Canuck writer says "Hello, eh?"

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the Water Cooler. I just finished my manuscript and now have to sell, sell, sell :( Unfortunately I don't know the American agents at all. That's why I'm trolling the boards. Canadian publishing is pint-sized in comparison.
Any tips, shortcuts? Writer's Digest seems to come out with a list of "top 20 lit agencies" or "top 25 lit agents" but I'm not sure how much stock I should put into them.
Much thanks.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Go to Chapters, find books you like and books like yours (same genre and market) and find out who represents those authors.

Hi.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome merlot13! Definitely take some time to learn AW. There's tons of information you need to know. Besides finding agents and publishers for your novel, don't forget about queries and submitting the them and your manuscript. See you 'round the boards.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!
Here's my first ignorant question: there's a category about rejections. I know I saw it but I can't find it again.
I just started submitting, so I want to know what I'm in for.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Welcome!

I would second jenn's advice - your local bookstore (or your online bookstore) of choice might be the best place to start. I remember I started clicking on books in my genre on amazon, scrolling down to look at the publisher, cross-referencing with the Bewares section of the forum, then going to the publisher's website and looked up submission guidelines. (note: I write in an ePublisher-heavy genre, so I was targeting small but established ePublishers that take unagented submissions.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

We have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

You can also check Agent Query and Publishers Marketplace for agents who represent your genre and then check their reputation here at Bewares and and Backgrounds

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Merlot143!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

mugwort

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.societyfordaintydamsels.com
Hi Canuck
I hope the replies here in finding US agents are helpful. BTW why do you think you are a troll. A troll is someone , at least to me, who goes against the general tone of a forum. Plus he or she writes rather mean spirited posts. I don't believe either is true of you.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all :) I'll navigate the forums with grace and dignity, even while asking the newbie questions :)

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Merlot143

Welcome to AW.

If you think the Canadian market for fiction is pint-size spare a thought for us writers in the NZ market - it's eye dropper size here.
Best of luck.
Eric