Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Camacho had all kinds of difficulties with drugs, and this sad event has all the earmarks of a drug deal gone bad or something similar. A significant amount of cocaine was found in the car and in the personal possession of the other man killed in the incident. Which doesn't make Camacho's death right or deserved or anything like that, but only gives it some measure of understandability.

In addition to which, near the end of his career, he was a shell of the boxer he once had been, slowed down and having problems with slurred speech. His last pro fight, with the younger Oscar de la Hoya, was a joke.

Nothing but sad, this entire story.

caw

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I have vivid memories of being in the Cowboy Corral at Texas Stadium, September of '92, with Camacho vs. Chavez on big screens on both ends of the tent. I didn't know or really care about boxing, but I was selling satellite feeds of fights that fall.

Cowboy Corral had an occupancy of 800. We had 1200 people spilling out of the sides of the tent, and they made two- three runs back to the stadium for more beer kegs.

Cheering, screaming, singing... It was a helluva fun night.

I still don't know much about boxing, but the emotions that night charged and inspired everybody under the tent, regardless of who they were cheering for.

RIP sir. You were a battler.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score