Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

  1. #1
    a person worse than you. Absolute Sage William Haskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    deep in the forest
    Posts
    26,311

    Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

    CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.

    Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.

    It's an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. The Vermont Democrat boasted last year that his bill "provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant."


    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...news&tag=title

  2. #2
    a person worse than you. Absolute Sage William Haskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    deep in the forest
    Posts
    26,311
    Revised bill highlights

    ✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
    ✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
    ✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
    ✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
    ✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...news&tag=title

  3. #3
    Delerium ex Ennui Xelebes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    12,423
    What a bizarre bill.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    5,203
    Guess SOPA survived after all

  5. #5
    All Living is Local Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Agorism FTW!
    Posts
    22,623
    Got PGP?
    I wrote a blog.

    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
    The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
    The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

    I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

  6. #6
    nurturing tomorrows criminals today PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moose Creek, Maine
    Posts
    25,901
    reading a book about the early beginnings of the KGB right now ..got to be careful to pay attention to what I am reading to remember whether I am reading that .. or this.


    not worried though ... Comrade Obama will protect our rights by not letting this happen.
    Last edited by PorterStarrByrd; 11-21-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/


    We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown

  7. #7
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Dear Patrick Leahy,

    You're fired.

    Love,

    The American People
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  8. #8
    Petulantly Penitent Magdalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Fetters of Oblivion
    Posts
    5,929
    So in the near future I can expect to receive Emails with portions redacted, just like the families of soldiers during WW2?

    WTF???
    [My Best Work Is Done Offline

  9. #9
    Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wossamotta U.
    Posts
    39,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
    So in the near future I can expect to receive Emails with portions redacted, just like the families of soldiers during WW2?

    WTF???
    Don't Be Silly.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

    Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

    Three words: Dubai Ports World

  10. #10
    All Living is Local Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Agorism FTW!
    Posts
    22,623
    Somebody call the government. They'll protect us!



    Oh, wait...
    I wrote a blog.

    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
    The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
    The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

    I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

  11. #11
    I'm writing. Undistractable. mccardey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia.
    Posts
    8,047
    Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants
    Unless you're - yanno - Not American.


    *sigh*

    If you prick us, do we not bleed?

  12. #12
    Lost in School Work icerose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, Utah
    Posts
    11,548
    This is not for our benefit.
    This will not protect us.
    This will not make us more secure.
    This and the patriot act need to be booted out.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

    I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/

  13. #13
    My Fist Your Face nighttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cowtown. Moo.
    Posts
    7,707

    Invading Your Privacy? Dems Do it Too!

    It's an awful, awful bill and it opens a Pandora's Box that will never be closed again.
    Revised bill highlights

    • Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
    • Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
    • Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
    • Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
    • Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.
    Among the 22 agencies that would have access to the e-mails of American citizens:

    The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, the Federal Maritime Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Mine Enforcement Safety and Health Review Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, the Postal Regulatory Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection, the Office of Financial Research, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and
    any other similar agency designated by statute as a Federal independent regulatory agency or commission.

    Wow. What a gross overreach of government power. Sen. Leahy should be embarrassed.

    And anyone concerned about this sort of intrusion and invasion of privacy should be spitting MAD.

    Here's the names of the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Is your Congresscritter on the list?
    The memory of oppressed people is one thing that cannot be taken away, and for such people, with such memories, revolt is always an inch below the surface.
    HOWARD ZINN, A People's History of the United States


    Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory



  14. #14
    Kreon Prowl AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    He doesn't think he's smarter than everyone else, he knows he's smarter than everyone else.
    Posts
    43,760
    I'll make it easy for them. Now they won't even have to check my e-mail

    Dear Federal Government,

    FUCK YOU!


    Regards,
    reg
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

    Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

  15. #15
    waxing digital artistic Gale Haut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Swamplands
    Posts
    3,013
    ETA: I just tweeted the following:
    Gale Haut ‏@galehaut
    @JohnCornyn I would let you know how thankful I am for you, but I guess you'll just read my personal email for that info.
    Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    I'll make it easy for them. Now they won't even have to check my e-mail

    Dear Federal Government,

    FUCK YOU!


    Regards,
    reg
    QFMFT
    Last edited by Gale Haut; 11-22-2012 at 06:02 PM.

  16. #16
    Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

    CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.

    Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.

    It's an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. The Vermont Democrat boasted last year that his bill "provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant."


    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...news&tag=title
    I'm surprised you did not include the follow-up story which followed fast on the heels of the first story two days ago. It announced that Leahy had withdrawn his support after public criticism:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...eillance-bill/

    There was a very big, highly visible link to the follow up story at the beginning of the OP link, which is just as well as I had just pulled out the ol' stationery to write a letter of protest to my Senator, Dick Durbin.

    So, scary though this bill is, it is no longer being supported.

  17. #17
    Grand Duchess Ambrosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In the Castle, of course.
    Posts
    20,733
    Though it is no longer being supported by Leahy, isn't it still going up for a vote next week? His removing his support doesn't stop it from being voted on, does it?
    ..


    "Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

    “Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.” –Khalil Gibran
    .


  18. #18
    a person worse than you. Absolute Sage William Haskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    deep in the forest
    Posts
    26,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    I'm surprised you did not include the follow-up story which followed fast on the heels of the first story two days ago. It announced that Leahy had withdrawn his support after public criticism:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...eillance-bill/

    There was a very big, highly visible link to the follow up story at the beginning of the OP link, which is just as well as I had just pulled out the ol' stationery to write a letter of protest to my Senator, Dick Durbin.

    So, scary though this bill is, it is no longer being supported.
    i had already read the story, so a link added after the fact wasn't something i would have noticed.

    that said, one would think your post would have been an excerpt from the update adding new information -- rather than the veiled accusation that my lack of followup was unfairly painting leahy as something he isn't.

    because he is exactly what he was when he bent over for the feds in the first place. he abandoned the legislation specifically because the public outcry.

    so instead of being "surprised" that i didn't rush back to vindicate pat leahy, you should be thanking me for the OP which, in some part, contributed to the public shaming that brought that weasel-faced fucker back into line with some semblance of decent leadership.

  19. #19
    Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    i had already read the story, so a link added after the fact wasn't something i would have noticed.

    that said, one would think your post would have been an excerpt from the update adding new information -- rather than the veiled accusation that my lack of followup was unfairly painting leahy as something he isn't.

    because he is exactly what he was when he bent over for the feds in the first place. he abandoned the legislation specifically because the public outcry.

    so instead of being "surprised" that i didn't rush back to vindicate pat leahy, you should be thanking me for the OP which, in some part, contributed to the public shaming that brought that weasel-faced fucker back into line with some semblance of decent leadership.
    Ah. My error.

    I had assumed you started this thread in order to discuss an atrocious proposed bill, not to vilify the author of it. Indeed, the thread title and the information as presented seemed to support this interpretation.

    Mind you, nothing in my post expressed any support whatsoever of Patrick Leahy. Nor would I do so. The bill is as craven a piece of dangerous power grabbing as I have seen. Mr. Leahy's judgement and character are clear, but I assumed that dwelling on that would be a distraction from the far more important matter of the bill itself.

    Given that I thought the bill, not Mr. Leahy's character, was the topic of this thread, I assumed that my information that support for the bill had been withdrawn would save a lot of people from anxiety. I might have considered quoting from the article, but it seemed unnecessary given that a link was included and in light of the simple news that the bill was effectively dead.

    I see nothing in my previous post in support of Patrick Leahy, nor any requirement that you defend his character.

  20. #20
    "Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    between the 1 and the 0
    Posts
    18,966
    Withdrawing support is nice for Mr. Leahy, in terms of trying to save face. Pulling the bill so it doesn't come up for a vote would actually do something, though. I'm thinking another note to Out senators wouldn't be amiss.

    Senator Durbin's life on the net pretty much began with misadventure and amateur efforts. When content filtering went into effect in public schools and some public offices across the state, his office's site was one of the first ones blocked. I wish I could have been the one to point out why. "Sir, your first name is Dick."
    Last edited by Williebee; 11-23-2012 at 04:50 AM.

    "There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

    Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

    Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

    Read the Newbie Guide.

    "We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."

  21. #21
    Joker Groupie Celia Cyanide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    probably watching DARK KNIGHT
    Posts
    14,065
    What is the point of this?

    Why would anybody want to read my emails? It's all spam anyway!
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

    My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

  22. #22
    Old revolutionary muravyets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    7,215
    Why am I imagining that this could save the Postal Service?
    Hell is other people. -- Jean Paul Sartre

    Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

    The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
    Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
    Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
    Me on Facebook.

  23. #23
    It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Transcending Canines
    Posts
    20,307
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

  24. #24
    It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Transcending Canines
    Posts
    20,307
    I am Phil Zimmerman.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

  25. #25
    delicate #!&@*#! flower Perks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    At some altitude
    Posts
    16,787
    Quote Originally Posted by muravyets View Post
    Why am I imagining that this could save the Postal Service?
    There you go.

    I'm not that easily shocked, and perhaps I shouldn't be in this case, but here I sit, shocked to buzzing.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search