They're asking to be granted the use of other authors' work.

A basic explanation for anyone who hasn't previously run into this pattern: it's a tipoff when a flaky new startup publishes books written by the founder and publisher. What it generally means is that that person didn't get into the business because they wanted to be a publisher; they did it because they wanted to get their own books published. It doesn't bode well for their competence, expertise, or long-term fortitude.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still only the one book, and no longer any mention of sub info, closed or not.