Status
Not open for further replies.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
jamesaritchie: I do this with probably 99.9% of the writers/books I read. But now and then a writer isn't just good, he's incredible, and book isn't simply well-written, it's staggering, so far above what I'll ever be able to do that I wave the white flag.
You've read my work?! I am humbled beyond humbility. ;)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I'm more of a starfucker (metaphorically), so I'm not like "grr, why is RedWombat published and not me" but rather "awesome, RedWombat is here."

For the record, she was the example I was going to use even before I saw she'd posted in this thread.

In general I don't feel that someone else being published, even someone who sucks -- especially if they suck -- takes anything away from me.

Aww, you're kind. Although now I feel a little guilty about the certificate thing. *grin*

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
When something gets published that I think sucks, I don't feel envy either, just outrage that such dreck should succeed. Also a deep sense of hopelessness for the species, that any human -- that many humans! -- should buy and even enjoy this corrosive garbage. We're going down, baby. Only the doomsday preppers will survive, and they've already stuffed their garages with literary POOP with which to while away the long radioactive, zombie-infested, disease-ridden nights....

And then I get over it.

YES, this

QUOTE]

I do this with probably 99.9% of the writers/books I read. But now and then a writer isn't just good, he's incredible, and book isn't simply well-written, it's staggering, so far above what I'll ever be able to do that I wave the white flag.[/QUOTE]

And this.......

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You've read my work?! I am humbled beyond humbility. ;)

Yes, of course I was talking about your work. Ease up a little, will you? Write a rough sentence or three. Your brilliant prose makes me want to stop writing completely.

And can I please have your autograph?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kkbe
You've read my work?! I am humbled beyond humbility.

Yes, of course I was talking about your work. Ease up a little, will you? Write a rough sentence or three. Your brilliant prose makes me want to stop writing completely.

Oh, get a room you two...

ETA: ;)

Also :2angel:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
jamesaritchie: Yes, of course I was talking about your work. Ease up a little, will you? Write a rough sentence or three. Your brilliant prose makes me want to stop writing completely.

"OMG, really? Holy crap, Batman!" (<Yet another example of kkbe's brilliant prose. Oh, and btw jamesaritchie, any time you want to stop writing completely, you just go ahead and do that. We shall support you 100%. :D )

mccardey: Oh, get a room you two...

ETA: ;)

Also :2angel:
Why do we need a room, mccardey? Are you implying or insinuating . . . wait, why are you winking? Is this an inside joke? Do you and jamesaritchie know something I don't?

What's with that little smiley angel thingie? Why is jamesaritchie running away?

:D

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can get a little jealous when I see that other people are published while I'm still wandering around, trying to find the story that will bring me that success. But I don't begrudge anyone the fact that they are published. In fact, I'm happy for them.

And then it makes me all the more determined. When I see that somebody else has traveled the difficult path to being published, I feel more strongly that I can travel that road myself.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

I love this quote and want it on a T-shirt.

I used to get desperately jealous of things like book-signings, launches...then I went to a few and had my own, and realised for most new authors who aren't celebs for some other reason, a signing or a launch is basically a handful of your most loyal mates turning up and going...'so, um, cool...' and wondering where all the fans are, because, like you, the only signings they've heard about are for people like Terry Pratchett where the queues stretch for miles. So I got over that.
Then I got jealous of people who could write full time, and I had the massive fortune to get another (not huge, but there) source of income and ditched the day job. Ulp. So now I write full time and I've realised that yay, yes, I love it, but it's a friggin' job and has to be treated as such, it doesn't mean I'm just floating around in flowery dresses drinking champers with my muse.
But jealousy of other writers that I don't think I'll ever match up to? Oh yeah, still there. This is probably a good thing. It makes me try harder.

sargeorge

Learning to tie my shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
I am so far below a published author I'm leaf mulch. I therefore do not get jealous of them, I get inspired.

Maybe when I've finished my novel and had it rejected a thousand times the envy may kick in.

Shika Senbei

Me want a cookie!
Registered
Reaction score
Why do we need a room, mccardey? Are you implying or insinuating . . . wait, why are you winking? Is this an inside joke? Do you and jamesaritchie know something I don't?

What's with that little smiley angel thingie? Why is jamesaritchie running away?

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
Okay... I'll say it. I hate all you published people! With all your fancy words and you putting them in all the right order and everything! I could be published if I had your talent and work ethic! It's completely unfair!

I'm glad I finally got that off my chest! Thanks OP. :D

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Stephen King addressed the value of reading both great and lousy books in ON WRITING. For different reasons, I took away a lot from reading Alex Adams' debut, as well as the mess one of Al Gore's adult children wrote (trying to maintain respect of my fellow writer). It's a good thing to aspire. Other work can be an excellent visual aid in what not to do.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I'm not jealous of those people who have been published. I don't have anything written that's worth publishing, so it's no one's fault but mine. I can aspire to be published. I have had short form things published. It's not unthinkable that I would have something longer published eventually.

I do feel jealous of some writing. There are some incredible writers about that I could never even hope to touch, and that's tough to reconcile - I can't aspire to be more naturally gifted, that ship has sailed.

AMtran

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I doubt I'm the only one who this happens to, but sometimes when I'm reading a thread and writers are talking about their experiences with being published, the green eyed monster might tap me on the shoulder and I have to tell it to shove off.

I don’t get envious, but what I feel instead is doubt about my ability to write a good story. I start to worry that maybe I should just concentrate on getting promoted for my day job. Or that maybe I should use my writing time to exercise.

I worry that I am not good enough. But I also know that success depends on the amount of effort you put into it. I figure if you do something diligently for a while, you can’t help but get better at it. I just focus on myself and what I can do to improve. When I develop tunnel vision and stop listening to the noise, I find that I am happy just to have written another 1000 words. Other people’s success is not going to dictate whether or not I am happy with my achievements.

Last edited:

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I don’t get envious, but what I feel instead is doubt about my ability to write a good story. I start to worry that maybe I should just concentrate on getting promoted for my day job. Or that maybe I should use my writing time to exercise.

I worry that I am not good enough. But I also know that success depends on the amount of effort you put into it. I figure if you do something diligently for a while, you can’t help but get better at it. I just focus on myself and what I can do to improve. When I develop tunnel vision and stop listening to the noise, I find that I am happy just to have written another 1000 words. Other people’s success is not going to dictate whether or not I am happy with my achievements.

Well put. Thanks AMtran for your honesty.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
Sure, it's human nature.

I'm always going to be at least slightly jealous of people who are more successful in the field I want to succeed in than I am. Or that they're just more immeasurably gifted at writing than I am. I just try to learn from what they've done, emulate, and move forward.

And drink.

A lot.

Tolstoyce

The glint of light on broken glass
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I find myself envying the writers I see on here who have their book covers in their siggies and avs. But the more powerful emotion I feel is intimidation. I know that getting published doesn't just involve smarts and industry know-how--there's persistence and luck involved, too--but my mind seems to treat the published authors as if they have the key to some unattainable heaven. They're in the club. Now, of course, published authors were just like us unpublished authors once, and I'm sure many of them aren't intimidating. I can't help feeling it, though!

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
...published authors were just like us unpublished authors once, and I'm sure many of them aren't intimidating.
Apart from the publications, we're all still pretty human, you know. I mean, obvious supernatural brilliance aside... <loses glasses, trips over cat, spills coffee over brilliant story in Analog and angsts about clumsiness plus how have never been in Analog and am therefore obviously rubbish...>

Status
Not open for further replies.