• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Limitless Publishing

kjanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record, although anyone who has published through an indie would already know, there is a gap between the sale of a book on Amazon/B&N, etc and the reporting/paying of royalties of up to 3 months. Anyone claiming to know the sales of a book sooner than that is a charleton. On the other hand I've received emails and social media enough to know that the sales of my book are brisk, to say the least.

Reviews are a different matter. I admit that I've read many a good book and when I'm finished, the last thing on my mind is going to Amazon and doing a review. I don't know that I'm much different than the average reader when it comes to that. I read a novel a week and I just don't take the time to review, even though I ask others to do it.

I've had several on-line interviews about my book and have a piece coming out soon in a local newspaper. A national Foundation may be endorsing "Siblings" as well. I owe it all to Limitless; for their encouragement and support during the publishing process and beyond. Those of you who pan Limitless have obviously not had any personal experience with them.

Okay, enough setting the record straight. Please let this author get back to his "great American novel".

Ken

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Was replying to Ravioli above re: the strangenesses of English. Ken came back while I was still polishing my magnum opus. So my last sentence is prophetic.

If you think of 1940s film noir where the insulted lady turns and departs using lots of body language...in sort of a bouncy, sashaying way, with nose in the air...that's a classic flounce. On the internet version, it's more of a "I'm taking my toys and going home" sort of thing--one has to imagine the body language. However, it is often accompanied by comments ranging from hurt, to whiny, to snide, to passive-aggressive, to all-out-pull-out-the-stops vitriol. So the courteous way in which Ken flounced was certainly on the nicer side of the scale. If indeed he did flounce and he's not just taking a writing break.

Last edited:

LadyErBeth

Registered
Reaction score
I am a Limitless author myself, and not a happy one.

I have never heard of a single case of Limitless doing anything regarding interviews or newspapers. Not only is that not setting the record straight, that's very misleading to people who might make the mistake of signing with them.

Why do you feel the need to announce you're leaving? This is a message board. People have been coming and going for years now. Good grief.

LadyErBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Limitless' marketing consists of begging authors to plug each other and pay for services offered by their own employees. They do not reach out to newspapers on the author's behalf. If they did that kind of promotion, they wouldn't admit that author's pay for marketing out of their own pocket on their website.

http://www.limitlesspublishing.net/submissions/#faq

Snark? Please. I'm just giving people facts (which you have never done), so they don't make the same mistake I did. I want the rights to my awfully edited series back.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it courteous to say goodbye because so many conversations had been opened and left hanging. If you are really a published Limitless author and not a wishful thinker, then you would be up-to-date on all their latest marketing efforts. If they hurt your feelings by rejecting you, just dust yourself off and try somebody else. Don't snark at them like a spoiled child.
(1) Calling another author a liar just because they had a bad experience with your publisher is not okay.

(2) Being unsatisfied (publicly, loudly unsatisfied) is not snarking. If an author has a bad experience with a publisher, then they're doing the community a service by speaking up.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
ETA: Was replying to Ravioli above re: the strangnesses of English. Ken came back while I was still polishing my magnum opus. So my last sentence is prophetic.

If you think of 1940s film noir where the insulted lady turns and departs using lots of body language...in sort of a bouncy, sashaying way, with nose in the air...that's a classic flounce. On the internet version, it's more of a "I'm taking my toys and going home" sort of thing--one has to imagine the body language. However, it is often accompanied by comments ranging from hurt, to whiny, to snide, to passive-aggressive, to all-out-pull-out-the-stops vitriol. So the courteous way in which Ken flounced was certainly on the nicer side of the scale. If indeed he did flounce and he's not just taking a writing break.
Ah! Lovely, colorful explanation, thank you :D

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Blah, I misread something.

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, they say (bolding mine):

A publisher, however small, should not expect you to do anything out of your own pocket.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I thought by "our" they meant the publisher. Although apparently they want authors to pay for the publicist that's hired by the publisher? Still haven't gotten that clarified.

ETA: This also sounds like a case of "protest too much" to me. From reading on this forum it's my understanding that good publishers assume they'll pay for marketing, and authors are to assume the same.

Last edited:

LadyErBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Lydia Harbaugh and Crystal Harms, the marketing team, run HEA Book Tours.

http://heabooktours.blogspot.com/

If you look here, you'll see many Limitless authors use them. So in essence, Limitless authors pay the employees for marketing.

This isn't going to be a big deal for everyone, but it's certainly a conflict of interest from a promotional standpoint. Maybe even more so for non-Limitless authors who use HEA.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a bad experience and make accusations against a publisher, you should be (person) enough to identify yourself and the literary piece in question and not hid behind anonymity. It's not as if the Publisher wouldn't know of the grievance.

Let's get it all in the open and stop this nonsense.

I have been open about my experience from the get-go.

Balls in yout court, M'Lady

Plenty of bad publishers will retaliate against authors who speak out. Given that this one proclaims itself one big happy family, I would consider them more likely, not less, to react that way. Further, why would LEB want to give more sales to a publisher she probably wants out of?

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a bad experience and make accusations against a publisher, you should be (person) enough to identify yourself and the literary piece in question and not hid behind anonymity. It's not as if the Publisher wouldn't know of the grievance.

Let's get it all in the open and stop this nonsense.

I have been open about my experience from the get-go.

Balls in yout court, M'Lady

That is complete poppycock. There are many legitimate reasons to adopt an alias on the internet, and it's completely understandable that someone would want anonymity while making a complaint to avoid repercussions from the publisher in question. I'm happy that you've had a good experience with this publisher, but that doesn't invalidate the experiences of anyone else.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Sweet lady, nothing on your link to Limitless says anything other than they expect the author to do some promoting for their book. Oh! how terrible. Of course if you really had a book with them, wouldn't you pull out all the stops to promote it? This isn't
Any author will promote their own book to a reasonable extent, but at some point they said you should promote other peoples' work and that is ludicrous. You can't rely on others promoting you back beyond half-assedly, so why waste your precious time and credit promoting the work of others without being sure to get anything back? After all, promoting books can be viewed as spam on many platforms and depending how heavily you do it. Hence what little degree you can do this to, should be spent on your own work. No way in hell I'm helping other people sell theirs if it's not mutual. Publishing isn't a group hug, it's business.

Also, I have enough experience in online content creation to know it takes very little time to create a newsletter, a page, a blog. It wouldn't kill any publisher or their employees to dedicate 30 minutes to feeding the cows they milk. If you're gonna milk me, it's your job to feed me, brush me, nurse me, and keep me cozy. Indie or not, I did most of the work by writing what you're gonna make money off, so making a cutesie little page about my book and perhaps myself, really isn't gonna cut it because I know how much time that takes: zero. When I was still into it, I would code, design, and content-stuff an entire website from scratch with some 20 to 50 pages within one day, domain it, newsletter it, and spam all the platforms I was on. Now that social media are giving you even more ways to promote and even build your book's presence with no coding or design skill required, I really do not accept the notion of a publisher promoting a book, as challenging.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a bad experience and make accusations against a publisher, you should be (person) enough to identify yourself and the literary piece in question and not hid behind anonymity.
Why?

No one here is required to out themselves.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
kjanssen if you're going to leave, then leave, enough with the personal attacks.