How big is your cast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korabas

So Say We All
Registered
Reaction score
2 MCs, several important secondary characters/antagonists, various supporting cast

Forlorn-ember

Returning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have two MCs, 1 major supporting, 1 minor supporting and a couple of people in the background. hmm may not make sense to you, but it does to me.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
One FMC, one MMC, one male villian, a host of orphaned children, several prisoners on the loose, and support cast of approximatley 144,000! :ROFL: And then there's the critters, a cat that is of importance, and two dogs that are of importance.

The story is basically told from a single point of view except for a one page chapter that is told from another character's point of view. That one page chapter is important because it sets the story up for what will happen in the following chapters. I don't know if it's taboo to do or not within a book, however, it's what I did and I'm guilty as sin!

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
My casts are always on the small side. For what I'm currently working on, there is one main character and two major secondary characters (if that's the right way to describe them) and then your very minor guys.

So mine's more or less three people.

robynmackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I also tend to have tiny casts, at least when I first start. Right now in my novel I have a murder victim, my MC, her love interest, her ex, her uncle, and a cat. Plus a minor ensemble of assorted police and one clueless youth pastor. And that's rather large for me.

My other WIP started out with three characters, expanded to four, then stayed that way for years and years. Now I think I'm up to seven.

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
My cast is smaller than I usually work with. A single main character, two secondary characters (one of which shares the book's POV at times), and then a variety of supporting characters that pop up and have a part in a scene or two (this ranges from about 20-30 minor characters). I feel like this is very common, but typically I like to play with five major characters ideally. I feel comfortable that way. But I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and narrow it down a bit.

Dragonwings

Registered
Reaction score
I have one main female character, two major supporting characters, about 300 or so background characters, one villain with a supporting villainous cast.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
A MC, two major supporting characters, two antagonists and another four somewhat important minor characters. Maybe another five or six one-off named characters

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
I have one MC, 3 Major supporting, 3 minor supporting, a villain, and a cat. Plus a smattering of background characters as appropriate.

Dawn Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not completely sure what constitutes being a main, supporting, or minor character. Since it's a good example, how many main characters are there in LOTR? Does Sam count? Or is it Frodo and the three warriors? Gandalf?

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much have 5 main POVs and then each has a small contingent of supporting characters that come in and out, a supporting character who's in one chapter may not be in another, but I don't think that's a problem. Some supporting characters have been killed as well. I did have one supporting character I wasn't sure what to do with, but found a really good role for him (he was the subject of a rescue mission, fixed up in a safe house and then the plot changed a tad). I'm glad I found that because it fit exactly into my original reasoning for the rescue. I don't think my cast in reality is too big or unmanageable, I make a conscious effort to keep the chapters under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.